Camera ultrazoom camera : Canon, sony or Panasonic?

Then, the latest Canon 1000D (+ 18-55 lens), with more features is also available for less than 30 K with bill and 2 year warranty. D80 for 22K will probably be gray.

@AK3D: I'm not getting quotes for the D80 less than 35K, but I guess I'll look around a bit.

@Janitha: The 1000D is a little more than the D60 with essentially the same lens, so it's a toss-up between the two. I'm not even sure DSLR is the way to go for me, I wouldn't be using it more than a couple of times a month. And I have no issues with 'grey'. Till Canon entered India 5 years ago, the photographers I work with were using 'grey' products (including extremely expensive Hasselblads, and Nikons) due to no other choice, and they were doing quite well. The problem is at the lower end of the price bracket - professional cameras are built to last.

My question was more about whether the relatively small difference between a superzoom and a basic DSLR influences the decision to go one way or the other, and which makes more sense. I see the answer is relative, much like anything else.

Isn't JJ offering only official prices? I haven't called in or visited yet.

Is 29K for the body only or is there a kit lens on offer?

sangram said:
@AK3D: I'm not getting quotes for the D80 less than 35K, but I guess I'll look around a bit.

@Janitha: The 1000D is a little more than the D60 with essentially the same lens, so it's a toss-up between the two. I'm not even sure DSLR is the way to go for me, I wouldn't be using it more than a couple of times a month. And I have no issues with 'grey'. Till Canon entered India 5 years ago, the photographers I work with were using 'grey' products (including extremely expensive Hasselblads, and Nikons) due to no other choice, and they were doing quite well. The problem is at the lower end of the price bracket - professional cameras are built to last.

My question was more about whether the relatively small difference between a superzoom and a basic DSLR influences the decision to go one way or the other, and which makes more sense. I see the answer is relative, much like anything else.

All my earlier cameras were gray only. Canon QL 25 compact, one Mamiya ?? Quartz model SLR, Canon AE1-Programme, Canon A1 and present EOS 630 with 50mm 1.8, 70-210 f4 and 400mm tele, the last ones bought around 1993. Even when I bought a Nikon Coopix 5700 six years back, only gray was available. But my next purchase (probably 450D) will be with bill only.

About the choice, I think you should opt for SLR only if you are serious about photography, want professional results and large enlargements.

My problem is my monitor, actually. I am hating the IQ from compacts.

The D40 is just 6MP, but I love the IQ and results I'm seeing around the web with it. The image clarity is stunning, in spite of the lower resolution, and the few links that I see are scattered with pretty amazing results.

There will be a steep learning curve, but hopefully I'll manage decently. I'm now also looking at the Fuji 100Fs, so let's see.

sangram said:
My problem is my monitor, actually. I am hating the IQ from compacts.

The D40 is just 6MP, but I love the IQ and results I'm seeing around the web with it. The image clarity is stunning, in spite of the lower resolution, and the few links that I see are scattered with pretty amazing results.

There will be a steep learning curve, but hopefully I'll manage decently. I'm now also looking at the Fuji 100Fs, so let's see.

If I am not wrong, the sensor size of 23.7 x 15.6mm compared to usual 1/2.5" of compacts, better processing and better optics are the main reasons.

Possibly.

Anyway I bit the bullet today. Got myself a D40 from a boxed kit, plus the kit lens from the D60. Battery is charging, will get a chance to evaluate later.

Bought from grey mkt, paid 22 for it including a 2GB card, screen protector, bag and UV filter. It was 19 with the kit lens, but I decided to step up to a VR lens for a bit of future proofing.

I got it from Gola Lane - some guy called Lalit photo. Decent guys. I'm still struggling with figuring out the camera and fluorescent light isn't helping, but we'll do some tests tomorrow.

Edit: The lens is 18-55VR. I pray it's not a reconditioned lens, which is a problem when you buy from grey mkt. The body looks and feels new, but I'm having some problems getting the VR to work properly.

Congratulations Sangram, please read the manual/practice with the camera before doing some full fledged shooting. That should help you cope with most situations easily.

Regarding the fluorescent lighting, change the Whitebalance in the camera options and it should give a different tone.

sangram said:
I got it from Gola Lane - some guy called Lalit photo. Decent guys. I'm still struggling with figuring out the camera and fluorescent light isn't helping, but we'll do some tests tomorrow.

Edit: The lens is 18-55VR. I pray it's not a reconditioned lens, which is a problem when you buy from grey mkt. The body looks and feels new, but I'm having some problems getting the VR to work properly.

Good stuff. Post some photos in Eyecandy when you're satisfied with the results.

It's the lane that runs from VT to fountain. The photography grey market. Till the biggies came to the country, the only such market in the country which is now rebadged as the grey market. You will have to take the first left after crossing VT. Travel by public transport is advised, there's no parking in the area unless you go on a Sunday. The lane joins the main road also, so if you get off at VT you'll see the lane at the McDonald's crossing (it's diagonally opposite McD).

Back