Linux Ubuntu 24.04.1 LTS upgrade

khamosh

Patron
Looking forward to a fresh install rather than upgrading, or should I just upgrade?

What are you planning to do, be at current version or will upgrade?

If Yes/No, then why? Give pros and cons.

For now not touching as i use it for work and don't have time.
But will take backup and upgrade. Last time i upgraded without issue from the previous LTS release once 22.04.01 was released.

Plan is to first update all packages in 22.04 + use latest hwe kernel + latest available nvidia driver and then upgrade. Will take backup of os via timeshift.
Also read instructions for upgrade.

Backup your data, update / upgrade apps drivers & kernel.
Install release upgrader core and then a simple release upgrade should sort the rest out, unless you really want to do a clean install.

Plan is to first update all packages in 22.04 + use latest hwe kernel + latest available nvidia driver and then upgrade. Will take backup of os via timeshift.
Also read instructions for upgrade.
Noted ✅
Backup your data, update / upgrade apps drivers & kernel.
Install release upgrader core and then a simple release upgrade should sort the rest out, unless you really want to do a clean install.
I think I'll go with upgrade, fresh install will have me do the setup/configure again

there should be a script called do-release-upgrade or something like that. just execute it and it will upgrade everything.

This is a great website (Ubuntu Handbook) see https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2024/08/upgrade-to-ubuntu-2404-1/

But I always prefer fresh install every time because I run LTS based distros so it's only every couple of years effort for a couple of hours. Also, I don't trust upgrade process, there's always bound to be bugs (sometimes subtle) less so with a clean install.
Had no issue with 20.04 to 22.04.1 on both desktop and laptop. Runs perfectly well since.

I would say fresh install is the way to go for personal laptop or workstations. There is another way to upgrade your OS without fresh install or apt upgrade and that is to replace entire file system but that is mostly exclusively used in data centers for very very specific use cases.

Although in most cases apt upgrade would be fine but I have seen cases where apt upgrade corrupted boot drive or even entire file system. Cases of boot drive corruption comes when you play with boot configurations and system task schedulers but file system corruption can be because of multitude of reasons though they are very very rare.

My full proof way to go is using custom OS image built using packer. My current machine is running ubuntu 22 which I built with canonical ubuntu 22 generic image as base and then applying my configuration on top of it. When I upgrade to any new version I first build a custom OS image with my configuration and validate them. Though this comes with an overhead of keeping track of your configs in git or someplace else. Advantage is that you never miss any configs in newer deployment.

Back