UPI Scams

There is a reason why I've stayed away from UPI till now. There's nothing wrong in using it, but I just prefer NEFT and IMPS till date and that too through the website and not some app. Thankfully, I have been able to survive till now without having to use UPI, but I know a lot of people prefer to use it including my brother, but one has to stay aware about these new scams that keep popping up.
You are not alone, I my self don't use upi you can laugh if u want to I don't even have debit cards for most of our bank accountS be it company or personal.

Till date haven't activated my UPI though it cannot be done without a debit card I can only receive money but cannot send.

I still prefer RTGS or neft over UPI.

You are not alone, I my self don't use upi you can laugh if u want to I don't even have debit cards for most of our bank accountS be it company or personal.

Till date haven't activated my UPI though it cannot be done without a debit card I can only receive money but cannot send.

I still prefer RTGS or neft over UPI.
Even I use the debit cards at ATMs only. For PoS and online sales, it is always a Credit Card. Have only used a debit card when there is some offer, which is rare.
Just received chargeback for a sale where the whole company/website went rogue. If it had been a debit card, it would have been much more difficult or nearly impossible to get that money back.

Few days back someone called me from phonepe support and asked if i use phonepe on this number. I realized it wasnt a genuine call and disconnected immediately.

Today i got a call from someone pretending to be my relative, i could not recognize him and realized something was fishy. I checked his number on truecaller , it was saved as "phonepe fraud" on truecaller.

How can i keep myself safe from any scams incase something happens without my knowledge, i use phonepe very frequently.
Honestly you cannot. You have your brain to use is when in doubt .. which you did nicely.

Last edited:
A common scam happening now is through impersonation in facebook. Some copy cat profile of a respectable person will somehow get into your profile, add up a few mutual friends. Then one fine day they will message you saying that they are in an emergency situation and in urgent need of money and promise to return the very next day. Many people pay without without asking a question since they are impersonating someone they respect, like a senior colleague, professors etc

Let's agree most people who buy GPUs on OLX and shit sites are kids (mentally mostly and physically too sometimes) and the scammers are targeting such people only.
ebay US/UK had listing for parts only GPUs or even boxes (especially during scarcity at the beginning of the year) which bots or macros fail for. All these listings were tricks with note of no returns. Many sellers tricked miners. So you decide what to call them. In general, all those scavenging for GPU are desperate folks - some have patience to wait till 4000 series launch and some don't want to wait at all

i tried selling some furniture online,got a lot of scam calls saying how they own a furniture store and that to confirm booking they will give 10 rs as advance and then send qr codes to scan.

Never transfer using collect request. Either have a known source WhatsApp you the QR or do live scan at the premise. UPI is so easy to make payments and not swipe plastic/carry cash after NaMo made it a sin.

Never transfer using collect request. Either have a known source WhatsApp you the QR or do live scan at the premise. UPI is so easy to make payments and not swipe plastic/carry cash after NaMo made it a sin.
i know,i never do scan. it was fun to **** with these scammer,told them they were talking to a government office and now they are ****ed. One said sorry :joycat:

I use IMPS/NEFT only since they are fast and secure. I don't trust payment methods through apps, Say I am old fashion but thats something which saved me upto now. Just last week got a call from ICICI bank for CC and I didn't gave them any reply and said I don't need any card, If I want then I know how to get it. She asked for a reason and I gave her a reason "My reason for rejection is not to give any reason" Is that fine with you and stop calling me.

Things thats worries me always is to deal with parents and relatives when they come and force you to pay because they found a great person while talking on phone. 100% not even 99% all those were frauds. Thankfully I haven't given any facility for payments to mom else her account would have been in negative :D

I always prefer UPI due to the convenience and error free nature of it. This allows to verify the receiver name, so that we are safe guarded by wrong account number or name mismatch which is possible in NEFT.

But someone can explain how the scam takes place in collect method in UPI? In my opinion, collect also same security level as send option, because both needs PIN verification.

But someone can explain how the scam takes place in collect method in UPI? In my opinion, collect also same security level as send option, because both needs PIN verification.
People fall victim to social engineering and just overlook and don't read their screens whether it's a debit or credit.

I use IMPS/NEFT only since they are fast and secure. I don't trust payment methods through apps, Say I am old fashion but thats something which saved me upto now. Just last week got a call from ICICI bank for CC and I didn't gave them any reply and said I don't need any card, If I want then I know how to get it. She asked for a reason and I gave her a reason "My reason for rejection is not to give any reason" Is that fine with you and stop calling me.

Things thats worries me always is to deal with parents and relatives when they come and force you to pay because they found a great person while talking on phone. 100% not even 99% all those were frauds. Thankfully I haven't given any facility for payments to mom else her account would have been in negative :D

I just say that i have no job/no income. they never call me back.

I have a secondary debit account which is used for UPI. Never enabled UPI on my primary bank account.

And as a rule I never click on the SMS links during UPI transactions. I open the app notification (Paytm/Gpay) and then pay it out if needed.

People fall victim to social engineering and just overlook and don't read their screens whether it's a debit or credit.
As simple as that :oops:

This is the social equivalent of sleight of hand.

Look here while the other hand grabs the loot.
How can i keep myself safe from any scams incase something happens without my knowledge, i use phonepe very frequently.
The smarter you are the easier it is to fool you especially if they know some of your background info
There is a reason why I've stayed away from UPI till now. There's nothing wrong in using it, but I just prefer NEFT and IMPS till date and that too through the website and not some app. Thankfully, I have been able to survive till now without having to use UPI, but I know a lot of people prefer to use it including my brother, but one has to stay aware about these new scams that keep popping up.
I've been doing that for a while now. This is an improvement from the early 2000s when i refused to do any online transactions.

Took ten years to get comfortable doing it over a PC. Stil not comfortable with paying with a phone. As it turns out my bank is not on Samsung pay so i won't be using the phone for any payments that way either.

Payments through netbanking with merchants i don't know. Otherwise i use my debit card. Not had any problems so far.

Last edited:
Please make a separate thread for that as political discussions go sideways really fast.
I am genuinely interested in the main topic as i too am thinking of using upi and i don't know much about it, thanks.
In OLX while I put my Sparnod STH-1200 for sale , a guy from another part of Hyderabad city responded and called to check whether the Rs.1 he sent to have been received or not while I was telling no Phone pe payments he was saying that he will pay the asked amount which is 15k. I said yes that I got his Rs.1 then again he told me to scan a UPI bar code and wait . While I waited I began receiving messages from phone pe that since sufficient amount was not there the required amounts were not cannot be sent.
Here I need to be paid instead it started asking me to pay. So finally my wifey came into picture and spoke with him and told him that he has to pay why her husbands phone pe has to pay. He threatened with police case and such before my wifey came into the picture. After speaking with my wifey he told her not to call her and told her to delete his number. So I did.

PS: Here my wifey told him to come to our nearby police station to sort out the issues of non payment and who has to pay whom and he silently told her not to call him. This is the kind of UPI Barcode scanning Scam.

Back