Trouble overclocking r5 3600

Tatune

Recruit
Build specs:
Case: meshify C with great airflow
CPU: r5 3600
CPU Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 250W
Mobo: AsRock b450 Pro 4

A couple days ago I got a overclock of 4175@1.325ish to post and loaded up a game I like, played for 5 minutes, and went to sleep. I also let it run in prime 95 a while and was happy with the results. No errors. Next morning, no post, so I let it be at default till today when I had the time to gift it another shot. Here are my tries and results. I think I am missing something. My bios setup is settings fans to the mode I want, and XMP enabled. That is the groundwork I start with every time. Then I go into OC tweaker, set the top overclock mode to manual, and then go to CPU settings and set it to manual and I change the clock speed and core voltage. I leave SOC as manual.
4000@1.1 NO POST
^1.15 NO POST
^1.2 NO POST
^1.25 *POST*
4100@ 1.3 NO POST
^1.325 NO POST
^1.35 NO POST
^1.3675 NO POST
^1.375 NO POST
^1.4 NO POST
4050@1.250 NO POST

In Ryzen Master I am able to set clocks to significantly higher, pass Prime95, run c-bench15 cleanly but setting from bios and I fail. I think I am missing a setting in Bios. First pc I've built, I want to run my r5 to its fullest (safe) potential. I have a beefy cooler on it and know it can go further. What am I setting wrong in bios?

Try removing overclock settings from Ryzen Master and just try overclocking from Bios itself. Try 3.8 first and then increase clockspeeds slowly.

Though Ryzen CPUs are unlocked, can't OC as Intel unlocked CPUs. So don't expect much OC !
And "B" series MBs are also not build for OC, as "X" series are for AMD CPUs.

Though Ryzen CPUs are unlocked, can't OC as Intel unlocked CPUs. So don't expect much OC !
And "B" series MBs are also not build for OC, as "X" series are for AMD CPUs.
o_O

It also depends on the chip

Lower voltages = lower temps = higher clocks

Reset your board to defaults

now try to reach your stock clocks by under volting ,check how much less voltage gives your stable stock clocks under load . once you get that number , try getting the oc ,if it fails too boot or unstable incre the voltage slightly .

Last edited:
Any specific reason for overclocking? I own the same processor along with b450m mortar Mobo and in my experience, the gains after overclocking is very less and not worth the extra power consumption and heat

Any specific reason for overclocking? I own the same processor along with b450m mortar Mobo and in my experience, the gains after overclocking is very less and not worth the extra power consumption and heat
I agree, try and keep it at stock unless there is a specific need.

Back