Budget 51-70k UPDATE: Urgently Looking to buy a laptop for Office Productivity and Image Processing - Shortlisted Lenovo Legion 5.. Any suggestions

PrAnKsTeR

Disciple
Hi Guys,
My old Acer Laptop in use since 2008 finally died on me today. Being a freelance brand consultant who travels frequently (Even in this pandemic) I am looking to urgently purchase a laptop mainly for heavy office productivity (Lots of MS OFFICE usage, especially PPT, EXCEL, WORD) and for heavy image processing (Photoshop, Lightroom) and occasional Gaming / OTT Streaming.. Kindly guide.. also if the laptop is future proof to some extent it would be great (like Wifi 6, slot for adding SSD, slot for upgrading RAM, etc.)
  • What's your Budget? - Upto 70K. Can shell out more than Rs. 1 lakh but it should be justifiable basis productivity requirement. Not open to spending just for looks or brand but open to spending for productivity
  • What will be your primary usage for the notebook be?- Heavy office productivity usage like Zoom calls, Microsoft Teams, PPT making, Excel analysis (heavy data mining), Word, Photoshop & Lightroom for RAW image processing,
  • What size and weight considerations do you have? - Want a more comfortable keyboard so not looking for an ultra-portable 11'... open to 17' as i use a stroller bag and rarely carry the laptop in my backpack
  • Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest?- No such preference or avoidance
  • Any other considerations? - Good Battery life or a fast charger would be a plus.. Matt Screen please
Looking forward to your suggestions guys.

Thanks,
Pranky

Not sure if you're comfortable with the idea of Mac, but do take a look at the Macbook Air with M1 chip. The performance and battery life are off the charts. It's a very good fit for your usecase, if you're comfortable with the idea of switching operating system.

You can check the prices on Flipkart. It's a bit over your budget, but since you're willing to spend up to a lakh, so I mentioned.

Do take a look at reviews of the M1 chip based Macs. Up until Apple switched to M1, I had never recommended a Macbook to anyone. But M1 is really good and unmatched right now.

Not sure if you're comfortable with the idea of Mac, but do take a look at the Macbook Air with M1 chip. The performance and battery life are off the charts. It's a very good fit for your usecase, if you're comfortable with the idea of switching operating system.

You can check the prices on Flipkart. It's a bit over your budget, but since you're willing to spend up to a lakh, so I mentioned.

Do take a look at reviews of the M1 chip based Macs. Up until Apple switched to M1, I had never recommended a Macbook to anyone. But M1 is really good and unmatched right now.
I was actually seriously considering a Mac but I feel the newer MacBooks are just round the corner and they too are rumored to be coming with the new M2 chip which will definitely boost MacBook performance a lot... so not going for the MacBook air and waiting for the new MacBook pro... but in the meantime would need a lappy to do office work... making do with a tablet for now

Also given my budget the Lenovo ThinkPad seems to be a good fit... the Asus zenbook duo with dual screen seems an overkill but am exploring their ROG and TUF series from pure performance perspective and they seem promising... still undecided though.. need 11th Gen Intel processor, wifi 6 and 512 gb ssd and 8 gb ram at least with option to upgrade ssd by 1 tb and ram by another 8gb

Do keep sharing your suggestions bros

Update 5th July 2021 : Guys.. I have shortlisted a few gaming centric laptops purely from the productivity perspective... really liking the lenovo legion 5 AMD 5 4600 ... have the Asus TUF A15 also in my sights but it seems a little over hyped.... how do you guys feel about the Lenovo Legion 5 with AMD 5 processors... might have to wait a bit for the prices to cool down or for some Prime Day / Independence Day Sale to come.

Last edited:
how do you guys feel about the Lenovo Legion 5 with AMD 5 processors
There's an ongoing issue with the Lenovo Legion 5 & 5Pro about inability to use H.264 encoding using the nVidia GPU.
I myself wanted to go for Legion 5 but after coming to know of the bug..have decided to postpone until things are resolved.

Read more about it

Back