Unauthorized charges on my credit card

neerajvohra

Disciple
I am not sure where to post this. If this is not the correct section..moderator please move to the right section.

Today, there were few unauthorized charges on my credit card worth 300 GBP.

I have called the citicare and they blocked the card. They told me to call again once the charges are reflected on the online unbilled charges for dispute. I would like to know the process of refund for such charges? Citi care assured me that they will dispute for the same, and it will be refunded within 45 days.

If anyone of you have ever come across any such situation, please help or shed your views.

You have done the right thing by calling the Citibank and blocking the card.
Once the charges are reflected in your card, call them and raise a dispute. They would ask you to fill a charge back form/dispute form and send. (which they will send to you through post, after you call them or you can download the same online too).
Citibank will enquire about the payments mentioned in the dispute form, if found to be unauthorized, they will reverse the same.

You have done the right thing by calling the Citibank and blocking the card.
Once the charges are reflected in your card, call them and raise a dispute. They would ask you to fill a charge back form/dispute form and send. (which they will send to you through post, after you call them or you can download the same online too).
Citibank will enquire about the payments mentioned in the dispute form, if found to be unauthorized, they will reverse the same.

They have told me that the charges are not reflected on the unbilled , so I have to wait for 1-2 days. Once the charges are reflected, I need to call them again to raise a dispute and it takes max 45 days to resolve it.

Let's see where this goes, just wanted to know some experience if I will get the refund or not and if anyone has come across such issue. Any tips would be welcome.

I think another important TTD is to find out how was your CC info compromised !

I have no idea how it was compromised, I always use Visa password for transactions and I usually shop a lot every month (30-40k) on homeshop18,flipkart,paytm etc.

The only international transaction I did was for $80+ for my website hosting. I think from there the info might have leaked coz when I made the payment they didn't asked me my transaction password. Earlier I used to make payment via Paypal. Any way to check that?

^^ International transactions normally don't ask for VbV password.

hmmm..that would be the reason than. I only make payments via my laptop at home. Not sure, from where the info has been leaked. Might be while swapping it at petrol pump, or a mall someone noted my card details and done international transaction.

I have no idea how it was compromised, I always use Visa password for transactions and I usually shop a lot every month (30-40k) on homeshop18,flipkart,paytm etc.

The only international transaction I did was for $80+ for my website hosting. I think from there the info might have leaked coz when I made the payment they didn't asked me my transaction password. Earlier I used to make payment via Paypal. Any way to check that?

Your information is "leaked" every time you hand over your CC in the real world to anyone for swiping. At petrol stations, restaurants, shops, just about anywhere. Every thing you need to shop internationally is there on your CC , the one thing that can protect you, the CVV, did you ever black it out ?

I am surprised why people look to online "leak" the moment something happens, where as they are handing over this information every day on their own to the whole world.

hmmm..that would be the reason than. I only make payments via my laptop at home. Not sure, from where the info has been leaked. Might be while swapping it at petrol pump, or a mall someone noted my card details and done international transaction.

Always better to black out the CVV info on the card.

yes it is better to black out the CVV number after remembering it or in worst case if you cannot remember then write down somewhere (only CVV# not everything) and keep it at a safe place in your home.

Your information is "leaked" every time you hand over your CC in the real world to anyone for swiping. At petrol stations, restaurants, shops, just about anywhere. Every thing you need to shop internationally is there on your CC , the one thing that can protect you, the CVV, did you ever black it out ?

I am surprised why people look to online "leak" the moment something happens, where as they are handing over this information every day on their own to the whole world.

Yes, you're right. I was not aware that anyone can do international transactions with all the info mentioned on the card. My view was it still requires the transaction password to do the same.

Update: Called the citi care today and they told me that the transaction has still not been claimed, they cant create a dispute until its claimed by the merchant and asked me to call back them again in 1-2 days. I asked why cant you stop the transaction now, and they told me that until the merchant claims it, they cant do anything. Have to wait :-/

Yes, you're right. I was not aware that anyone can do international transactions with all the info mentioned on the card. My view was it still requires the transaction password to do the same.

Update: Called the citi care today and they told me that the transaction has still not been claimed, they cant create a dispute until its claimed by the merchant and asked me to call back them again in 1-2 days. I asked why cant you stop the transaction now, and they told me that until the merchant claims it, they cant do anything. Have to wait :-/

Communicate to citi in WRITING through legally recognized official means, viz .the good old indian postal service , registered A/D letter

There was a Failed fraud transaction on my card (different bank). Somebody tried to purchase a mobile on Flipkart. Called them up immediately and got it blocked.

Dispute claim was raised by Customer Care, Investigation team asked a couple of questions regarding my usage patterns.

Got a new card in 3 days.

Got a fraudulent transaction of Rs 6,000 on my AXIS bank debit card today. I called the bank and they told me that I need to file a FIR. They say they can't dispute the charges. The card was used to book tickets on the french railway site. Is there any point to filing the FIR? Is there a chance of getting my money back.

Got a fraudulent transaction of Rs 6,000 on my AXIS bank debit card today. I called the bank and they told me that I need to file a FIR. They say they can't dispute the charges. The card was used to book tickets on the french railway site. Is there any point to filing the FIR? Is there a chance of getting my money back.

What the hell is wrong with AXIS bank. Why they refusing the dispute. There seems to be a surge in e-Fraud all of a sudden. Weird.

Communicate to citi in WRITING through legally recognized official means, viz .the good old indian postal service , registered A/D letter

That charges are still not reflecting in my unbilled usage, only my credit card limit has been decreased to 22-24k. I have received a new replaced card in the meantime.

Should I wait for the charges to reflect and than call them?, or write an email now or use postal services? They only told me to wait till the charges are reflected in the unbilled usage since the merchants hasn't claimed the payment yet, and once its claimed than file the dispute.

They also told me if the merchant doesnt claim the money, it will automatically be refunded and my credit limit will be increased. If he claims, than ONLY they can file the dispute against the charges.

Back