Graphic Cards Uncomfirmed AMD R9-390X & Nvidia GTX 960 Indian Pricing

Checked the reviews and most games were 40+ frames @ 1440p with 4xAA . If its priced around 15-17k will be worth it. I wish if they release a 4GB version sooner.

Wondering if this is worth getting for 1080p gaming in high for the next couple of years.

No, this card will be completely obsolete by next year. First of all it's only got 2gb vram which is too low for 2015 considering you have to keep it at least for a couple of years and even if the 128bit memory interface isn't being much of a bottleneck for the time being it will eventually show its limitations when the heavyweight titles show up. In fact the card is being marketed towards the MOBA market.

Most of the reviews are of the factory overclocked ones and even then it's barely managing to beat the year old stock 280/285 in most games which not only comes with a wider bus but with more vram at the same price. The only thing it's got going for it is the low power draw imo.
Nvidia is basically selling the 950Ti as the 960 and it's a no-brainer to avoid this @18k. Save some more and get the 970 or wait for team red to unleash their cards in the April-June period like me. Anyways there aren't any good games to play atm, if you're interested in playing titles like GTAV, Witcher 3, Batman:AK or Phantom Pain it'll be wiser to wait.

This is so sad. i was looking forward to this. thought it would match the gtx 770.
its the same price range as the r9 280/285 and it's stuck with a 128-bit memory bus which explains why only 2gb of memory.
18k is too much - it has a launch price of $200 and that's a 30% premium over here.
And considering these specs, the 950/ti will be just as disappointing.

I agree with psyph3r : save up and get a 970. If you can wait, then hold out for the radeon 300 series with stacked memory.
General rule of thumb with me - if you want a long lasting card then get something with a 256-bit or wider memory bus.

On the plus side, maybe prices of the 760 and 770 might come down?

Makes sense. Primary purpose of the upgrade is indeed for GTA V. We'll have to see how well the game does on the 960 at 1080p.

I was actually looking to get away without upgrading my PSU (Corsair VX450) and get GTX 960 since the power draw is impressive. I guess it's better to go for a Seasonic 620 along with GTX 970.

Paying so much to get good performance in only a few specific titles is a waste IMO.
In fact, an older 770 will serve you better (and longer) than a new 960.
But aside from the the 750ti and the 960 - you'll need a 550w+ psu for any decent card.

Guess now all that's left to do is wait for the radeon 300 series.

There was a good deal going on for 970 in snapdeal until yesterday for 25.5 with additional 1.2k cashback.

However the story was developing about the Vram issue, Nvidia's response etc. and would like to see what nvidia does to fix it.

Lord Nemesis has posted an anandtech article link about that.
https://www.techenclave.com/communi...the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation.172037/

From what i understand of the article, it seems nvidia were not entirely accurate about the 970's specs i.e. 0.5GB of slower memory and a slightly different memory subsystem than the 980 its based on.
Bottom-line: its not an accident or a defect IMO and since it's not causing any performance or quality issues i wouldn't worry about it.

The ROP`s were 56 and they advertised it as 64. False Advertisement is False Advertisement ! Shame on you nvidia.

great - they rebadged everything but the 390's.
They should drop the radeon branding and call it the AMD Rebadge Series
7970 rebadged as-> 280x rebadged as-> 370x... rebadged as 460x next?
I also thought that they were shifting to a new architecture but all are gcn based.
if their improvements are like what they did with the 285 (tonga) then :meh:

I wish i could say the silver lining here is we can expect price drops in the 200 series but going by prices of the 7800 and 7900 series, i highly doubt it.

Last edited:
7970 rebadged as-> 280x rebadged as-> 370x... rebadged as 460x next?

Seriously, those Tahiti cards have been on the market for ages now, leaning a bit towards the 380x but then again Hawaii consumes a ton of power so i might have to go mid-range if there are no improvements on that front, it all depends on the pricing now.

Back