Graphic Cards Upgrade from a 4850

Atlantis

Disciple
Hi !

looking for an upgrade to my almost dying 4850, she served me well. Even the games like max payne and arkham city played smoothly. i am an occasional gamer. Could you please suggest a card ! I have a budget around 5k to 6k but could exceed if the real world performance is significant rather than some benchmark increase.

My config is there in my sig.
Looking forward to your replies . I will be buying this card in mumbai.

I think you should consider a board cpu overhaul. HD7750 1gb is a good card in the 6-7k range.

Across the board CPU overhaul will be expensive and not really a game changer for OP. Performance wise it is right where the HD4850 is OR slightly improved but in all other parameters such as, efficiency and compute it is a better card.
AnandTech - Bench - GPU12 --> AMD HD4870 vs. AMD HD7750.

OP try to get the higher clocked version of the HD7750 (900MHz core-clock rather than 800MHz core-clock) for best performance by that card.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

OP, I think you should wait a bit for an upgrade as any performance increases you will see in that budget will be minor. The 4850 is still a very solid card.

Hi !

looking for an upgrade to my almost dying 4850, she served me well. Even the games like max payne and arkham city played smoothly. i am an occasional gamer. Could you please suggest a card ! I have a budget around 5k to 6k but could exceed if the real world performance is significant rather than some benchmark increase.

My config is there in my sig.
Looking forward to your replies . I will be buying this card in mumbai.

Get the HD 7770 if you really want to see a difference. Should run you around 8-9k.

Thank you for the replies ! I won't be looking at a system upgrade, cause the cpu is really stable and I have a spare mother board of the same chipset. So new upgrades are out. I am aware of the cpu bottlenecks of the new gen graphic cards, that is why I wish to take a card that complements my current config. I was leaning towards the Sapphire 6670 the GDDr5 version. Whats your take on this card ?

Like you said, theres no point upgrading the rest of your rig as most games nowadays are GPU dependent.

The 6670 would actually be a bit of a downgrade!

The 6770 ( basically re-badged 5770) is marginally better than the 7750, but draws more power and runs hotter.

Performance wise the 6770 will at max be 10% better that the the 4850.

The only other advantage would be dx11 support.

See charts here with 4770 comparison
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/513?vs=538

Excuse the stupid reading comprehension! Read it as 6770 for some reason. Edited the post

Like you said, theres no point upgrading the rest of your rig as mos games nowadays are GPU dependent.

The 6670 ( basically re-badged 5770) is marginally better than the 7750, but draws more power and runs hotter.

Performance wise the 6670 will at max be 10% better that the the 4850.

The only other advantage would be dx11 support.

See charts here with 4770 comparison
AnandTech - Bench - GPU12

I believe you're talking about the 6770 and not the 6670.

Games also depend upon the CPU. I suggest you don't spend too much on a new GPU unless you plan on upgrading the rest of the setup in the near future.

Which card would you recommend that is better than the 4850 and is priced at around 5000 - 5500. Sorry for the late reply

- - - Updated - - -

open for some second hand upgrades as well !

If you wan't to get a second hand gpu then try getting Sahppire HD6850 it'll fit the budget.For first hand i'd recommend you to add few bucks and get Sapphire HD7750,That would be a good upgrade.
Which card would you recommend that is better than the 4850 and is priced at around 5000 - 5500. Sorry for the late reply

- - - Updated - - -

open for some second hand upgrades as well !

I have a MSI twin frozr2 version of the ati 5850 with warranty till aug 2013 - let me know if you're interested.

Back