Upgrade from Galaxy S (Low on budget, ~17k)

Rahul++

SuperUser
Skilled
Hello, After using Samsung Galaxy S like a toy for around 2 years (Thanks a lot my loving SGS for teaching me Android development, ROM creation. You also helped me to earn a lot of money :p). Finally my SGS decided to retire (Camera, Wifi doesn't work anymore.. Confirmed, that's h/w a problem). I am going to purchase a new Smartphone in the upcoming couple of days. I am extremely low on budget :(

1. Q: Budget?
A: 17k - 18k Max

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: TFT, IPS, anything which is SHARP and bright :)

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Samsung, HTC, Sony.. No such dislikes.. It should have good community support.

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: 5MP will suffice, Flash is not that necessary

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android Only.

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G, 2G, Wifi

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc.)?
A: Internet, Mails, Social Networking, Messaging, Moderate Gaming

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: It should have good community support (Custom ROM and stuff). Should be future proof for like 1-1.5 year.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Sony Xperia Sola..

Can't stretch my budget more than 18k.

if you can get an Optimus 2X or Galaxy R, just dont budge.. Go for it..
I own a Galaxy R and Voodoo sound is One thing I cant live without! :)
About Dev, people recently donated a phone to a CM Developer. CM7.2 is in Alpha Stages(most of the things working) And should be 100% ready in a Week or 2. Later CM10..
Else if you are soo concerned about Dev support,look at O2x. The Best Phone around 20K!!

Well, Development is not the case with me as far as I go with Samsung devices or even Google flagship devices. I can compile / port any version of android from sources. I haven't seen Android structure for other devices.

How is audio quality of Galaxy Nexus?

Well, I might get Galaxy Nexus from Singapore. Will it worth the money I will spend? (Can get it for 500 Sg dollars + Shipping from Chennai or Mumbai)

500 SGD = Rs. 21,910.28
Shipping = 50 SGD = Rs. 2,191.03
Total = 24101.31 (Excluding Customs which will be something weird)

Add 400 Bucks to that amount of 24.1k and you can get a seal packed device locally (Just saw it on a friends shop and was selling for 24.5k, ebay kinda sucks as they overcharge for this phone). Not to forget the customs people, you have to grease their palms and the risk involved in shipping (manhandling packages, exposure to rain, delay in arrival etc.,)

If you are keen on an 'adventurous' purchase, go get it from Singapore :p

500 SGD = Rs. 21,910.28
Shipping = 50 SGD = Rs. 2,191.03
Total = 24101.31 (Excluding Customs which will be something weird)

Add 400 Bucks to that amount of 24.1k and you can get a seal packed device locally (Just saw it on a friends shop and was selling for 24.5k, ebay kinda sucks as they overcharge for this phone). Not to forget the customs people, you have to grease their palms and the risk involved in shipping (manhandling packages, exposure to rain, delay in arrival etc.,)

If you are keen on an 'adventurous' purchase, go get it from Singapore :p

Lol, my friend is coming back to India from Singapore. He will get the phone along with him and later he will ship it to me after reaching India (Chennai most probably). So shipping would be around 500bucks.

Back