Android Truecaller alternative?

This is indeed an great app but few phones with their legacy OS (such as MIUI make it difficult to switch)
Why so? Could you please elaborate?
I have been having some issues not receiving OTP ever since I have switched to MIUI and set SMS organiser as the default. I just didn't knew what was going wrong as I didn't get any msg rergarding otp yesterday. Just 10 mins ago I was waiting for a confirmation msg and didn't get it. Finally I restarted and then got it.
Is it because it is under MIUI power optimiser?

I tried it with low-cost Redmi 7A to mid-ranger with MIUI - somehow during switch messaging functionality is affected and interval for receiving these messages also impacted.

Sorry bro there is no such app available right now, but you can check out these alternatives, they have limited data sharing policy than truecaller.

Whoscall
Showcaller
Hiya

There really is no alternative to Truecaller. I tried with the google dialer and that thing does not identify calls at all. It just prompts you to flag any junk calls and blocks the number. I'm sure such a feature is available with any stock dialer.

Anyone has any experience with this -
Looks promising

Protecting the user's privacy is the first concern during development. No personal data is sent to or otherwise shared with anyone. The only known possible data leaks (to the third-party servers) are the following:

• Database update procedure leaks user's IP address to the update servers.
    The request also includes current database version (base or updated)
    and a country code (either auto-detected or set manually).
  • Online review requests leak user's IP address coupled with the phone number in question.
    The request also includes country codes (either auto-detected or set manually).
    Shouldn't be a big deal unless you request it for numbers in your phone book.
    If the "use contacts" feature is enabled, a confirmation dialog is shown if online reviews are requested for a number present in your phone book.

No other identifiable information is sent with the requests.

That's what we lose with truecaller

Some may find the original application (whose DB and servers are used) hard to trust because of its proprietary nature (and also the use of firebase analytics and the like).
But since the database behind that application is crowdsourced, some may find it acceptable (in a moral sense) to use that database in a separate open source application.
Also, this project is meant to be non-commercial. So, there's that.
Wonder which proprietary database they are referring to. Or did they find a way to use the truecaller one.

There really is no alternative to Truecaller. I tried with the google dialer and that thing does not identify calls at all. It just prompts you to flag any junk calls and blocks the number. I'm sure such a feature is available with any stock dialer.
I have not activated TC as default dialer. But it does show a prompt interface when spam calls come in, or identifies a TRUE caller who is not in my phone book. It also is blocking some spam calls but not all. How will the experience be different if I make TC the default dialler?

I am using the paid version--premium.

I think you can go for it as a default dailer. You can forget your privacy, but that is a given once you are on the internet.
I did use it for sometime before reverting back to G-dailer. In TC, when I clicked on the unknown contact, it would straight away call the person instead of showing me the details like call history and such. Maybe I must be habituated as G-dailer showed details instead of calling, when I clicked on a contact.
Again, personal preference, so you can try for sometime and see if you are comfortable with how it works.
I am using the free version so my experience pertains to free version. I don't think it should vary that much with paid version.

Last edited:
I have not activated TC as default dialer. But it does show a prompt interface when spam calls come in, or identifies a TRUE caller who is not in my phone book. It also is blocking some spam calls but not all. How will the experience be different if I make TC the default dialler?

I am using the paid version--premium.
no need, it will work fine how you have it

Don't know what changes as default dialer. Preferred the stock phone dialler

The project has not seen an update in almost a year.
I am aware. I am guessing that the database updates would be up to date. My query was if it works as expected and is an effective replacement. I will eventually try it on my LG G8x but was wondering if anyone else has used it in the meantime.

I am aware. I am guessing that the database updates would be up to date. My query was if it works as expected and is an effective replacement. I will eventually try it on my LG G8x but was wondering if anyone else has used it in the meantime.
Well I don't have a spare device to test so looking forward to your experience.

I tried all non free and free alternatives and none come close to this. Google apps are themselves spam-ware. When i had Google sms, i got lots of spam sms. Phone app is not supported on my phone thankfully. Google probably sells the db too. Every company is in it for the money. (Duh!)
There is a fork of Simple dialer with some Truecaller I'd in it but it worked 2 /10.

been playing around with these since past few days (tried hiya, not useful...to try few more), uninstalled-reinstalled then uninstalled truecaller again. however one thing that i've noticed is that in past couple of days of uninstalling tc, i've been getting no spam/scam calls. previously when i had uninstalled tc sometime back, this was not exactly the case. but in past 3-4 days am seeing this. tc faq explains this as 'perception', but no, i actually havent been getting any unknown no. calls. dont know what has changed suddenly. anyway..

been playing around with these since past few days (tried hiya, not useful...to try few more), uninstalled-reinstalled then uninstalled truecaller again. however one thing that i've noticed is that in past couple of days of uninstalling tc, i've been getting no spam/scam calls. previously when i had uninstalled tc sometime back, this was not exactly the case. but in past 3-4 days am seeing this. tc faq explains this as 'perception', but no, i actually havent been getting any unknown no. calls. dont know what has changed suddenly. anyway..
When you block spammers outright for a long time, they stop calling you. But once they know, you are not blocking them anymore then they start back again at you in full force.

Back