UPS with 15amp socket ? ( required for iMac)

Ramadhir Singh

Wasseypur
Adept
Hello,
Is anyone aware of any APC ( or any reputed brand) UPS which comes with big sockets ( 15/16 amp) ?

This is for connecting imac with an UPS.
earlier using directly in power socket, but these days electric fluctuation started, so need an UPS.
Using APC1000 with this https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07NVGRQZL/ - which is getting warm and i'm scared of using it. (
Size of the plug is ideal, but is of worst quality, but that's what we got in local shop here.

Max wattage withdrawn is merely 27 watt at peak. I don't know why the plug is getting warm, even if the machine of turned off.

I don't want to keep any room for risk fire/equipment damage etc.
Any suggestion how shall i go about it ?

Thanks
@rsaeon , any help/suggestion ?

Last edited:
Some power supplies (and now evidently iMacs) come with those large plugs as a safety measure. For the longest time, India didn't have an electrical standards code for construction, so wiring for regular 5amp sockets can vary greatly in quality, I've seen less than 0.5 sq mm at some places. 15A sockets always had thicker gauge wire since they were used with high amperage appliances like grinders or water heaters so these manufacturers use one of those plugs to ensure your building's low-spec wiring (or a cheap chinese power strip's wiring) isn't the reason for a warranty claim.

You can safely use a socket adapter for anything under 1000w (~5a).

Using APC1000 with this https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07NVGRQZL/ - which is getting warm and i'm scared of using it.

Move the UPS to a place where there's plenty of air around it, like on top of your desk and it should be fine. The adapter getting warm is probably from soaking up heat from the UPS, not from the plug or iMac. The electrical contacts inside the adapter could also be arcing, causing it to warm up. Twisting the plug in the socket slightly should fix that. Personally, I would try to find a better quality adapter.

Best and safest option is to strip 16A plug and install 6A plug on the cable.

Don't use the converter from the link. They don't last long.

First time I heard of a consumer PC with a 16A plug

thanks for the link. this is helpful.

Move the UPS to a place where there's plenty of air around it, like on top of your desk and it should be fine. The adapter getting warm is probably from soaking up heat from the UPS, not from the plug or iMac.
guess my wording wasnt correct only the adaptor is getting warm not the UPS/or mac plug.
UPS is placed in open no issue about the.
UPS back panel is cool. after your reply, in-fact inspected it once again, and actually move the adapter 1mm forward to remove any direct surface contact.
Rechecked after few hours.... looks like it is the adapter itself, and only its the thing getting warm one side, the area where it has a red led indicator.

I would try to get a better quality plug, probably GM or anchor. when i get to chance to get into city/market.

What is the power input port on the iMac, you could just use a different cord if its using the regular iec C6 or C14 ports.
you wont believe it was my first thing in mind, before getting that cheap convertor, searched amzn/Fk wasn't able to locate something remotely with my keywords.

Until you posted the port codes, i wasn't aware of that.
Here is the socket in the mac power brick.
which seem like this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320#C5/C6_coupler

But i have no clue where to get them.

null

Last edited:
thanks for the link. this is helpful.

UPS is placed in open no issue about the.
UPS back panel is cool. after your reply, i in-fact inspected it once again, and actually move the adapter 1mm forward to remove any direct surface contact.
Rechecked after 1hr. looks like it is the adapter itself, and only its the thing getting warm one side.
I would try to get a better quality plug, probably GM or anchor. when i get to chance to get into city/market.

you wont believe it was my first thing in mind, before getting that cheap convertor, searched amzn/Fk wasn't able to locate something remotely with my keywords.

Until you posted the port codes, i wasn't aware of that.
Here is the socket in the mac power brick.
which seem like this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320#C5/C6_coupler

But i have no clue where to get them.

View attachment 147103
I have a bunch of these power connectors.. Can ship you over the weekend if you can arrange for pickup..
Alternatively, the iMac is barely any load even at peak .. Just get a 5A to 15A plug converter.. All local hardware shops carry it and cost around 150-250.

Edit: Just realised you already using a converter.. If its not heat from the UPS making the converter warm then it must be a really poor quality converter.
I have been using a 5A->16A plug with my Benq ew3280u for a long time now . It probably draws a higher load than the iMac does

Just get a 5A to 15A plug converter.. All local hardware shops carry it and cost around 150-250.
yes seem to be a bad quality converter from this company "CONA" never heard of them, but seem most of the shop in my area only stock this company's plugs and switches.. pretty bad build quality tbh.

As suggested, i will try to get a better quality one over the weekend. and see if it resolves the issue.

Choose the length you want from 2 - 10m

Does not say what the max current it can carry is though. Can we assume ~1000W ?
It says 18AWG so thats up to 15Amp or so so 3300W
The termination is rated 5A so 1100W
The imac will draw a small fraction of it so you have headroom of almost 2 orders of magnitude :)

It says 18AWG so thats up to 15Amp or so so 3300W
The termination is rated 5A so 1100W
The imac will draw a small fraction of it so you have headroom of almost 2 orders of magnitude :)
If one believes their 18AWG really is that :)

I find it suspect they would use 18AWG for a wire that will not deliver more than 6A

Last edited:
Most of the 5A 3 pin C6 type use a minimum of 0.7sq mm wire (1400watt) to 1 sq mm wire(2200w) for long cables.
Since the manufacturer of these wires don't know which country it will be used by the end user. The wires inside are guaranteed to handle the amp rating in the plug.
The same plug 0.7sq mm wire if used in the US will only handle 700watt.

Its used in laptops, network/poe switches, NUC type PC etc

Most of the 5A 3 pin C6 type use a minimum of 0.7sq mm wire (1400watt) to 1 sq mm wire(2200w) for long cables.
Since the manufacturer of these wires don't know which country it will be used by the end user. The wires inside are guaranteed to handle the amp rating in the plug.
The same plug 0.7sq mm wire if used in the US will only handle 700watt.

Its used in laptops, network/poe switches, NUC type PC etc
I saw that 0.75 sqmm figure somewhere

3m

10 m

Here it's mentioned but in the other one it says 18AWG

Adapter is 143W so that cable is plenty

Which genius at Apple India thought it needed a 16A plug, they should be replacing this themselves i think :grumpy:

Last edited:
guess my wording wasnt correct only the adaptor is getting warm not the UPS/or mac plug.
Your adapter is warm because THERE'S SPARKING GOING ON INSIDE!

Stay the F' away from converters folks. I have said this many times before. Can't stress on this point more.

Striping 16A plug and installing 6A plug is the safest, reliable, easiest solution there is. If one can't do it by themselves then get it done at any electrical shop. Any other solution is just beating around the bush.

Apple is a confirmed stupid on this point. Most Indian homes have very few 16A sockets. Secondly, electricity is unreliable on 16A, because traditionally, there's no inverter/UPS backup given to 16A lines.

Which genius at Apple India thought it needed a 16A plug, they should be replacing this themselves i think :grumpy:
seriously man!!
At peak, imac withdraws max 40-50watt, and in idle state is not even 20 watt.. (as per APC display).
16Amp makes no sense.

In-fact this trend is being copied by other companies such as Lenovo, most of their "gaming" laptop comes with 16A plug.
Hey , thank for your link earlier, searching for "Mickey mouse" shows these cable in amzn.

Stay the F' away from converters folks.
Indeed that connecter was culprit.
Got a new connector from anchor Panasonic @same price of 70/-, much better quality.
Heating issue resolved 100%.

Opened the last CONA connector, - it had a resistance to light up the indicator led.. that was getting hot.
I sensed it right time, in just 10-12days it melted the wire nearby and was melting the plastic shell as well... very soon it would caused an accident.

no inverter/UPS backup given to 16A lines.
yes.. Thinking to get new cable with 5A head, instead of stripping the original cable - as this might cause warranty issue.
For the long run, i'm thinking to get a custom made UPS with 16A plug, but again that might not protect as efficiently as APC.

Last edited:
Back