Budget 0-20k Upgrade rig for gaming.

Most 1st timers do fall for the bait brother.
And I bet you must have witnessed lot of such episodes.

If not I was/am really very dumb :p

One of the major reasons is that first time buyers are too scared of assembling issues. Since the dealer assures a hassle free assembly, they feel they are dependent on the dealer. This is why many don't do comparison shopping for each component and get all from the dealer who assembles. Such scams as you are saying are also common.

This is off topic but an important tip.

Which ever rig you decide finally go for it only.
When you go to buy at these tech shops they try to confuse you and tell you this drawbacks and other crap about the rig you have in mind.
Then they show you something completely new and tell you all the advantages but in real sense its total crap.

People here want to help you so their inputs are for your benefits only so never question their judgement over the sellers as they love to scam people.

I was scammed way back when I didnt go with the rig mentioned on the forum and took a gamble and got the seller's.
I know you may say it's so dumb of me but these sellers are sugar-coated and speak so well and con you into buying their bad products.
I was just like you,getting my budget gaming rig.[I still can play all games at medium but I got scammed of atleast 10k.]

So beware.
Gain enough knowledge about your rig and ask questions here.

Also never get anything flashy like blue LEDs etc.You will regret in the longrun.

Cheers !
Thanks for the concern. My saying "last minute upgrade decisions" meant I might pick up a Z77 board instead of a B75 one.

I called up one store. Here's the lowdown - "Why you want GSkill RipjawsX RAM, take Corsair Vengeance, much better." "Vengeance gives issues with some aftermarket coolers, hence." Next sentence - "Why you want Gigabyte, take Intel board it is much much better." "No thank you, I am fine with the Gigabyte".

gunnerwholelife, piper is a married guy, this might be his 4[SUP]th[/SUP] RIG I am dead sure he know what he is getting.
Coming to think of it, this is actually my 4th rig, and the 3rd one I am involved in right from deciding the components.

Lol, I'm taking two friends along (to SP Road) just for fun as we all like going to tech market.

My only concern is - should I ask the shopwalas to place the heatsink+CPU or do it myself? As in, how easy/complicated is the setting of the i2500k heatsink. I'd prefer to do it myself at home as it makes it easier for me to buy the components and travel back home.

Lol, I'm taking two friends along (to SP Road) just for fun as we all like going to tech market.

My only concern is - should I ask the shopwalas to place the heatsink+CPU or do it myself? As in, how easy/complicated is the setting of the i2500k heatsink. I'd prefer to do it myself at home as it makes it easier for me to buy the components and travel back home.

Yeah, every-time I had to assemble a PC for my friends we had a small squad of guys walk into the shop and completely saturate it with questions on the latest and greatest much to the chagrin of the shop-owner. Good days now gone. =|

Anyway on topic, it is not a very complicated thing to assemble a system yourself, in-fact I prefer self-assembly because I know that warranty can be claimed irrespective of the shop I bought it from and I am in no sense bonded to them. Also, the way they put together the 'maal', I fear for my components. I remember when I got my current RIG with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO the shop assembly guy gave up on it and I did it after bringing the system home; It was after three hours that I put together the machine but the feeling of achievement at O-100 hours was worth it.

The stock cooler is easy to place and a 5 minutes job, just follow the provided instructions with the box. Cheerio!

Cool, so tomorrow going to SP Road to buy the following components :

Intel i5 2500k
Gigabyte B75M-D3H
GSkill RipjawsX 2x4GB

Maybe an optical drive, I have an old IDE one but I'm not sure of its workability at present.

Maybe an optical drive, I have an old IDE one but I'm not sure of its workability at present.

^^ You will have to get a new optical drive, IDE is no longer supported by Intel chipset(s) after the Cougar-Point family (H61 / H67 / p67 / Z68) onwards.

Go for an HP OR ASUS (boxed) optical drive, should not be more than ~1100/- (inclusive taxes).

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Bought

i5 2500k
RipjawsX 4GBx2
Asus boxed DVD writer
USB3.0 front expansion slot (Cooler Master)

And the motherboard, the Z77 Extreme 4.

Planning to buy aftermarket cooler after some research, will run at stock speeds for now.

Instead of Z77 Extreme 4 go for Asus P8Z77M-PRO-12k OR Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H-9.5k,Everything else is good.
Bought
i5 2500k
RipjawsX 4GBx2
Asus boxed DVD writer
USB3.0 front expansion slot (Cooler Master)

And the motherboard, the Z77 Extreme 4.

Planning to buy aftermarket cooler after some research, will run at stock speeds for now.

I've already bought the mobo, guys :D . System is working fine. BF3 works like a dream, will hopefully be ranking up regularly now.

Prices :

Mobo - 10200
CPU - 12500
RAM - 3200
DVD Writer - 1050

I'll add a Hyper 212+ or some other viable cooling option maybe in Feb-March next year.

Back