PC Peripherals TV tuner Recommendations

sg3707

Adept
Hi all,

Last week when I went to golcha there were plethora of TV Tuners available. I couldn't decide on which one to buy. He was suggesting something around 5K. I dont want to get Ripped off. Also there were some HP TV Tuners present there for around 2K. I know my requirement but don't know anything about TV tuners so please suggest accordingly.

- PCI or PCI Express (Anything is fine, But preferably PCI)

- Internal or External (Anything is fine)

- Should have features like PIP, Real time recording

- Currently for local cable, will upgrade to Tata Sky pretty soon. So Should work on both.

- Monitor - ST2410, Used with Win 7 64 bit.

- Need remote also. It is not mandatory as I have a wireless keyboard.

- Any more additional features are welcome with in the budget.

First priority goes to picture clarity. If possible choose from below link. Else if there are better TV tuners I can buy them in bangalore.

Theitdepot - TV Tuner Cards

Second priority is for VFM. Budget 1.5K - MAX 3K.

Once you upgrade to DTH you will not be able to tune using tv tuner card but will have to manually do so with remote of tata sky.

Sorry bro have no idea for TV tuner cards but if you want to use DTH with PC then you will need something called IR blaster which mimics the DTH remote control.

This is what i have been suggesting everone now ;)

The Hauppage PVR-150.

Ya ya i know its quite old and doesn't work well with 64bit OS, however i you watch a lot of TV, u might wanna shift to 32bit just for this baby.

Its a very capable card with hardware encoding. So everything happens on the card and no utilisation o ur proccy. Add to it, it has a Media Center Remote which is very handy and cool.

It works by default with the Windows Media Center which is so good in Windows 7.

Then there is the IR blaster which can be used with any set top boxes to use the Media Center remote for changing channels and throwaway the DTH crap remote. Here you can control everything from music to movies with a single remote.

Now enuf blabbering, what more do u want dude??? :p

It may be nice. After seeing reviews here the first thing I asked was 150 PVR, but it is not available and doesn't support 64 bit OS. May be u could suggest some other updated model on the same lines.

Dude avoid PVR 150 at any cost for tht price u can get a Leadtek winfast 2000XP global.....an awesome TV tuner with PIP etc

PVR 150 sucks big time....
1.Crappy drivers worse than techcom, iball
2.Wont work in 4GB ram which will be defacto in coming months
3.Annoying software

In comparison Leadtek has the best PVR works with 4GB ram. If u want something Real good go for DUal TV tuners from ATI, Leadek

There are two models expert and global with Expert being 700 Rs costly. I couldnt find any difference between the two.

Are these TV tuners compatible with Windows Media Center.

Still any more. plz do recommend.

sg3707 said:
- Should have features like PIP, Real time recording
Has anyone managed to get PIP to work ?

I wondered how to do this for just viewing. There are TV sets that claim to have it but has anyone got it working with the usual DTH providers or cable walla here ?

Gowt1ham said:
Dude avoid PVR 150 at any cost for tht price u can get a Leadtek winfast 2000XP global.....an awesome TV tuner with PIP etc

PVR 150 sucks big time....

1.Crappy drivers worse than techcom, iball

2.Wont work in 4GB ram which will be defacto in coming months

3.Annoying software

In comparison Leadtek has the best PVR works with 4GB ram. If u want something Real good go for DUal TV tuners from ATI, Leadek

Is this ur assumption or your personal experience? :bleh:

First u are comparing a software encoding card with a hardware encoding one.

Second, u don't need a software with Hauppage, it is detected directly by Windows Media Center which has developed very well in Windows 7.

Third, u get a very good Media Center Remote with Hauppage and with the leadtek u get a generic remote.

Fourth, the Hauppage gives you live pause and recording from Windows Media Center directly in a single interface rather than Leadtek which has only TV in the application.

Fifth, u get the IR blaster with PVR-150 to control set top boxes wich u don't on the Leadtek. So, basically u can't connect tatasky/Dish or anything to Leadtek and control it with one remote.

IS that already enuf or u would like some more comparisions :rofl:

The only gripe with Hauppage is the driver for this is not 64 bit and that is the only only issue with the card. So, if you want to install 64bit definitely, get a Avermedia card which are also good and cheap. :)

Just to let u know PIP in Leadtek works for recorded video and not live in both :)

blr_p said:
Has anyone managed to get PIP to work ?

I wondered how to do this for just viewing. There are TV sets that claim to have it but has anyone got it working with the usual DTH providers or cable walla here ?

With local cable i have been watching PIP in LG Lcd Tv. There is no gimmick in that. It is as easy as changing channels.

Noe regarding my query is this card OK. Wat is the diff between PVR 150 and this HVR-1100.

eBay India: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1100 Internal with Warranty (item 150407376917 end time 24-Jan-2010 13:27:26 IST).

or this card

http://www.theitdepot.com/details-AVerTV-Super-009-Internal-TV-Tuner-Card-(M733)_C53P6778.html

or this card

http://www.theitdepot.com/details-Leadtek-WinFast-Hybrid-TV-Tuner-(DTV1800-H)_C53P5429.html

or This

http://www.theitdepot.com/details-Leadtek-WinFast-TV2000XP-Global_C53P5437.html

clown_abhi said:
Is this ur assumption or your personal experience? :bleh:

First u are comparing a software encoding card with a hardware encoding one.
Second, u don't need a software with Hauppage, it is detected directly by Windows Media Center which has developed very well in Windows 7.
Third, u get a very good Media Center Remote with Hauppage and with the leadtek u get a generic remote.
Fourth, the Hauppage gives you live pause and recording from Windows Media Center directly in a single interface rather than Leadtek which has only TV in the application.
Fifth, u get the IR blaster with PVR-150 to control set top boxes wich u don't on the Leadtek. So, basically u can't connect tatasky/Dish or anything to Leadtek and control it with one remote.

IS that already enuf or u would like some more comparisions :rofl:

The only gripe with Hauppage is the driver for this is not 64 bit and that is the only only issue with the card. So, if you want to install 64bit definitely, get a Avermedia card which are also good and cheap. :)

Just to let u know PIP in Leadtek works for recorded video and not live in both :)

Have a look @ my signature bfr commenting.:rofl:
And u are comparing PVR 150 and windows MCe with leadtek TV tuner and their PVR. Win 2000Xp global too gets recognized by MCE in case U dont knw..
U seem to have missed I was pointing out how terrible Hauppauge PVR is.
And not All have Windows MCE, which is not free.

And can u point me 1 Retail Hauppauge PVR 150???

Gowt1ham said:
Have a look @ my signature bfr commenting.:rofl:
And u are comparing PVR 150 and windows MCe with leadtek TV tuner and their PVR. Win 2000Xp global too gets recognized by MCE in case U dont knw..
U seem to have missed I was pointing out how terrible Hauppauge PVR is.
And not All have Windows MCE, which is not free.

And can u point me 1 Retail Hauppauge PVR 150???

Ok, agree... My suggestion stands for those who have a Windows OS with Media Center...:bleh:

And there is no retail outlet for Hauppage and that's the reason why u don't get Hauppage cards in India. Since HP is using Hauppage Tuner cards, hence we get it as OEM. :cool2:

Leadtek won't be recognised by Media Center bcoz its not hardware enabled. There are ways to get it working but i am talking about u pop in the card and phew it works. For the wayarounds, u have to install software encoders which will act to detect the card and then for passing the media center setup u will need to put in virtual device drivers for IR. Doesn't this sound cumbersome? To avoid this, u get a Hauppage and pop it in and phew it works just fine. And the good part is at the same price...

Correct me if i am wrong in saying that Leadtek 2000Xp global is not a hardware encoding card. Coz this is what i read and if you can show me a place where it says its hardware encoding enabled, i would be happy to correct myself.

If not, Well if anyone has a doubt, sorry i am out :)

clown_abhi said:
Ok, agree... My suggestion stands for those who have a Windows OS with Media Center...:bleh:

And there is no retail outlet for Hauppage and that's the reason why u don't get Hauppage cards in India. Since HP is using Hauppage Tuner cards, hence we get it as OEM. :cool2:

Leadtek won't be recognised by Media Center bcoz its not hardware enabled. There are ways to get it working but i am talking about u pop in the card and phew it works. For the wayarounds, u have to install software encoders which will act to detect the card and then for passing the media center setup u will need to put in virtual device drivers for IR. Doesn't this sound cumbersome? To avoid this, u get a Hauppage and pop it in and phew it works just fine. And the good part is at the same price...

Correct me if i am wrong in saying that Leadtek 2000Xp global is not a hardware encoding card. Coz this is what i read and if you can show me a place where it says its hardware encoding enabled, i would be happy to correct myself.

If not, Well if anyone has a doubt, sorry i am out :)

of course it is not hardware encoding card. leadtek rarely has one.
check out Avermedia cards
AVerMedia AVerTV Global - AVerTV TV Tuners and Multimedia Products
well, to be specific, the Super 009 (PCI), Speedy PCIe are good choices and all supports Win7 and Media centre.

People Instead of fighting can you pleasegive me some good suggestions. I have given the links of few sound cards. Can you choose the best one out of them. Plz.

Back