Linux Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Tribe 1

Dark Star

ex-Mod
Ubuntu is a Debian based linux distribution.Welcome to Gutsy Gibbon a.k.a Ubuntu 7.10.Ubuntu is a community developed, linux-based operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. It contains all the applications you need - a web browser, presentation, document and spreadsheet software, instant messaging and much more.

The Ubuntu Promise

• Ubuntu will always be free of charge, including enterprise releases and security updates.
  • Ubuntu comes with full commercial support from Canonical and hundreds of companies around the world.
  • Ubuntu includes the very best translations and accessibility infrastructure that the free software community has to offer.
  • Ubuntu CDs contain only free software applications; we encourage you to use free and open source software, improve it and pass it on.

Download MIrrors:-

Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Tribe 1 Desktop i386 (ISO) (695 MB)
Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Tribe 1 Desktop amd64 (ISO) (699 MB)
Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Tribe 1 Alternate i386 (ISO) (691 MB)
Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Tribe 1 Alternate amd64 (ISO) (694 MB)
Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Tribe 1 Server i386 (ISO) (489 MB)
Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Tribe 1 Server amd64 (ISO) (483 MB) -

SOurce: Download Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Tribe 1 for Linux - Ubuntu is a Debian based linux distribution. - Softpedia

Edubuntu is a version of the Ubuntu operating system suitable for classroom use. As an educator you'll be able to set up a computer lab, or establish an online learning environment, in an hour or less -- then administer that environment without having to become a fully-fledged Linux geek.

Edubuntu is currently under development by the same development team that produces the wildly popular Ubuntu system. Edubuntu a customized version of Ubuntu.

Principal design goals of Edubuntu are centralized management of configuration, users, and processes, together with facilities for working collaboratively in a classroom setting. Equally important is the gathering together of the best available free software and digital materials for education.

What's New in This Release:

· The Ubuntu developers are moving very quickly to bring you the absolute latest and greatest software the Open Source Community has to offer. The Gutsy Gibbon Tribe 1 is the first alpha release of Ubuntu 7.10, and with this new alpha release comes a whole host of excellent new features. The feature list for 7.10 has been slowly growing more exact since Gutsy opened late last month. While looking forward nothing is completely certain, here are some of the new things that have already arrived, such as GNOME 2.19, a new 2.6.22-rc kernel, as well as a good look at the approved specifications for Gutsy.

DOWNLOAD LOCATIONS FOR EDUBUNTU GUTSY GIBBON

Edubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Tribe 1 Desktop i386 (ISO) (690 MB)
Edubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Tribe 1 Desktop amd64 (ISO) (686 MB)
Edubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Tribe 1 Alternate i386 (ISO) (692 MB)
Edubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Tribe 1 Alternate amd64 (ISO) (674 MB)

Xubuntu community project's aim is to provide a nice Ubuntu desktop experience (even on older hardware) by using Xfce4 as the desktop environment and GTK+ 2 applications wherever possible.

Xfce4 has been supported in Ubuntu's universe by the MOTUXfce team since Hoary and Breezy. For Dapper we want to go one step further and make Xubuntu a sibling of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Edubuntu by having install and live CD images generated for it.

As Ubuntu has a delay of six weeks with a new release date of the first of June, Xubuntu should be released at the same time and should use the latest stable Xfce 4.X code (hopefully 4.4 will be released by then).

· The Ubuntu developers are moving very quickly to bring you the absolute latest and greatest software the Open Source Community has to offer. The Gutsy Gibbon Tribe 1 is the first alpha release of Ubuntu 7.10, and with this new alpha release comes a whole host of excellent new features. The feature list for 7.10 has been slowly growing more exact since Gutsy opened late last month. While looking forward nothing is completely certain, here are some of the new things that have already arrived, such as GNOME 2.19, a new 2.6.22-rc kernel, as well as a good look at the approved specifications for Gutsy.

DOWNLOAD LOCATIONS FOR XUBUNTU GUTSY GIBBON

Xubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Tribe 1 Desktop i386 (ISO) (556 MB)

Xubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Tribe 1 Desktop amd64 (ISO) (563 MB)
Xubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Tribe 1 Alternate i386 (ISO) (682 MB)
Xubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Tribe 1 Alternate amd64 (ISO) (635 MB

Kubuntu is an Ubuntu-derived distribution with the K Desktop Environment (KDE). The Kubuntu CDs are made up of Ubuntu's base plus KDE. You can get exactly the same effect by installing Ubuntu and adding the KDE packages from the Ubuntu archives.

Kubuntu is the result of several months effort to get KDE 3.4 into Ubuntu's main repository and create the first major derived Ubuntu distribution. Kubuntu is not a fork of Ubuntu but an official project of it, sharing the same package archive and infrastructure. It is possible to convert an Ubuntu system to Kubuntu or vice versa.

Mirrors

Kubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Desktop i386 (ISO) (661 MB)
Kubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Desktop amd64 (ISO) (669 MB)
Kubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Alternate i386 (ISO) (646 MB)
Kubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Alternate amd64 (ISO) (669 MB)

nukeu666 said:
you should have made 1 thread for ubuntus

this is = spamming

Oh really if this is spamming :mad: then mods can delete ban me :eek:hyeah: btw all are OS if you don't know and is you did not use them it doesn't mean that nobody use them .:bleh: And these are not Ubuntu all are diff, :eek:hyeah: :bleh: Like Kubuntu sports Kde desktop. Edubuntu for Education. mainly for student and all :p And every different OS whether its from same Org deserve its own thread :D...Hope u get it :rofl:

Edit: Mods plz merge all buntus thread in 1 with title Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Tribe 1 - Free. Thanks

Regards

Damn, i'm so happy with my Suse 10.1 tht i just dont feel like tryin any other distro...:p But, still dnloading n keeping it for my collection...:D

Dark Star said:
<snipped >

As Ubuntu has a delay of six weeks with a new release date of the first of June, Xubuntu should be released at the same time and should use the latest stable Xfce 4.X code (hopefully 4.4 will be released by then).

I hate to correct you but still just for you info. Xfce 4.4.1 was released on 2007-04-10

Source :- Xfce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dark Star said:

While the new kernel is welcome, Xubuntu works on GTK+ python bindings rather than GNOME :)

er N00b question :ashamed: isn't the ISO (v7.10) i'm downloading (from the links given) a LIVE CD ?...the only other time i installed linux was with VMware , performance was weird....so i want no virtualisation this time....

shrey,

First of all wouldn't recommend that you install 7.10 atm as it would be a broken system. Its good to try if you can live with broken systems, can file bugs as & when things break & generally are patient. If you need a stable system then it would be better to hang on 7.04

A better bet would be downloading the alternate CD & then installing it. I have given the howto for the same at http://www.techenclave.com/forums/installing-ubuntu-feisty-7-04-through-89192.html

if you want to go ahead. Ubiquity is good, but the alternate installer is way way cooler esp. if you are going to do alpha, beta quality software installation. Atleast you can be pretty sure that the install would give verbose error messages in case some software doesn't install or something like that. If I had a spare machine would definitely had tried that.

Just did the upgrade :) & things looks cool if people get any issue either we can have a seperate corner here itself or in ubuntuforums whichever is cool :p

@shirish

Thanks , then i guess i'll stick to 7.04 , but then i'm not exactly a power user when it comes to linux, so i'll just get the LIVE cd from my friend....:)

Will be back if doubts persist ....

good you got the hint :p the point was there were issues while installing but as I have done it quite a few times knew what steps to take which resulted in getting things to work :)

bah the ubuntu LIVE cd is on tour ...darned fella ran away when i wanted his cd :p Another friend of mine just installed fedora 7 and it looks pretty impressive. performance was pretty good for a 256mb RAM system so i guess i'm going to try out fedora 7 now.BUT,problem is he has the 32 bit installer, and i have a 64 bit system, i noticed fedora doesn't seem to distinguish AMD and intel,(is that right? i'm still kind of doubtful :ashamed:) so can i use the 32 bit installer? I'm going for a dual boot setup so should there be anything i should watch out for ? heard the fedora installer isn't as simple as ubuntu.

shrey said:
bah the ubuntu LIVE cd is on tour ...darned fella ran away when i wanted his cd :p Another friend of mine just installed fedora 7 and it looks pretty impressive. performance was pretty good for a 256mb RAM system so i guess i'm going to try out fedora 7 now.BUT,problem is he has the 32 bit installer, and i have a 64 bit system, i noticed fedora doesn't seem to distinguish AMD and intel,(is that right? i'm still kind of doubtful :ashamed:) so can i use the 32 bit installer? I'm going for a dual boot setup so should there be anything i should watch out for ? heard the fedora installer isn't as simple as ubuntu.

Hello,

You can read it here about the 64bit support.
The Unofficial Fedora FAQ

Regards.

shrey said:

sad to hear that. I dunno about fedora 64 bit or the intel AMD stuff but as far as installation is concerned, its ok, I did install fc4 which was way back . The only installers which have stumped me are gentoo, slackware & debian sarge. All the 3 require you to know much more than the average joe, I do know now that I can install them but need to have machines where I can play with them & time but this is not your concern :p Enjoy whatever you can play with :)

Back