Unrestricted Access to the Internet Should be a Fundamental Right... Right?

BikeAdvice

Disciple
I have been using the internet for the past 8-9 years and I have used all its services starting from Netaddress Email IDs.

Right now I can see that the growth of the Internet and the services provided through it is increasing exponentially.

Many people including me depend on the internet for the income. I am investing my time and most productive years in learning about Internet and computers and I believe that this will only get better.

But just like a Plane does not fly with parachutes, I am having a backup plan - an alternate business idea in mind in case the internet should come to a stage where it gets controlled, corrupted and undependable due to corporate interests and government rules. (Read more on Net Neutrality to know where I am coming from).

I believe prevention is better than cure. We have seen corruption take its toll where there is big money involved. When the masses start using it, people start poisoning the system for profits.

Example, almost everyone has started using the cell phone and we witnessed the biggest scam of the century in our country. People depend on cell phones and mobile networks for their business and day-to-day life will not go on without the phone.

A large majority of Indian population does not depend on the internet for living. Life will still go on for the majority of India if Internet dies all over the country. (Talking on a aam admi level).

But for guys like us, we find it difficult to breathe when the internet is cut off. I will became mentally ill if I am forced to live without the internet for 7+ days.

When a time comes where the reach of internet becomes as much as the mobile phone is today... people are sure to think evil.

So where do we even get started?

I strongly feel there should be some sort of Bill passed in the constitution regarding freedom/right of access to the internet. What do you think?

But for guys like us, we find it difficult to breathe when the internet is cut off. I will became mentally ill if I am forced to live without the internet for 7+ days.

I strongly feel there should be some sort of Bill passed in the constitution regarding freedom/right of access to the internet. What do you think?

LOL !!!!

That's because you don't have think how you'll get your food tonight or whether you will get it at all not! You don't have to worry where you'll sleep in a cold winter night and so on........

In a country where getting food, shelter and medical treatment is a luxury for majority - you are thinking of unlimited internet access as fundamental right? Grow up buddy and keep your eyes open when you hit the street.

I know this is a tech forum, but Archat is right. We have way bigger (and long over due) issues to sort out besides the Internet.

as a budding developer(learning on my own). I also share the thought what if the whole system crashes overnight and what would happen to lakhs of people depending on it. Yes, I acknowledge that india is a poor country and for many food , clothing is a luxury. we also should see the number of people working in IT sector(CTS,TCS) and lavishly spending their salaries. Many countries are seeing india as a potential market for luxury goods. No comments about freedom to internet , atleast indian government should not control the internet like China.

archat68 said:
LOL !!!!

That's because you don't have think how you'll get your food tonight or whether you will get it at all not! You don't have to worry where you'll sleep in a cold winter night and so on........

In a country where getting food, shelter and medical treatment is a luxury for majority - you are thinking of unlimited internet access as fundamental right? Grow up buddy and keep your eyes open when you hit the street.

Internet will play a major role in how the country develops. Internet will also be a tool in changing such a state of India.

It IS being used to help people - example, Internet plays a major role in educating farmers across the country regarding best cultivation practices.

What you are saying is right. That does not mean we should stop worrying about this.

BikeAdvice said:
Internet will play a major role in how the country develops. Internet will also be a tool in changing such a state of India.

It IS being used to help people - example, Internet plays a major role in educating farmers across the country regarding best cultivation practices.

What you are saying is right. That does not mean we should stop worrying about this.

Everything depends on how the policy makers envision the growth; so far, even after 64 years of Independence, India is still a developing country. Growth has been there, but it's slow. Developmental projects are processed in phases and based on priority and as Archat stated, living condition in India is still prehistoric.

As far as internet goes there has been a massive development in past few years itself. I dont go to a store now for getting my electronic goods. i dont go to a bookstore for my books.I dont go to a reservation center for my train tickets and bus tickets. I can check my bank balance online. Feeling charitable .... Donate Online. Meet friends Online . Play online . Meet new people online. Agree or Deny but internet has a massive effect on our lives.

archat68 said:
LOL !!!!

Very true! I think that we have more important issues to worry about rather than the need for Internet. With regards to unrestricted access - There should not be govt. control on the Internet. Sites should not be banned or blocked for whatever reason.

BikeAdvice said:

What non sense are u talking? :mad: :mad:.

Lets talk facts for a minute

1) Which farmer is getting 24 hours power supply and good price for his products for him to learn from internet which might help him to produce more goods.

2) Have u steped out of ur internet life and visited any village where draught has been hit ?

Farmers are commiting suicides becuase of no support from governement. They are treated like ants in our country which is really sad. If i am not wrong in Andhra Pradesh atleast one farmer is dying everyday.

India has many important problems to deal with than the stupid unlimited/ unrestricted internet. 90% of us here use internet to download *ahem* stuff( sorry for generalizing)

+1 to Metalspree's comment. Heck companies in South Africa use an ADSL 1 Mbps line as their corporate connection. There are priorities that Indian govt. needs to think about. Internet is not one of them

BikeAdvice said:
Example, almost everyone has started using the cell phone and we witnessed the biggest scam of the century in our country. People depend on cell phones and mobile networks for their business and day-to-day life will not go on without the phone.
But the govt's been screaming itself hoarse that by selling bandwidth for so cheap it enables EVEN more people to get a cellphone.

Celphone connections are not being restricted, they are not charging more, in fact its claimed we have the cheapest rates on the planet.

Raja's defence is he saw a doubling of teledensity when he was in office.

BikeAdvice said:
A large majority of Indian population does not depend on the internet for living. Life will still go on for the majority of India if Internet dies all over the country. (Talking on a aam admi level).

When a time comes where the reach of internet becomes as much as the mobile phone is today... people are sure to think evil.

So where do we even get started?

See, this is a non-sequitur. That means 'does not follow'.

If a 2G scam happened in internet space the result is rates would be even cheaper. Access would be doubled.

Is it a fundamental right to use a cellphone ? so why should that apply with the internet.

So i don't know what it is you are worried about :)

If i were you i would try to think of a way that would make access to the internet by cellphone indispensable for the millions here. Spend your time pondering over that. You have a platform that hundreds of millions can use, now is there some killer app or two that could make the experience better.

Back