OC & Modding Unable to OC i7 930 past 3.3 Ghz!!!

kiran1103

Disciple
Just had this amazing chip for a day and noticed am not able to overclock it beyond 3.3 Ghz on Rampage II Gene :(

Idle temps are 42-44 C. Leaod goes upto 85.

Is this normal?

P.S. I am using just one 2 GB stick of OCZ Reaper 1600 Mhz. Actualy borrowed from my friend who is having 2 X 2 GB.

Sounds like you have inadequate cooling or just a bad chip. Both the load and idle temps should be way lower at 3.3 Ghz. I hope you did not leave the vcore on auto or over-volt the processor?

What cooling? I couldn't OC a 920 even 1% on stock without it reaching sky high temps. Don't ever try OCcing an i7 on stock cooling. Edit: And don't keep turbo on if you still wanna do it. I got scared with the temps especially as the chip was not mine.

^^

That guide posted by kekerode is good. Read that, and follow it. If you still have problems, let us know.

Hello.. :)
Your temps are quite high.. what are your ambient temps ?
a remount of the true might be in order.. and if it has been lapped then i hope you have pressure modded it too.
Also are you using the true with 2 fans ? and in what cabinet is this in ?
Anyways
Try these settings below..

Set CPU ratio to 21 and keep everything else as is in the pic.

It should look like this.. except try BCLK frequency of 160. Also select DRAM frequency Manually and set it to 1600mhz or the closest option to 1600 mhz.
Leave eveything else as is.

Now set Cpu Voltage to 1.22v manually instead of the 1.31v as in the pic .
CPU PLL you can leave on auto.
Qpi/Dram Core Voltage set to 1.35v
Leave all IOH and ICH settings on auto instad of the 1.15v as in the pic
Set Dram Bus Voltage to 1.656

Try this and let us know...

If your Ram Specification is for 1.5v then set QPI/DRAM Core Volts to 1.20-1.25v and set DRAM Bus Voltage to 1.51v odd .
Bump up if there is any instability.

Also Set your Ram timings Manually to whatever the specs on the ram is 7-7-7-24 or 8-8-8-24 or whatever is on them

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Thanks toolius.

TRUE 120 has one fan Scythe S-Flex. Cabinet is CM HAF 922. I guess one more thing to mention is the AS5 which I used. I made a very thin layer of AS5. Actually the numbers on the proccy are visible (translucent). I havent done the pressure mod yet. The reason is my mobo is Asus Rampage II Gene. This mobo has LGA 775 holes too where I can use the backplate of 775 kit which came from my TRUE 120. The backplate does not sit well in the groove so after I tightened it I felt that it is very well tight as against the same which I used in P5Q-E. The HS used to move in P5Q-E but not here.

Also I am still skeptical to try the OC as I have only 1 stick (2 GB) in it. My friend has 2 X 2 GB which I borrowed 1 stick. He had his machine OC to 4 Ghz which now fails the overclock due to one stick. So wil be trying to overclock it only after I put tri-channel kit. Hope it makes sense. LEt me know if it doesnt make a difference on single, dual or trichannel RAMs.

Wil post the update soon

Increasing the BCLK increases the RAM(and Uncore) frequency. Make sure the RAM multiplier is set to the lowest possible value & that you are not exceeding the RAM's max voltage/frequency value. Disable turbo boost & all the power saving features.

But the temps are surprising. Re-TIM, remount. That's the only way to know. Also, try a different paste that doesn't have a curing/burn-in time.

Will try to reapply/remount the HS tomorrow. Also to update I am able to reach till 4.00 Ghz, but the idle temps are 60 and on Prime95 reaches 94 within 10 secs and I stop the stress test as I dont want it to reach the limit. Even though 90 is still ridiculously high.

Thanks toolius for the screenprints which made me go past 3.3. Now only thing worrying is the temps. My ambient temp is somewhere around 30-32 (Bangalore). Will update after reseating the HS again.

I tried to reapply the paste today. After placing and removing the HS. I noticed that only two sides are touched and the paste in middle has no difference which means the HS is not touching the centre of the processor. Could this be because I am using the LGA 775 backplate and retention kit on this 1366 processor. The R2 Gene board has two holes for 775 and 1366. I guess there is some incompatibility of the backplate and retention. Need to save for better cooling (prolimatech meghalem or any decent WC)

btw. I have seen Thermaltake Big Water 735 WC kit which can be available for 5k. Is this worth???

i have 930 too..me using it on 1.152 vcore with dram 1.64 and qpi 1.25 and my temp is like 40 -41 nd on prime goes to 65-70 max...trydifferent cooler

Back