Linux Ubuntu 11.04 Officially Released

I tried to upgrade it several times yesterday but it wouldn't even start. I guess their servers are choked. It just said "Couldn't download upgrade blah blah blah, check your internet connection". Will give it another try soon. I do have several programs installed since I do all my work on this only.

yay.. I wil definitely try out this. The new one seems to be having some good features, I am just waiting for my 1 TB HD, as current one is out of space. By the way guys, any of you using 64 bit version ? Any issues with that ?

saqib_khan said:
yay.. I wil definitely try out this. The new one seems to be having some good features, I am just waiting for my 1 TB HD, as current one is out of space. By the way guys, any of you using 64 bit version ? Any issues with that ?
Its too early to call for anything.

+LT

I just got my self upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04

Initial Impression: I'm not impressed. Things were much better off in Ubuntu 10.04 than in 11.04.

Only some eye candy stuff as of right now can i comment on. They have added a Launch pad by default which has your commonly listed programs. Some of the programs dont even still work, eg.qBittorrent. Another irksome factor with Mozilla Firefox is that you cannot view newly opened windows so easily like previously when it used to be listed on the taskbar. Here the procedure has entirely changed. You have to again press ALT + TAB to switch windows, else click the Mozilla Firefox icon again on the Launch Pad so that it show the various windows as a tab group and the various windows gets listed and choose accordingly.

For a beginner if your planning to move onto the Linux Platform please get yourself Ubuntu 10.04, or try other flavours.

These are only my initial sighting, I aint a pro to comment on the distro. So await guruji's words...

I am still skeptical about Unity :p
the livecd run didn't impress me :(
I liked 10.10 but same cant be said for this one.
Though I eventually installed it. I kinda felt that suddenly everything is slow-y slow-y ! :(

Okies guys, finally upgraded to Natty...!! It looks good..!! :) I'm impressed, it's time to play with Unity No way I'm going back to GNOME again :)

BTW did I mentioned that the whole upgrade took approx. 7.5 hours on my 512 kbps connection??

Upgrade was smooth, I'm impressed that this time it didn't broke anything.

baccilus said:
I installed Lubuntu after trying Unity for a day. It's impossible to use on a Netbook.

Ironically, Unity was designed specifically for the netbooks...

Also, the battery life is terrible with 11.04. Something odd going on...

sagar_coolx said:
uh i dunno why...but im quite reluctatnt to try this one...
maybe its the unity interface...or maybe its the extra power consuption compared to the previous ones...
this one just dosent come across as exciting
Sub said:
Ironically, Unity was designed specifically for the netbooks...

Also, the battery life is terrible with 11.04. Something odd going on...
archish said:
The power consumption is kernel specific and applicable for all distros...there is pretty extensive article on power consumption across various kernels in phoronix...you will find higher power consumption starting 2.6.35 kernel. 10.04 with 2.6.32 is the safe bet if you are a laptop user. On my laptop with maverick kernel the battery usage is down by 20 minutes and on 2.6.38 down by additional 10 mins. Plus the heat is much less on the older kernel.....better to stick to lower kernel <2.6.35 if you are a laptop user :p

10 chars......

^^Why not recompile the kernel with custom patches. Remove all the bloat ware, for me 2.6.39 works great, no glitches even it is still in testing phase.

I am giving this Unity a pass, will probably end up with Gnome 3 and Arch (custom kernel) when I get my hands on Dm1z :D on desktop front the interface not worth 1080p :(

^^ its not ubuntu specific issue...the issue is there with plain vanilla kernel also...there is no other problem as such apart from higher power consumption..

Xw7IHl.jpg

My Bootloader :D .

deathgoddg said:
Xw7IHl.jpg

My Bootloader :D .

BURG :) Nice.
archish said:
^^ its not ubuntu specific issue...the issue is there with plain vanilla kernel also...there is no other problem as such apart from higher power consumption..
Its the issue with .38 series of kernel which ubuntu natty uses.

hmm..I'm having a lot of trouble getting burg to work.:(The monitor says input rate is not supported.There is no option to choose the exact refresh rate in /etc/default/burg.Any solutions.?In my many attempts to make it work I managed to fix my ubuntu load screen resolution by accident.:)But BURG is still not showing.Can anyone help.?

EDIT:Figured it out...For some reason my Bios does not support my monitors native resolution.BURG looks awesome:D

Back