TSMC price hikes might cause price increase across everything

Looks like CPU & GPUs wouldn't be the only things getting expensive in 2022. As TSMC & other foundries have raised prices recently, it looks like the price increase might be significant enough to get passed down to end consumers across pretty much everything which were not impacted in 2021 like laptops, phones, tablets, smartwatches & maybe even cars. This price is increase is not just across the newer nodes, it seems to be an overall price increase.

Honestly, to all those waiting for price cuts on PC parts as well as consoles or any other electronic product might be better off purchasing the things whenever the product price is within their grasp & not waiting for more discounts. You might lose on some additional discount but if the price increases you might not be able to purchase the product at all. The future looks grim as the wait for lower cost parts does not look to be in the cards. I fear that a couple of such years might permanently increase the prices of these components.

Thoughts? Also do share stuff that you guys are waiting for to get a price cut or prices to normalize.

Sources:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/r...o-have-drastic-effect-on-prices-of-everything

Last edited:
I feel like even if the price hike isn't significant it will still be passed on to the buyer, and its not just TSMC, raw material prices have increased substantially. Copper has gone up by 50% in last 8-9 months, I think that will affect the price even more. I was feeling a little bad paying 49K for 3060ti but now I think it was a good deal.
I'm glad I have a decent enough PC and I don't need anything essential because I don't think prices will be coming down anytime soon.

As for what I'm waiting for, I just want a good tablet under 30k. Waiting for the Mi Pad 5, if it doesn't launch soon I might just buy the Realme Pad during Big Billion Sale.

I feel like even if the price hike isn't significant it will still be passed on to the buyer, and its not just TSMC, raw material prices have increased substantially. Copper has gone up by 50% in last 8-9 months, I think that will affect the price even more. I was feeling a little bad paying 49K for 3060ti but now I think it was a good deal.
I'm glad I have a decent enough PC and I don't need anything essential because I don't think prices will be coming down anytime soon.
I totally echo your thoughts. For every 15% increase in input prices, manufactures will pass on at least 30% hike to the end users. In India we folks will be royally screwed as always.

As for what I'm waiting for, I just want a good tablet under 30k. Waiting for the Mi Pad 5, if it doesn't launch soon I might just buy the Realme Pad during Big Billion Sale.
So am I, will get an iPad under 30k if I get good deal. Better to buy it sooner rather than later honestly.

Back