Budget 41-50k Triple Monitor Setup/Computers for work [Suggest some setup]

iTechSIR

Disciple
Hey there,

My work has been increased and i was looking around to see which type of setup would be good for my needs, So i kinda liked 3 monitors setup as it'll have good space for multi-tasking at once.

I looked around, read many threads and various other articles online. I was going to place an order with some config i was able to make, but then thought i should take some suggestions from experts and from people who have this type of setup.

Q: What is your budget?
45k-50k (I'm flexible, so if there are any better setup/config for some more money, it's still fine).

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
iMac 27" - Apple 2012
MacBook Pro with Retina Display 15"
Sony Vaio - VPCF217HG
Other custom built computer which is not so powerful, so i don't use.

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Need new for new build.

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

Processor: Intel Core i7 3770 (Mainly for multi-tasking, if any better is there, let me know).
Monitor: DELL U2312HM 23" (I don't think 3 will fit on my table or even if it fits, it would take up all the space, so i might consider any other monitors if anyone can suggest?)
Cabinet: NZXT Gamma (Heard its good for airflow and stuffs like that)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB (2 x 8 GB) PC RAM (CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10) (Any better one out there?)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB (I want to put a RAID, but dunno exact config..still have to do some more research but would appreciate if anyone gives a good recommendation for this setup).
Graphics Card: This is where i got lost mostly, i have no idea about these cards, done lot of research and came up with things like Eyefinity and stuffs but not sure about its compatibility with the motherboard and what type of monitors i need for this. :|
Motherboard: This also not sure exactly, but i think Intel DH77EB should be fine?

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
No not final, I might upgrade RAM/HDD and add SSD

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Flipkart.com - This will save lot of time and there are more products range.
Bangalore - SP Road.
And maybe any other online stores? suggestions are welcome

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Multitasking (Multiple server managements, software development, debugging, deploying, internet surfing, etc..)
Graphic Designing

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Dell monitors look good, however not a fan of it nor i have ever used it before.

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
No Games.

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Desktop - Not sure of the resolution but need 3 monitors setup for sure

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit / Win 8 / Linux

Also, I want a good table/wall mounting which are easy and flexible to adjust height and to move around (forward,left,right..easy management).

Once again, I need 3 monitors setup.

All suggestions are welcome and appreciate it.

Thanks a lot in advance :)

EDIT: I'll either setup in vertical or horizontal orientation wide (3 monitors).

Hi & welcome.

You need to specify again what is your budget ? If you are keen on a triple monitor set-up then the Dell 23" itself will consume your budget of 45K :scared14:

Rest all components will cost you - additional 50-90K (yes my friend at least 90K if you are looking at Quality & robust components - motherboard/processor/gpu/psu/ram/cabinet/cpu-cooler).

Yes the 3770 or 3570 - both are good & great for multitasking/multthreading.

Cheers
Terry

if you arent playing games then any i3 processor would do.
also i dont think u need a high end graphics card.u just need a card which supports 3 monitors(usually internal graphics card supports 2).
go for a 23 inch lg led(costs 9k for 1080p version *3=27k approx)
mobo+pc cabinet+smps+ram+graphics card(15k assuming the need to go for basic editions as the use is purely office)go for a ssd 60gb for the os and an internal 500gb drive.
max price would be 50k

if you arent playing games then any i3 processor would do.
also i dont think u need a high end graphics card.u just need a card which supports 3 monitors(usually internal graphics card supports 2).
go for a 23 inch lg led(costs 9k for 1080p version *3=27k approx)
mobo+pc cabinet+smps+ram+graphics card(15k assuming the need to go for basic editions as the use is purely office)go for a ssd 60gb for the os and an internal 500gb drive.
max price would be 50k

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Multitasking (Multiple server managements, software development, debugging, deploying, internet surfing, etc..)
Graphic Designing

Inverse is true, if you want to game on a budget, the Core i3 is perfect for OP's usage no way is it going to suffice.

On the graphic card you are right.

There is nothing like an LED monitor, it is a LED backlit LCD panel. And if OP wants to pursue Graphic designing as he has mentioned, he will need an e-IPS monitor.

Which 60GB SSD do you have in mind and where has OP mentioned that the RIG is for 'office' purposes?

@iTechSIR, I suggest that you stick with the current solution you have (Apple iMac) until and unless you are ready to shell out in excess of 1 Lakh for setting up the multi-monitor RIG (not inclusive table and other sundry items).

Hope this helps, Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Thank you all for posting.

I can increase up to 1L (So no issues with that), However the only issue is that i don't have much space in my Cabin (Small office) and we made custom table according to the space so that it fits in. So i don't think those Dell monitors will fit in perfectly (Even if it fits, it wouldn't look good, need space for at least one macbook). So the idea of 23" monitor is not suitable for me.

Anyone suggest any other monitors? (Below 23" and maybe even IPS if possible, if not its ok...I don't do much designing, I have dedicated designer for this so not so important, multi-tasking is whats main for me).

I'm also ok with total config change! (The one i made up), So can you guys please list a components and stuffs needed for a good comp.?

Thanks again!

@iTechSIR, the following is what I recommend --

Intel Core i7 3770 ~18000/-
ASUS P8H77-V ~9500/- OR Intel DH77-KC ~7000/-
Corsair Vengeance OR G.Skill Ares 8GB x2 1600MHz ~5800/- (add more RAM later if required)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~4000/- OR Western Digital Black edition 1TB ~5000/- (you will need to buy two hard-drives if you intend to enable RAID 0 / 1, if you want to enable multiple levels of RAID you might need more physical drives)
Crucial M4 128GB ~8200/- (OR go for a 256GB SSD, use these as the primary OS drive and purchase the drive from onlyssd.com Buy Crucial SSD | Crucial SSD Price | Crucial Solid State Drive Review)
HP / ASUS (boxed) optical drive ~1100/-
AMD HD6670 1GB DDR5 ~5000/-
Corsair TX v2650W ~5800/-
Corsair Carbide 300R ~4500/-
DeLL U2312M ~15500/- (get as many monitors as you want, dependent on budget and space constraints)
MICROSOFT Ergonomic keyboard + mouse ~4500/-
APC BR1100VA-IN ~4600/-

Hope this helps, Cheers!

In that case. Go ahead with system.
Dont forget few pointers

Get biggest sized ssd you can purchase and need.

Try to get last gen ssd to beat NAND Endurance and reliability.

If you really want best RAID perf. Get dedicated RAID CARD as on board will have its own limitations on through put and all.

Dont opt for routine PSU. Get modular one.

Yes it has and even my macbook pro has, But i want Windows OS (I know i can install in mac as well, but i don't think it'll perform very well).

What led you to think a MACBOOK Pro will not perform very well on windows ?

What exactly do you do ? Why do you feel the need for 3 monitors without even trying two. Unless you have already made up your mind about it and you "want it" irrespective.

There is nothing special in a multi monitor machine even a i3 with 2gb will do it, just keep adding cards, unless you are running some very specialized graphics. Which brings us back to, what exactly do you do.

In that case. Go ahead with system.
Dont forget few pointers

Get biggest sized ssd you can purchase and need.

Try to get last gen ssd to beat NAND Endurance and reliability.

If you really want best RAID perf. Get dedicated RAID CARD as on board will have its own limitations on through put and all.

Dont opt for routine PSU. Get modular one.

Thanks for the points, Will keep in mind.

- - - Updated - - -

What led you to think a MACBOOK Pro will not perform very well on windows ?

What exactly do you do ? Why do you feel the need for 3 monitors without even trying two. Unless you have already made up your mind about it and you "want it" irrespective.

There is nothing special in a multi monitor machine even a i3 with 2gb will do it, just keep adding cards, unless you are running some very specialized graphics. Which brings us back to, what exactly do you do.

Personally I don't like running 2 operating systems on one machine as i have previous bad experience with it, maybe it was not properly configured but still i don't like it and its my personal choice. So I'd want to keep it separately, Also my macbook pro has flash 256 GB only (Now don't tell me i can increase space or get external, again i don't want to do that..lol).

Also, I do my server management (6-10 dedicated servers, have to ssh into all, monitor, etc. when running different scripts/tools) and also at the same time have to talk over skype, then also code/debug. So 3 monitors will give me good space for these main things, I don't want to minimize windows as these are important and have to stay on top all the time, So one monitor will have all server monitoring tools running, one skype/other normal iming tools and one for code/debug..these 3 tasks i do on daily basis and one monitor is not sufficient for me.

And yes i know even an i3 can support, however since i do multi tasking and my stuffs stay ON 24/7 i don't want things to hang up or start lagging when over used..Hope that clears your questions.

- - - Updated - - -

@iTechSIR, the following is what I recommend --

Intel Core i7 3770 ~18000/-
ASUS P8H77-V ~9500/- OR Intel DH77-KC ~7000/-
Corsair Vengeance OR G.Skill Ares 8GB x2 1600MHz ~5800/- (add more RAM later if required)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~4000/- OR Western Digital Black edition 1TB ~5000/- (you will need to buy two hard-drives if you intend to enable RAID 0 / 1, if you want to enable multiple levels of RAID you might need more physical drives)
Crucial M4 128GB ~8200/- (OR go for a 256GB SSD, use these as the primary OS drive and purchase the drive from onlyssd.com Buy Crucial SSD | Crucial SSD Price | Crucial Solid State Drive Review)
HP / ASUS (boxed) optical drive ~1100/-
AMD HD6670 1GB DDR5 ~5000/-
Corsair TX v2650W ~5800/-
Corsair Carbide 300R ~4500/-
DeLL U2312M ~15500/- (get as many monitors as you want, dependent on budget and space constraints)
MICROSOFT Ergonomic keyboard + mouse ~4500/-
APC BR1100VA-IN ~4600/-

Hope this helps, Cheers!
ALPHA17 do you have any other suggestion for monitors? 23" will not fit in as i said before, so i might have to get 18-21"
Also thanks for the suggestion, that config looks powerful :D

There are a couple of issues with your assumptions.

First is the required horsepower for desktop tasks. It takes no more CPU power to run three monitors than one or two, if you have a decent enough graphics card.

The next is your supposition that three monitors gives you more space than one or two. Whereas in theory this is correct, you have to factor in resolution and pixel pitch as well. For example, three 23" monitors will yield 5760x1080 when placed horizontally. Three 19" units (I assume these are 1440x900) will yield 4320x900, and the aspect ratio changes unfavorably because of the narrow vertical window. Like looking out of a tank.

In general decent monitors start only at the 23-24" range, with models below that assumed to be aimed towards budget users. Which brings me to the next problem, that of viewing angles. Cheap monitors tend to be really bad when viewed anything but straight on. This will be a problem, and get worse as monitors get cheaper and smaller. I would recommend nothing less than the IPS monitors from Dell if you are really serious. And I think the 24" ones can be viewed in portrait mode, which is a whole lot better and solves the narrow view window problem. Three such will yield 3240x1920, which is an excellently usable resolution.

And neck fatigue. In general, multiple monitors work very well for people who need lots of real estate but not all the time, so the peripheral monitors are used to place toolboxes and preview windows, etc, and for stuff that can be dragged back to the central monitor. Not for whole tasks. Here is an experiment. Put a timer on your watch for 5 minutes. Now turn your neck to the left as if you were looking at a monitor, and don't turn back until the timer goes. You will have a sore neck, because it is designed to be held straight most of the time. Can you imagine running a Skype chat off a monitor in that position? Or anything that requires more than a minute or so?

In general a peripheral monitor for tools and infreuently used tasks is a good idea. Unless you are heavily into panorama gaming - for which you need far more capable hardware - a larger single monitor with higher resolution (far more practical), or portrait mode are the ways to go.

Okay, So i went ahead and placed the order with flipkart today.
Bought 2 monitors to see which one would fit in my cabin and both quality, etc. will buy more after seeing the actual product.

Also i ended up buying i7 with the K (Although i don't overclock, but flipkart didn't had the one without K in stock), also the cabinet you suggested @ALPHA17 was also not there, so i took 400R.

Here's the list of the order i placed today:
http://i.imgur.com/l1ziS6c.png

Also for people who might be wondering what I'll do with the extra monitor after i decide what size i have to go with (either 21.5" or 24" monitor), I'll use that monitor for another system, So nothing will go waste for me as anyhow i need more computers :p

Oh and I'm gonna buy SSD tomorrow..which is the best company around for SSD? in terms of product quality, after sales support, etc. anyone?

Thanks all for your suggestions and specially @ALPHA17 for the list of components i needed, Now i need help setting up 3 monitors (After i get 2 more), So any threads related to that info?

This does not have any VESA mounting feature, so kindly check before buying.

And what is that :O

I want to use some mount to join all 3 monitors in one mount (Triple mount?), so I surely want some info and where i can buy online :|

- - - Updated - - -

Also how can i know if the monitor has VESA mounting feature ?

Oh and I'm gonna buy SSD tomorrow..which is the best company around for SSD? in terms of product quality, after sales support, etc. anyone?

So any threads related to that info?

Go for the Crucial M4 256GB SSD from Buy SSD | SSD Price | SSD For Laptop | Buy Solid State Drives in India.

For multi-monitor setup, here is something on topic --

Above is for a dual-monitor set-up and that is the limit of iGP power, you will need a discrete graphic card from AMD to chain together three OR more monitors at a budget.

Hope this helps, Cheers!

Back