Car & Bike TVS apache RTR160 or yamaha FZ-S

i'm planning to buy a new bike for daily commute [20kms]. max budget is 80k

i have 2 bikes in mind.

yamaha FZ-S and TVS apache RTR160 hyper edge.

i have few doubts with new TVS apache series

1. Is the vibration issue solved with new apache?

2. did they discontinued RTR 160 efi model ? [fuel injected]

3. can i remove rear mudflap in 2012 FZ series?

my requirements are: smooth and vibe free ride, should suit me [i'm 5feet 6 inch tall], easy to ride in city start stop traffic

1. Vibes are there in RTR, reduced but they are there
2. 160 EFI is available on order. one of the best under 80k. I've ridden it extensively. my friend has it.
3. don't know

Fz is more of a poser bike. fake big tank, fake exhaust, unnecessarily fat tires for the power of the bike, low FE, small pillion seat, useless tachometer etc
RTR is purpose built. Awesome handling, crisp power delivery, higher FE than FZ. awesome city commuter ( ie traffic cutter) spares are cheaper too.

my vote goes for RTR too.. Though i havent driven the 160 variant (I got RTR 180 ABS), it is a better rider than the FZ. Ofcourse the posture is aggressive on RTR than on FZ (more relaxed just like pulsars)

I dont find the vibes to be any relevant once you ride it for sometime. I was very much reluctant to own the RTR for the same reason but am really happy and the vibes doesnt bother me at all (you can call it "used-to-it-now"). But yeah they arent such big vibes anymore unlike the early years RTR.

I am using FZ-S from the past 3.5 years along with my friend who is on an apache 160... I would suggest get a FZ.. All those speeds and everything will look good at first but in the long term you will understand FZ is every bit value for money..

I also thought the FZ was a poser bike but after riding it I figured out that it is a really practical bike as the grip is class leading (I have never had even a near skid with this bike and there were plenty of near skids and skids with my older CBZ and Karizma) and the engine performance is really smooth. You won't win any races but its got enough power to satisfy a few sprints here and there. Cornering is also really sweet on this bike. :)

I can't comment on the RTR since it was too small for me and I couldn't ride it properly. However for your height it should be fine. Suggest you try to arrange for a test ride of both bikes.

I am 5 feet 10 inch approx , found the fz/fazer much better from the comfortability wise . Cant really comment performance wise as my friend has not maintained his Apache RTR very well .
Totally agree with brendon with the near skids part ,.

Dont remove the rear mudflap. the mud gets to your clothes :)
For your height, the low seat of the FZ will be nice. And the torque/gearing is suited to city driving. Ride is a bit harsh thats all. Low vibes and very quick till 80k, slow to accelerate beyond that.
I have 1, for over 3 years now.

you won't have any height probs with RTR.....
i am almost 6 '1 but one of my friends who was 5' 5(guess) used to ride my bike sometimes and he never faced any problem...

how is this apache rtr 160
tvs-apache-160-photo-6_560x420.jpg

i'm 5'10"
i ride zma and R15 every alternate day.

TVS 160/180
apart from redesigned headlight, it's a gem of a bike. I've ridden it extensively.
low maintenance, awesome performance. Best brakes below 1Lac, dual disk.
The vibes do reduce after clocking few thousand KMs.
the spares are cheap too.
best headlight below 1lac. I personally rate it better than P220 projectors

Bajaj 180 is also a strong contender.

1. Vibes are there in RTR, reduced but they are there
2. 160 EFI is available on order. one of the best under 80k. I've ridden it extensively. my friend has it.
3. don't know

Fz is more of a poser bike. fake big tank, fake exhaust, unnecessarily fat tires for the power of the bike, low FE, small pillion seat, useless tachometer etc
RTR is purpose built. Awesome handling, crisp power delivery, higher FE than FZ. awesome city commuter ( ie traffic cutter) spares are cheaper too.

Now pillow seat is bigger...

i am 6 feet height and i am planning to buy new model of tvs Apache rtr 160 double disc or cbz extreme,what do u think is the best bike for me
my requirements are - 50KML , easy to ride in traffic..
and when i searched for new models of tvs which are going to be released i saw a bike named tvs velocy does any one know the correct or expected date of the release of that bike.

rtr160, cbz x etc will surely give you 50kmpl or close to that.
actually FE largely depends on how you ride/ drive your vehicle.
I can extract 50KMPL from my karizma (carb), which is "famous' for low FE. but driving like that is an insult to her ;)

any way, for your query
RTR is the best 150cc bike below 1lac, except second hand R15. but both are built for guys shorter than 5'7"
(came back from 500+km ride yesterday, we had R15 and rtr160)
I'm 5'10" my neck and lowerback hurts, while i'm all ok with zma.

RTR will be a bit small for you. CBZ should be good. try unicorn/dazzler as well. cbz and these two are very similar.
if you can relax the FE figure by 4-5 kmpl, them Pulsar 180 is an excellent alternative.
highly recommended. bajaj has improved a lot in past 2-3 years. not there with honda yet. but almost with TVS.

I would personally go for P180 than mundane unicorn/cbz/dazzler. all these honda 150cc clones lack character (performance, feel and feedback wise).

but just don't decide on forum discussions. Test ride both the bikes. borrow them from your friends for few days.

If you are in Mumbai, we can meet and you can try my bikes. :)

Back