UPS for router

well this is a good UPS as well but its a single battery 650VA UPS
So you mean to say it's better to go for ones with dual battery? I don't have good idea on these things. Let me know.

well this is a good UPS as well but its a single battery 650VA UPS , its gonna be fine for the routers but wont give good backup if you are gonna charge laptop with it , ultimately it depends on your usage pattern, power draw of your laptop and the length of the power cut in area , if it is less than an hour , then you should be fine , if they are longer like 2-3 hours at a time then 1KVA is the one for you.

Just invest once in a good UPS. I suggest 1KVA as well.

As my usage is limited to routers, and sometimes laptop for a short time, will stick to 600VA.. 1KVA one costs almost 4-5k, and I will better save that money towards UPS for home instead.
BTW, already have 1KVA UPS for my PC (microtek), it gives very good backup.

So you mean to say it's better to go for ones with dual battery? I don't have good idea on these things. Let me know.
depend upon your usage , how much you gonna charge the laptop and how long are the power breaks, for routers alone 600-650 VA is more than enough
As my usage is limited to routers, and sometimes laptop for a short time, will stick to 600VA.. 1KVA one costs almost 4-5k, and I will better save that money towards UPS for home instead.
for short duration this should be fine
BTW, already have 1KVA UPS for my PC (microtek), it gives very good backup.
umm why do you need a separate UPS then? just use this UPS with router and use your laptop during the power outage

Present UPS is for my personal pc which is in a different room..That's why
what i meant was you could just plug the existing router in your current UPS and then just shut down your PC immediately when power goes and resume working on the laptop , this setup could work now?? as demonstrated earlier routers hardly consume more than 5 watts of continuous power draw.

unless you need to use PC on UPS power for longer duration for some reason , this could work no? i always thought UPS served to provide enough time to shut down the PC safely that was their main purpose :/

what i meant was you could just plug the existing router in your current UPS and then just shut down your PC immediately when power goes and resume working on the laptop , this setup could work now?? as demonstrated earlier routers hardly consume more than 5 watts of continuous power draw.

unless you need to use PC on UPS power for longer duration for some reason , this could work no? i always thought UPS served to provide enough time to shut down the PC safely that was their main purpose :/
By UPS, I meant this. This stays with pc in a different room, hence cannot carry it to the hall everytime where routers stay.

can't you relocate routers , 2 routers should be able to cover entire house no?
That involves wire running through one end of the house to another end which makes look ugly and I have to fix the wire to the wall, means more wall clips, hammering etc...Some things aren't easy in rented houses.

That involves wire running through one end of the house to another end which makes look ugly and I have to fix the wire to the wall, means more wall clips, hammering etc...Some things aren't easy in rented houses.
Hmm I guess buying another UPS is the only way then , see if you can buy a used UPS on the forum I'm sure someone must be having some extra UPS lying around

Shelf/wall fixture because we have kids at home.

Is there anyway I can check whether they shut down or not before buying? Any theoretical methods?

sadly no. the only way to get them to work is to connect a multi plug surge protector to your ups and run the router and couple of other chargers like laptop, mobile etc.
I had such an issue with my ups.

Hmm I guess buying another UPS is the only way then , see if you can buy a used UPS on the forum I'm sure someone must be having some extra UPS lying around
With a good battery ? new is best i think.
Going for a bigger battery capacity or one that is more than your needs is called oversizing.

The bonus that accompanies the higher upfront cost is longer life time of the battery. If it does not discharge as much means you put less cycles on it so the lifetime of the battery is longer. Instead of dying in x years it takes a year or two longer. Could even be twice as long.

These selaed batteries are temperature sensitive and like to live in a 20-30 degrees C environment. Any hotter than that shortens their life. That is where the distilled water filled batteries come in. Now you're dealing with a different kind of UPS.

@nitin_g3 suggested a model that uses lithium batteries. Lithium will charge faster than sealed lead acid. Depending on the battery they use and how good it is there could be more cycles to be had with this model than regular sealed lead acid. Will also be lighter and more compact in size if more expensive for the same duration of backup. Whatever battery gauge it uses is also likely to be more accurate than sealed battereis.

So if you have more power cuts in the day lithium might work better otherwise its 6-8h for a full charge with the regular ones.

Last edited:
Back