Urge to buy better monitor [GPU+PSU query]

Hello folks..

Before poking anything listing my current rig..

AMD Phenom 9650 quad core processor
Asus M3N78-EM mobo
Corsair XMS2 3GB DDR2 Ram
Frontech 500W PSU
No dedicated Graphic card.. only onboard Nvidia Geforece 8300 there
Monitor - Intex 17" LCD panel
2xHDD 2x DVD writer (no idea if needed to mention :ashamed:)

The thing is that I am planning to buy a decent IPS panel monitor in next 3-4 months. something in ~15k (dell U2311H kind of)
However since I am noob in case of hardware stuff I am not sure if my current rig is ok for it. My 2 queries for it are -

1. Do I need a better Graphic Card for new monitor.???

will the Geforce 8300 wont be doing the job smoothly and GPU is needed to be purchased.
If Yes, please suggest me a decent graphic card for the current rig. Things I will be doing...

- Generally post processing work (photoshopping)
- Full HD videos playing.
- No gaming probably.. The only game I play is virtua tennis 3 :p
- Budget is 5-6.5K (read as 5k only, jump will be in extreme need only)

2. Do I need a better Power Supply if I buy a new graphic card.??

I certainly doubt on my existing PSU, frontech 500W one, coz it is among the el cheapo one available in market.
So please suggest me a PSU also (if needed). Budget is max 2.5k
PS : I have a cheap iball cabinet. so plz suggest one which can fix in it :eek:hyeah:

Thanxx in Advance :clap:

your 8300 should do the job,anyways if you want to upgrade then go for a Ati HD 4670 or Ati hd 5670.

with regard to the psu,it will always be better,if you have a branded psu,as they have higher efficiency.

so go for corsair cx 400 or gigabyte superb 460w..(in your budget of 2.5k,i'm not sure whether 500 watts psu can be suggested).

Please wait for other more experienced forum members to reply,then decide.

Peace :)

Srirama said:
your 8300 should do the job,anyways if you want to upgrade then go for a Ati HD 4670 or Ati hd 5670.

with regard to the psu,it will always be better,if you have a branded psu,as they have higher efficiency.

so go for corsair cx 400 or gigabyte superb 460w..(in your budget of 2.5k,i'm not sure whether 500 watts psu can be suggested).

Please wait for other more experienced forum members to reply,then decide.

Peace :)
Thanxx for the info buddy...

My Geforce 8300 atleast dont play full HD videos taken from DSLR smoothly (dont know GPU should be blamed or monitor)

The blame is on the IGP for non performance on the HD playback front,

better get a Corsair CX 400W ~ 2K and
entry level ATi HD 5450 or similar Nvidia counter if you have an Nvidia bias ( GT 220 ) ~ 3K - 4.5K this in my view will make the HD movies a breeze also you can play most old games at low settings rest your system should not have any hicupps while post processing work, hope this helps :)

By the way what softwares do you plan to use for your work

ALPHA17 said:
The blame is on the IGP for non performance on the HD playback front,

better get a Corsair CX 400W ~ 2K and

entry level ATi HD 5450 or similar Nvidia counter if you have an Nvidia bias ( GT 220 ) ~ 3K - 4.5K this in my view will make the HD movies a breeze also you can play most old games at low settings rest your system should not have any hicupps while post processing work, hope this helps :)

By the way what softwares do you plan to use for your work
Thanxx for the help buddy :)

One query is that will these 4-5k GPU will be doing well with new monitor (say dell U2311H) ???

also, I need a GPU through which I can utilize the GPU acceleration feature provided in CS5..

BTW, are u asking the softy for post processing.. If yes, well since I post process photos, generally use Photoshop CS5 and ACR + Bridge..

Photomatix sometimes when needed..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

additionally, what is the funda of DDR2, DDR3, DDR5 etc in graphic cards... how to find which one will be working with my mobo???

ashvarybabul said:
what is the funda of DDR2, DDR3, DDR5 etc in graphic cards... how to find which one will be working with my mobo???

The DDR3/DDR5 on the graphic card signifies what ram you have on the card... It doesn't have anything to do with the motherboard.

XTechManiac said:
The DDR3/DDR5 on the graphic card signifies what ram you have on the card... It doesn't have anything to do with the motherboard.
Okies... thanxx for clearing it..
so it means 1GB DDR5 is better than 1GB DDR3 :huh:

also how to find in a XYZ PSU (400-500W ones) will fit on my cabinet :p

You don't worry your cabinet even if it is an el cheapo piece it will support a standard ATX PSU like the CX 400 by Corsair ~ 2.7K ( latest price as far as I know )
For your graphic card I recommend you get the Nvidia GT 240 1 GB DDR5 ~ 5K supports the CUDA enabled acceleration you have specified :) , yeah the GDDR 5 VRAM is more power efficient than GDDR 3 and has better latency, hope this answers your query :)

ALPHA17 said:
You don't worry your cabinet even if it is an el cheapo piece it will support a standard ATX PSU like the CX 400 by Corsair ~ 2.7K ( latest price as far as I know )
For your graphic card I recommend you get the Nvidia GT 240 1 GB DDR5 ~ 5K supports the CUDA enabled acceleration you have specified :) , yeah the GDDR 5 VRAM is more power efficient than GDDR 3 and has better latency, hope this answers your query :)
Thanxx for the reply.. points noted...

Another query for GPU.. :ashamed:

which brand to prefer among many like MSI, zotac, biostar, xfx, asus etc etc... :huh:

Yup, that because GT240 is based on the older G80 platform, though it will suffice your need but I'd suggest taking the Radeon 5670 instead. Almost the same price point, is GDDR5 and has somewhat better performance, supports DX 11, and has support for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio audio formats...

Just buy the monitor first, and if you're not satisfied with your systems performance after getting it, then think of an upgrade.
Even if your gpu doesn't support video decoding, your cpu's powerful enough to handle HD videos.

By the time you buy your monitor, after 3-4 months, there'll be a ton of new gpus on the market, so asking for suggestions now doesn't make much sense.

However, I would suggest upgrading your psu even if you don't buy a gpu.

ashvarybabul said:
Guyz, one thing I am worried about is that my old LCD monitor only has VGA port... so can I use it with these graphic card???

You'll need a DVI To VGA converter. Should cost you around Rs.75 .

iamddevil said:
Just buy the monitor first, and if you're not satisfied with your systems performance after getting it, then think of an upgrade.

Even if your gpu doesn't support video decoding, your cpu's powerful enough to handle HD videos.

By the time you buy your monitor, after 3-4 months, there'll be a ton of new gpus on the market, so asking for suggestions now doesn't make much sense.

However, I would suggest upgrading your psu even if you don't buy a gpu.
Buddy, I feel like I do need to get a GPU.. at present even 720p doesnt plays smoothly.. 1080p is nightmare...

XTechManiac said:
You'll need a DVI To VGA converter. Should cost you around Rs.75 .
Thanxx for the info buddy.. relaxed that the solution exist.. :)

I had the exact same mobo and it was capable of totally flawless HD playback (mkv and h264) on a 42" Philips Full HD LCD display.

Must be the scaling in your monitor that is causing the jerkiness.

I'm actually willing to barter a M3A-78EM for your motherboard, if you're interested. The 8300 was excellent for mating to LCD TVs because it correctly detects the 59.868 HZ refresh rate of the Philips LCD I had. ATI cards are incapable of detecting it and run the display at 60Hz, causing the picture to freeze every minute for a few seconds.

cranky said:
I had the exact same mobo and it was capable of totally flawless HD playback (mkv and h264) on a 42" Philips Full HD LCD display.

Must be the scaling in your monitor that is causing the jerkiness.

I'm actually willing to barter a M3A-78EM for your motherboard, if you're interested. The 8300 was excellent for mating to LCD TVs because it correctly detects the 59.868 HZ refresh rate of the Philips LCD I had. ATI cards are incapable of detecting it and run the display at 60Hz, causing the picture to freeze every minute for a few seconds.

Well, its good to find that my mobo and IGP is not crap..

well I dont have geeky knowledge about scaling in monitor, but its resolution is 1440x900 so I at least is should not give problem for 1280x720 videos...

unfortunately it is giving...
Aces170 said:
Ash: Your system should be able to play HD videos without issues.

Make sure you have tried all the steps:

1. Install the latest IGP drivers

2. Install Core AVC codec

3. Use Windows Media player classic[/URL]
1. Install the latest IGP drivers Done

2. Install Core AVC codec Done

3. Use Windows Media player classic Done... even fixed the directx update which WMPC was asking for

Result : The MPC in not even playing the 720p videos.. :( No idea why...

VLC (which I earlier used) is still hiccuping in 720p

I just downloaded a 720p vid from net.. it played bit decently... better than one I had..
Here is a small description and specs vid, in comparison.. left is downloaded one, right is one straight from 550D DSLR

capturembg.jpg

Back