Storage Solutions Trick: How to create Exact 10,20 or 50 GB Partition

I didn't wanted to jump in, but somehow couldn't resist myself jumping-in.

Creating a small OS partition do helps in faster booting up, read marginal one, but do not expect any wonder figures while running a game or app installed as it is installed in another partition which is otherwise stored in a bigger partition defined in PT (Partition Table). Technically, It will take a longer time to read files in another partitoin files rather then reading file from the same partition.

To conclude how it will work like....

"App/Game in Partition C will inquire MFT about required file, MFT directs the app to Partition D which is of a larger size & more fragmented then that of Partition C, Partition C will then pickup the required file from the Partition D."

To further simplify the logic, one can understand better with how mobile works in roaming...

Caller calls the desired no., which is otherwise not in the state, local server sends a request to master server and master server in-turn inquires about the no.s availability & location and redirect the caller to the desired no. Here the connection largely depends upon the strength of network in the area desired no. is roaming in, read level of fragmentation in HDD's case, lesser the merrier.

Moral of the story you will always tangle your apps/games speed if both are installed in different partitions, as the two partition interacting each other aren't 100% matched in lieu of fragmentation level and cylinders. However things do get improved with bigger HDD cache/Higher RPM HDDs but still, it is always advisable to have most frequently used apps/games to be installed in the same partition of the OS to get a better performance and rest of the apps/games installed in another partition.

You can always feel the speed difference between a fresh install OS and a OS loaded with apps/games running from 2-3 months or so. This is basically due to the less registry and MFT clutter only at the time of fresh install.

Just my 2 cents... :)

lucky_chouhan said:
5130 MB for 5 GB
10250 MB for 10 GB
20500 MB for 20 GB
30750 MB for 30 GB
cyneuron said:
for 15 GB....

Basically Boils down to the fact that for every Increment in the 10GB slab, u increase the extra memory (in MB) count by 10.
5GB is (1024*5) = 5120 MB
Since this is within 10GB slab, u add up 10 MB extra for the partitioning.
5120+10= 5130 MB

10GB is (10*1024) = 10240 MB
Add (10) MB and u get 10250 MB

All the values upto 10GB shd follow the same trend.

As soon as u cross the 10GB barrier, increment the extra mem count by 10 again.
20GB is (20*1024) = 20480 MB
Add (10+10)MB and u get 20500 MB
Similarly keep adding 10MB for every new decade.
Now to try/Check this out wen i make the partitions the next time round :p

booo said:
so at the end, fragmented volume wont cause lot of headache, but maintaining 30 volumes of 10gb each on a 250gb hdd will surely does. and you dont need defragmentation every now and then. atleast I never needed it in the past 5 years.

rofl, you misunderstood me. who said make 10 gb partitions in the entire hard disk. How can you even think that :p. I have 640 Gb WD. I just said keep your os/system partition small. Keep all your space hogs like music, vids and data which you don't move, together in a giant partition. Install your games and applications in a separate mid size partition. Also, keep you downloads and paging partitions (if you do use a swap file) in separate partitions as repeated writes and rewrites tend to fragment the drive more.

fragmentation decreases the life of your hard disk as it puts more load on it.

defrag is not a daily task but one which you should do every couple of months.

Currently on my 640 gb hdd, i have a 4 gb xp partition, 8 gb vista partition, 100 gb programs partition and the the rest (>500 gb) is allocated to keeping my data like music, vids, pics and installers. Downloads and backups are in separate hard disks and i don't use paging. Nothing beats a streamlined disk management strategy.

neway,nuff said. to each his own:rofl:

..:: Free Radical ::.. said:
I just said keep your os/system partition small. Keep all your space hogs like music, vids and data which you don't move, together in a giant partition. Install your games and applications in a separate mid size partition.
thats what my point is; keeping applications/games seperate from the os partitions will not increase read performance. although I agree that one should always keep data in other partition.

Back