Unauthorized charges on my credit card

^ Check with Citi who the merchant is, and send a mail to the merchant directly saying someone used your card without authorization on their website. Most legit sites take fraud seriously and will try to help you out. A charge back will cost the merchant too, and they will try to avoid it.

I didn't knew that transactions are possible with the CVV number alone and not requiring the Visa password.That was quite informational.
And I was wondering why the CVV number on my card got rubbed off with my wet hands. I think the bank did it purposely.
And i was stupid enough to rewrite the number with a marker fearing that i would forget it. :facepalm:

Got a fraudulent transaction of Rs 6,000 on my AXIS bank debit card today. I called the bank and they told me that I need to file a FIR. They say they can't dispute the charges. The card was used to book tickets on the french railway site. Is there any point to filing the FIR? Is there a chance of getting my money back.

Ask them why they cant dispute the charges .. and did ur card get cloned ?

- - - Updated - - -

^ Check with Citi who the merchant is, and send a mail to the merchant directly saying someone used your card without authorization on their website. Most legit sites take fraud seriously and will try to help you out. A charge back will cost the merchant too, and they will try to avoid it.

Your agreement is with CITI, not the merchant, do not make it complicated, RBI , EOW, ombudsman, are your friends, pursue these routes.

- - - Updated - - -

That charges are still not reflecting in my unbilled usage, only my credit card limit has been decreased to 22-24k. I have received a new replaced card in the meantime.

Should I wait for the charges to reflect and than call them?, or write an email now or use postal services? They only told me to wait till the charges are reflected in the unbilled usage since the merchants hasn't claimed the payment yet, and once its claimed than file the dispute.

They also told me if the merchant doesnt claim the money, it will automatically be refunded and my credit limit will be increased. If he claims, than ONLY they can file the dispute against the charges.

So what is your stand? that even though you informed bank it was fraudulent, they still gave it away. Do you realise how stupid CITI will sound in any court of law ? and in the EOW department, .. you (CITI) gave him the money AFTER the card holder informed you it was fake ? .. lol citi will get kicked on the arse

- - - Updated - - -

Your agreement is with CITI, not the merchant, do not make it complicated, RBI , EOW, ombudsman, are your friends, pursue these routes.

- - - Updated - - -

So what is your stand? that even though you informed bank it was fraudulent, they still gave it away. Do you realise how stupid CITI will sound in any court of law ? and in the EOW department, .. you (CITI) gave him the money AFTER the card holder informed you it was fake ? .. lol citi will get kicked on the arse

Help me than, What should I do now?

Help me than, What should I do now?
Official letter sent to CITI via a legally recognised delivery system (ie. Indian speed post registered with AD, anything else is still not legally recognized)
Detail that you have already informed them that the charge is not valid, and it has been abuse of your card. List every conversation where you had with CITI and insist on non payment of the amount as the same has only been blocked at present and not charged.

, CITI's first obligation is to its card holder , not the client.

What the hell is wrong with AXIS bank. Why they refusing the dispute. There seems to be a surge in e-Fraud all of a sudden. Weird.
Holiday season

That charges are still not reflecting in my unbilled usage, only my credit card limit has been decreased to 22-24k. I have received a new replaced card in the meantime.

Should I wait for the charges to reflect and than call them?, or write an email now or use postal services? They only told me to wait till the charges are reflected in the unbilled usage since the merchants hasn't claimed the payment yet, and once its claimed than file the dispute.

They also told me if the merchant doesnt claim the money, it will automatically be refunded and my credit limit will be increased. If he claims, than ONLY they can file the dispute against the charges.
Normally when you swipe your card, the money goes to something called a hold. This hold is like a virtual amount, it gets deducted but is not visible on the account. You can think of it as Ledger Bal = Total amt in your account, Avail Balance = Total amt - hold.
If the hold is not claimed via a receipt by the counterparty bank, it will sit in your account till expiry. If expired without any claim, money goes back to your account. While under normal circumstances (specially things like buyers guilt), CITI might be right in letting the hold be claimed. I think you need to shoot them a letter/ask to talk to a supervisor in harsh tone - if even the supervisor cant do anything - take a dip and visit the nearest CITI branch to talk to the Branch Manager.

Holiday season

Normally when you swipe your card, the money goes to something called a hold. This hold is like a virtual amount, it gets deducted but is not visible on the account. You can think of it as Ledger Bal = Total amt in your account, Avail Balance = Total amt - hold.
If the hold is not claimed via a receipt by the counterparty bank, it will sit in your account till expiry. If expired without any claim, money goes back to your account. While under normal circumstances (specially things like buyers guilt), CITI might be right in letting the hold be claimed. I think you need to shoot them a letter/ask to talk to a supervisor in harsh tone - if even the supervisor cant do anything - take a dip and visit the nearest CITI branch to talk to the Branch Manager.

Official letter sent to CITI via a legally recognised delivery system (ie. Indian speed post registered with AD, anything else is still not legally recognized)
Detail that you have already informed them that the charge is not valid, and it has been abuse of your card. List every conversation where you had with CITI and insist on non payment of the amount as the same has only been blocked at present and not charged.

, CITI's first obligation is to its card holder , not the client.

Alright. I will send a letter via speed post explaining all the conversation details and the transactions amount which is unauthorized. I called the citicare today, and they again told me that your statement has been generated, and the charges are not billed. Neither the charges are reflecting in the unbilled usage. They can only raise a dispute once the merchant claims so that they can ask for refund.

Without even transferring the money, how come we (citi) can raise a dispute against it. Will mail the letter to citi office tomorrow and will keep you guys updated. Thanks for all the help. Really means a lot.

As of now, my statement has been generated with no such charges, and no charges are reflecting in the unbilled. Though the credit limit has been decreased. Let's see.

Alright. I will send a letter via speed post explaining all the conversation details and the transactions amount which is unauthorized. I called the citicare today, and they again told me that your statement has been generated, and the charges are not billed. Neither the charges are reflecting in the unbilled usage. They can only raise a dispute once the merchant claims so that they can ask for refund.

Without even transferring the money, how come we (citi) can raise a dispute against it. Will mail the letter to citi office tomorrow and will keep you guys updated. Thanks for all the help. Really means a lot.

As of now, my statement has been generated with no such charges, and no charges are reflecting in the unbilled. Though the credit limit has been decreased. Let's see.

Welcome,

Credit limit decreased means its on hold, call citi and ask why your credit limit is has been reduced, and then make it a point to clearly state that those charges are not authorised by you, as such they should not pay it and the limit restroed. Take the name of the agent you spoke to, and note full details, date time etc. for future dispute.

Also, I forgot, have you cancelled your card and got a new one?

Welcome,

Credit limit decreased means its on hold, call citi and ask why your credit limit is has been reduced, and then make it a point to clearly state that those charges are not authorised by you, as such they should not pay it and the limit restroed. Take the name of the agent you spoke to, and note full details, date time etc. for future dispute.

Also, I forgot, have you cancelled your card and got a new one?

yeah, they told me about the transactions and its not claimed by the merchants as mentioned earlier. All they want me is to hold till the merchant claim it so that they can dispute the same for refund.

I already cancelled the old card, got the new one within 2 days.

^ We should make how to deal with card fraud thread hehe.

In my case, despite customer care saying that the can't dispute the charges, I got a call today my bank branch saying that the transaction had been red flagged by the fraud team and that they wanted a confirmation from me that these were indeed fraudulent transactions. The bank is filing a dispute with the merchant and they say I will get my money back.

I'm happy that I will get my money back, but something smells fishy. I have only ever used my card at three or four reputed online stores (Flipkart, Steam, Google wallet) and I was very careful when physically swiping it in Europe. Is it possible that the bank screwed up? Because it happened an hour or so after I signed up for Axis's netsecure service.

^ We should make how to deal with card fraud thread hehe.

In my case, despite customer care saying that the can't dispute the charges, I got a call today my bank branch saying that the transaction had been red flagged by the fraud team and that they wanted a confirmation from me that these were indeed fraudulent transactions. The bank is filing a dispute with the merchant and they say I will get my money back.

I'm happy that I will get my money back, but something smells fishy. I have only ever used my card at three or four reputed online stores (Flipkart, Steam, Google wallet) and I was very careful when physically swiping it in Europe. Is it possible that the bank screwed up? Because it happened an hour or so after I signed up for Axis's netsecure service.

There is nothing fishy, go through the thread, cc theft does not talk place online, its in the real word where the trouble starts.

What are you saying..? I do not get you. Of course online fraud can happen.

Sure online fraud can happen, but in the above case it most likely was offline.

And the chance of online fraud, is more a case of using your CC without due precaution, like on compromised computers and at fake sites. Its extremely difficult or almost impossible if used with due prudence.

Sure online fraud can happen, but in the above case it most likely was offline.

And the chance of online fraud, is more a case of using your CC without due precaution, like on compromised computers and at fake sites. Its extremely difficult or almost impossible if used with due prudence.

How would it be offline, when the card has been with the user.

Update: one charge has been reflected in my unbilled statement, and called the citi care and they have filled a dispute for the same. They will temp revert the charges to increase my credit limit, and they told me to fill up a CDF form and email them for the same within 7 days.

It takes 60 days for the dispute to resolve, and then only the money will be refunded if its actually a unauthorized charges. Too bad, I have to keep an eye on my unbilled charges to see other 2 fraud charges, and for every charge I have to send them the form.

Back