Upgrade for Maya

^^ If your friend is going for a 50,000/- PC here is what I'll suggest [Also is this only for CPU, Motherboard and RAM OR your friend needs all the assorted components like Monitor cabinet et al] --

Intel Core i7 2600 ~ 15900/-

Intel DH67-BL ~ 5800/-

Corsair XMS3 4GB x 2 OR G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x 2 1600MHz modules ~ 3200/-

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 320GB ~ 3500/- [not really sure on the price, but it seems to be still going North]

Seasonic S12II 520W ~ 3200/- [get this SMPS and you'll have upgrade-ability for the future]

Highest possible Quadro card in your budget ~ 20000/-

NZXT Gamma ~ 2300/-

Hope this helps Sire, happy new year to all on this thread.

ALPHA17 said:
^^ If your friend is going for a 50,000/- PC here is what I'll suggest [Also is this only for CPU, Motherboard and RAM OR your friend needs all the assorted components like Monitor cabinet et al] --

Intel Core i7 2600 ~ 15900/-

Intel DH67-BL ~ 5800/-

Corsair XMS3 4GB x 2 OR G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x 2 1600MHz modules ~ 3200/-

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 320GB ~ 3500/- [not really sure on the price, but it seems to be still going North]

Seasonic S12II 520W ~ 3200/- [get this SMPS and you'll have upgrade-ability for the future]

Highest possible Quadro card in your budget ~ 20000/-

NZXT Gamma ~ 2300/-

Hope this helps Sire, happy new year to all on this thread.

Hey, Wish you the same :)

My friend needs CPU+MOBO+GPU+RAM

i7 2600 will be good or should i go for AMD FX-8150

more cores will help right?

Dealers dont have Quadro 1800 so we are going for Quadro FX 2000 ~28K

Go for AMD FirePro V5900 - it is almost as fast as Quadro 4000 but much cheaper and uses half the power. Go for FX-8120, which should save a lot over i7 2600. In SPECviewperf11 Maya FX-8120 is actually faster than i7 2600. Doesn't necessarily translate to real-world performance, but it's worth putting that money towards a better GPU. V5900 is a big step up over Quadro 2000 or FirePro V4900.

^^ The FirePro series from AMD doesn't support a lot of MAYA plug-ins which are tailored by nVidia, also MentalRAY is a nVidia subsidiary the performance leap with an nVidia card will be more pronounced, the Quadro 4000 series itself costs around ~ 40,000/- [where will OP get the rest components].

Also the BullDozer cores do not show consistent performance against Intel Sandy-Bridge, come Ivy-Bridge and AMD will be steam-rolled again.

AnandTech - Bench - CPU / AMD FX-8150: The Bottom Line : AMD Bulldozer Review: FX-8150 Gets Tested

Toss a single-threaded app at the processor, though, and it underperforms Intel's three-year-old Core i7-920 running at its stock 2.66 GHz. AMD’s architects say they shot to maintain IPC and ramp up clock rate, but something clearly went wrong along the way.

Ironically, consistent, scalable performance is one of the attributes that AMD claims it gets from its Bulldozer module. The issue we see over and over, though, is that it relies on software able to exploit scalability in order to compete. When it doesn’t get what it wants, performance steps back relative to the previous generation. As a result, even though AMD implements a more advanced version of Turbo Core to help improve single-threaded performance, the difference between what you get in lightly- and heavily-threaded applications is anything but consistent.

AMD FX-8150 Conclusion | bit-tech.net

It’s a lack of single-threaded performance that holds the FX-8150 back – its efforts in our single-threaded image editing test were dire compared to every other processor on test. Even worse, this supposedly 8-core CPU running at 3.6GHz was hardly much faster than a six-core Phenom II X6 1100T running at 3.3GHz in heavily multi-threaded applications that saturate all available execution cores. In Cinebench R11.5 and WPrime – applications where a 8-core CPU should dominate a 6-core (let alone a quad-core) – we saw a lack of performance.

The answer, we think, comes from Bulldozer’s history. We started this review with a brief history lesson for a reason: we really believe that Bulldozer was intended for servers and workstations, not desktop PC running consumer applications. The lack of grunt-per-core doesn’t matter too much in a server or workstation, as most professional applications are n-threaded and balance that load evenly to saturate every core available. Furthermore, it’s widely assumed that there will be an Opteron based on the Bulldozer design that incorporates eight modules, for 16 execution cores. Bulldozer, we believe, is built for massive parallelism.

AnandTech - The Bulldozer Review: AMD FX-8150 Tested

We finally have a high-end AMD CPU with power gating as well as a very functional Turbo Core mode. Unfortunately the same complaints we've had about AMD's processors over the past few years still apply here today: in lightly threaded scenarios, Bulldozer simply does not perform. To make matters worse, in some heavily threaded applications the improvement over the previous generation Phenom II X6 simply isn't enough to justify an upgrade for existing AM3+ platform owners. AMD has released a part that is generally more competitive than its predecessor, but not consistently so. AMD also makes you choose between good single or good multithreaded performance, a tradeoff that we honestly shouldn't have to make in the era of power gating and turbo cores.

umesh_boogy said:
Hey, Wish you the same :)

My friend needs CPU+MOBO+GPU+RAM

i7 2600 will be good or should i go for AMD FX-8150

more cores will help right?

Dealers dont have Quadro 1800 so we are going for Quadro FX 2000 ~28K

Go for the Core i7 2600 setup, the AMD FX-8150 has 4 modules [8 cores by virtue that each gets it own L2 cache and integer scheduler, but all modules play with a fixed L3 cache and two cores in a module get a single Fetch and Decode unit], here this will explain better -- http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/10/12/amd-fx-8150-review/2, also the Core i7 gets 4 physical cores + 4 logical [hyper-threaded] cores = 8 cores http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/03/intel-sandy-bridge-review/13, so each company can claim they have an octa-core processor on the market.

Quadro 2000 will be sufficient for most tasks, go for it, try to get the latest Fermi edition Quadro series.

If your friend wants to game as well the Quadro 4000 cards are what he should aim for but the Quadro 4800 retails for ~ 54500/- [last checked 3 months ago in Bangalore].

Hope this clarifies any lingering doubts Sire, cheers!!

Back