Unlocking a HTC Desire or Droid Incredible

desiibond said:
it's pretty easy actually. all you need to do is root your phone and install custom ROM. head over to XDA developers for more information.
That's the free method right.
Incase I don't want to take a risk with rooting I can get it that done for around 1K here in India right

wr8_utd said:
That's the free method right.

Incase I don't want to take a risk with rooting I can get it that done for around 1K here in India right
hmm. and then the first OTA from HTC can lock it back. it's better to learn about rooting and unlocking yourself.

desiibond said:
hmm. and then the first OTA from HTC can lock it back. it's better to learn about rooting and unlocking yourself.
Is that true? If I unlocked it and then downloaded Froyo I would lose the unlocked phone? Could I use the same code again?

And is it difficult to use cable and unlock it myself?

kekerode said:
@OP : Once phone is unlocked using unlock code ... it will remain unlocked forever ... condition is that phone has to soft locked :)
Oh that's great news :D

What's a soft lock though? I think the iPhone gets locked again even if you use an unlock code but not anyother phone.

wr8_utd said:

What's a soft lock though? I think the iPhone gets locked again even if you use an unlock code but not anyother phone.
There was an instance where my friend got a SE phone unlocked and when the firmware update was done, the phone got locked again. If the unlock is not done through proper channels, its better to rely on custom ROMs instead of OTA updates.

wr8_utd said:

Soft lock mean u can unlock using code or software or firmware :) ... Hard locked phones need to be tempered at circuit level

iPhone is the case where soft unlocking is temporary ... usually it's permanent however it's manufacturer's choice

For HTC ... I guess they won't do stupid things like Apple ... so it should be permanent only ... 99.99% :p

desiibond said:
There was an instance where my friend got a SE phone unlocked and when the firmware update was done, the phone got locked again. If the unlock is not done through proper channels, its better to rely on custom ROMs instead of OTA updates.
SE looks like the same as iPhone ... at least with T-Mobile HD2, this is not the case :eek:hyeah:

desiibond said:
Well I'll reply from one of the more trusted online sites so I think it should be a proper channel :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

kekerode said:
Soft lock mean u can unlock using code or software or firmware :) ... Hard locked phones need to be tempered at circuit level

iPhone is the case where soft unlocking is temporary ... usually it's permanent however it's manufacturer's choice

For HTC ... I guess they won't do stupid things like Apple ... so it should be permanent only ... 99.99% :p
Hehe thanks a lot! I'll be using an unlock code only. Any sites that you could recommend?

Guys !! You CANNOT unlock HTC handsets by installing custom ROMs! Unlocking and rooting are two separate things!! You have to buy unlock code for your handset (based on its IMEI) and once it is unlocked, it will stay that way forever irrespective of whether you install custom or official ROMs!!

Back