Trouble connecting laptop to wireless network

bejay

Disciple
Jul 16, 2006
Hey Guys,

My friend has a desktop connected to internet via wireless router. he bought a laptop with wireless capability and is having trouble to connect it to internet via wireless router and as well connect both computers via wireless networking. Can you plz help us.

I tried my hand at it and this is what happened....

1. The laptop detected the wireless network and i clicked on connect but it asks for key which i don't know, what is this key??

2. I went to the desktop and used wireless networking wizard in control panel, it gave me an option to add another computer to the network, which i did, they it gave me 2 options 1 to use flash drive to copy the configuration or to set it manually, so i used the flash drive, saved the config on the flash drive, plugged it into the lappy which asked me if i wanted to install and add the config and i answered yes, then took out the flash drive and plugged it back into the desktop and then it said that the lappy has been added to the network but yet no internet or LAN access across PCs and the wireless icon keeps showing "Acquiring network"

Appreciate your help

Thanks

Edrill

Adept
Feb 18, 2006
Goa
The key the wireless laptop requires is a security password that's set up on the wireless router. Which router is it? You can get the key from the router via it's web interface that can be accessed on the wired desktop. The IP address of the router is usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 You can find out by going to Start > Run > CMD > ipconfig on the desktop. The IP address you see next to default gateway is the IP address of the router. Put that in the address bar of IE. It will ask you for a username/password. It's usually admin/admin, admin/blank or blank/admin. Differs from vendor to vendor. Once you're in the setup interface, look for a section called wireless and you should find the network key there.

bejay

Disciple
Jul 16, 2006
Thanks bud, problem solved, the passphrase was masked in the router console, had to use an unmasking tool. thx again