PC Peripherals Upgrading PC, confused bet. processors

pa1pa1

Disciple
Hi guys, I am planning to upgrade my age old 3GHz intel processor.

I need a processor for around 9k, am really confused bet. intel C2D E8400 , Quad Core Q8200 , and the AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz.

As always, AMD promises better performance than intel and a lower price as well, but i dont wanna take any risks. Which motherboards do i go for?

its a Strictly Gaming rig. I'm planning to keep my 450 W cooler master PSU, 8800GT 512 MB,monitor,keyboard mouse ,hard disk, cd drive etc... I just wanna upgrade processor, motherboard and RAM. budget : 20k.

I do wanna be future proof, if possible.

Well that is not the case mate,Intel is better in most of the cases especially gaming at this point of time compared to AMD.

I would suggest you to go with E8400/E8500/Q9400 along with any decent P45 chipset and 2x2Gb ddr2 Ram (Corsair,Gskill)

Q8200 aint that good with 4MB cache thats what i got to know after going through many reviews.May be you can look for Q8400 with higher Clock speed compared to Q8200.

pa1pa1 said:
As always, AMD promises better performance than intel and a lower price as well, but i dont wanna take any risks. Which motherboards do i go for?

Thx for that, how about this config :

Intel E8400 Rs 9000

Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G Rs 4600

G-Skill DDR 2, 2x2GB Rs 3000

Seems right ?

^^ i see you are using the GA EP35-S3G motherboard, i hope its a good decision..? and since i'm gonna use my PC mainly for gaming, (CS TF2 Dota etc.) is it advicable to go for a Quad core?

Get Intel E8400 along with MSI P45C Neo-FIR motherboard(It supports DDR2 as well as DDR3). The motherboard is a great VFM and future proof as well.

Pretty decent config.you get a high end quad which dont cost a bomb.And i did check few reviews for that Biostar mobo in newegg and it has got some nice reviews so you can opt for that one along with 2x2 GB DDR2 ram.

You can also check MSI GX790 G65 Mobo it has a DDR3 ram.

If i am not wrong 940BE cost around 10.8k and 920 around 10k

WingZero said:
x4 94BE 10k

Biostar 790gx 128mb 6k

4gb rams ocz/gskill 4k odd

pa1pa1 said:
Intel E8400 Rs 9000

Seems right ?

gud config.just try to get a P45 based mobo rather than a P35 1.

pa1pa1 said:
Intel E8400 Rs 9000

Seems right ?

You can try EP45-DS3R(a bit costly) or you can try GA-EG43MF-S2H or GA-EG41MF-S2H(cost effective).
Has a good chipset and comes with a HDMI port.

Msi board are pretty thin as far as I have noticed. Seen some boards getting bent after heatsinks being installed properly.

Regular advisors are the one who give good help here. Unfortunatly there is a huge amount of idiots who have coming from "we know where" and spoiling this forum. When you taking an advice, take it from a proper advisor.

But you will have to work with us and make sure you mention the specifics:

# First we need to make sure your existing components are worth salvaging. CM power supply- which one? extreme, extreme plus or what? See try to understand this is a proper tech forum.

Are you going to overclock?

Stick to wingzero's sound advice. Grab G skills 4GBPK pi black 1066mhz cl5 for 4.4k. You also can consider 4GB pi black. Right now in Prime, last time I went there PI black costs 5.4k whereas pi black costs 4.4k but they were getting sold out rather fast. If you google out the benchmarks, 940BE stands out very clearly.

Aniruddh said:
Well that is not the case mate,Intel is better in most of the cases especially gaming at this point of time compared to AMD.

I would suggest you to go with E8400/E8500/Q9400 along with any decent P45 chipset and 2x2Gb ddr2 Ram (Corsair,Gskill)

Q8200 aint that good with 4MB cache thats what i got to know after going through many reviews.May be you can look for Q8400 with higher Clock speed compared to Q8200.

Kindly clear this part !

Also how viable the listed CPUS are atm for the price/performance they come for ..

The Sorcerer said:
Msi board are pretty thin as far as I have noticed. Seen some boards getting bent after heatsinks being installed properly.
Regular advisors are the one who give good help here. Unfortunatly there is a huge amount of idiots who have coming from "we know where" and spoiling this forum. When you taking an advice, take it from a proper advisor.
But you will have to work with us and make sure you mention the specifics:
# First we need to make sure your existing components are worth salvaging. CM power supply- which one? extreme, extreme plus or what? See try to understand this is a proper tech forum.
Are you going to overclock?
Stick to wingzero's sound advice. Grab G skills 4GBPK pi black 1066mhz cl5 for 4.4k. You also can consider 4GB pi black. Right now in Prime, last time I went there PI black costs 5.4k whereas pi black costs 4.4k but they were getting sold out rather fast. If you google out the benchmarks, 940BE stands out very clearly.

Its a CM 500W PCAR-A3(Extreem power +) and i do not intend to overclock CPU.I've learnt the hard way how unreliable transcend,etc RAMs are so no doubt, i'll go for G-skills. It turns out i cant spend as much as i thought, so i'm thinking of going with E8400 with a 45-chipset mobo pref. gigabyte, n g-skills ram.

Just because I recommended g-skills doesnt mean transcend is bad. Just because one gets a defective product/s, doesn't mean everything from that company is bad. My advice about x4 940be still stands. At end of day its your wish.

I think i'll go with E8400. There are too many 45-chipset based motherboards to choose from. My friend had bad experiences with MSI and he tells its bios is not so good. Any truth in it? or should i go for MSI P45C Neo-FIR ?

^^ omg that sounds too good to be true !! can i know where did you get the price frm ? theitwares.com still shows 14k. Plz tell me u dint just convert 230 dollars into rupees.

Back