Urgent:Career Advice: Engineering or VFX

Shows how educated you people are.

SSCBS stands for Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies. It is a Govt college, comes under the Delhi University was established in 1987. It is known for two courses

Bachelor of Business Studies (BBS)

and BFIA

It is India's No.1 BBS/BBA course, and No.2 in Asia. You need to read newspapers and magazines for that.

The avg package 2009 (year of recession) has been 5+ lacs which is comparable to engg colleges like DCE, BITS Pilani etc, of course way better than Manipal, VIT and stuff.

The admission happens through a competitive examination (aptitude plus gk) followed by a personal interview + group discussion round. Around 15000 students apply each year and only about 100-150 or so are selected, perhaps even less from the general background.

Placement Report 2009-10

Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business studies, rated as best B-school of India | Stock Watch

Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

and just for your info, the annual tuition fees for this college is less than 15k being a DU college

CBS Admissions 2007-08

want to say the same thing. Please guys!

hiviky2212 said:
hahahhahahahha i hope somebody still remember the main reason for which this thread was created :)

MR .Rite - dil pe mat lo yaar :p

Talking about not having heard about my college?

1. How many law schools have you heard? I have only heard of something by the name of NLSUI which is the best in India. Do you know that? Do you know No.2 and No.3?

2. How many BBA/BBS colleges have you heard of (not university, but the college), which are Govt owned or make it to the Top 3 in India? SSCBS is of course No.1. What about the rest?

3. How many top architecture colleges have you heard of except SPA? No private crap please!

4. And just for your info, my AIEEE was 10666 and my manipal rank around 1400. I was getting IIIT A Computers. I was also getting Top 5-7 NITs with at least a mid level course like mech.

sunny27 said:
Excellent ! another thread heading in the RITE direction!!!
haha nice one man :D ...

@ OP : i agree with others dude .. do vfx if you love it .. hell even I love vfx but im doing engg ... and im in second year right now .. and trust me Im not loving it cos half of my subjects are of other fields and not mine . Im doing Information Technology engg .. and half of my subjects are from pure electronics .. ( all hail mumbai university :mad: ) I also wanted to go into vfx ... but i didnt do that .. I felt scared what if i couldnt do it and not get a good job ... but you go ahead ... if u work hard well ofcourse u will be successful in any field :> ..

rite said:
Talking about not having heard about my college?

1. How many law schools have you heard? I have only heard of something by the name of NLSUI which is the best in India. Do you know that? Do you know No.2 and No.3?

2. How many BBA/BBS colleges have you heard of (not university, but the college), which are Govt owned or make it to the Top 3 in India? SSCBS is of course No.1. What about the rest?

3. How many top architecture colleges have you heard of except SPA? No private crap please!

4. And just for your info, my AIEEE was 10666 and my manipal rank around 1400. I was getting IIIT A Computers. I was also getting Top 5-7 NITs with at least a mid level course like mech.
We don't care about the 2nd or 3rd ......THIS......IS........TE!!!!

Also abt ur rank in AIEEEE -- u said u were the best and etc--family crest/coat of arms says that ur the best - on that basis you are a failure for not getting AIR 1!! Rip out your shoulder patch and replace it with something else that is not a disgrace to your family crest!

I havent heard of your college and i daresay most of us haven't as well. Why is your college named Shahid Sukhdev college? Shahid Bhagat Singh got taken by some other Top, No.1 college? Atleast you are lucky to have secured admission in Shahid Sukhdev college , if it were Shahid Rajguru college people would've laughed like nothing before!

FINALLY -- Chill RITE maachan!

Very Very Sorry for the OT but couldn't resist myself - What is the difference between the emphasis of curriculum b/w Electrical and Computer Engg? What are the similarities in curriculum of Electrical, Computer and Aerospace Engg?

blufox said:
You Sir are a Moron.
).Life is lot more than just money.

I am sure there are gazillion people out there who took an average path but did what they love doing.

DUDE .... blufox ... u said the rite thing...... even i have faced ups and downs in my life... and words like these give u courage to go about ur life the way YOU want !!!! respect for that, and regarding pranaywhiz ,i would have given the same advice as sathyanaidu gave u !!!!
all the best 4 ur future.....

@Everyone - rite is a known troll here and I can't believe you messed up the OP's thread because of him. :no:

@OP - An engineering degree might actually help you for a career in animation. Why not complete your degree and try to specialize during Masters?

Engg can be a really boring thing if you have no interest in it.Many people go for it because they have nothing else to do after +2 and its easier to get a job compared to BA,Bsc etc.As many here suggested do what you love,because you will be doing it for your entire life.just make sure you have the necessary skills.

@OP - An engineering degree might actually help you for a career in animation. Why not complete your degree and try to specialize during Masters?[/QUOTE]
Exactly what I said.

There may be times when animation guys may be in low/almost no demand, example during a future recession. But a engg back keeps you relatively solid.

It is all relative.

A good BA is also good. A useless engg won't help.

But for you

Manipal BE + Canada Animation Masters is your safest bet.

Also, at one point of time I wanted to do a bachelors in animation, that too from India. However, my interest changed and now I don't want to do anything tech related as a degree.

So try to have a safer degree like BE(decent cllg)/BA(top college only) rather than something which you may not want to do later or your opinion may change.

just to get thread back,

vfx is a hard , very very hard , you really wont need a degree to get big in it , heck you can be self taught , what matters is how good you are and how artistic you can be

Ya, but you can do all that post engg to. All you need to is wait for 2-3 years and you have a much more secure future.

It may be very hard today, tomorrow technology and competition may make it a really easy task. Web developers used to be really rich in the 90s, today anybody can be a web developer, because of the increase in knowledge, although it wasn't that difficult ever. But tools like DW and FP made a big difference, and so on.

If you hate engg and are sure that you will always love VFX and are willing to take serious risks, drop out of engg!

@rite
I have no problem with you creating threads on jeans or dividing income into different classes as long as you keep it to your threads.
You've basically gone on a tangent since the very first post and misguiding someone. OP's point was he can't bare engineering and loves animation. All you've done is tell him that you think his college sucks and he should do some degree (you suggested honors in economics for crying out loud!) he has no interest in, in what you think is a very good college.
Then you go on and hijack the thread and make it into a self gloating procession.
Why would you want to justify that your college is indeed no 2 or no 1? What kind of twisted pleasure you gain by gloating to some internet forum where no one cares who or what you really are?
Just make one thread saying all you want about your background and pm every user about it and get done with it.
Apologies for going off-topic. Best of luck with whatever you choose OP.

I didn't know that he didn't want to change his college.

But if he is already doing it, he is better off doing it unless he absolutely hates it.

And CBS is India's No.1 Undergrad management college (there isn't any other college to compete with it at this level). Acc to some mag and even newspaper it has consistently been Asia's Top 3 colleges, mostly being the No.2, the first being NUS (Singapore) in that case.

And again, there are few under grad colleges for management, so No.2 becomes easy target for CBS. And given its relatively above avg entrance exam and placements, it is a no-brainer.

Anyway, if you are hell bent on doing VFX, take a loan and go to Canada! You will get a much better future that way!

There is no doubt that you should do what you love, but the problem is you get to know if u really like something or not only after experiencing it. Atleast, thats the case with me. Think real hard before taking a decision.

The thing is:

You like VFX today. You may or may not like it a few months/years down the line. If you opt for a VFX degree, you may end up doing something you dislike for the rest of your life. If however you do engg or some other basic degree which is just acceptable, your sad days are numbered and after 3-4 years you can do whatever you want for the rest of your life.

you can go into management, or VFX, or engg, or masters, or finance, whatever, engg keeps those options open!

rite said:
If you don't aspire to earn over a lac or so a month, you can follow any avg path and reach that stage. Of course a graduation and then hard work.

But for many people that isn't enough.

It is like 50k per month if a very good income for a driver's son. However, even 10 times the family income isn't enough for a rich businessman's son. So everything is relative.

To put things into perspective for you, not everyone's aspirations are limited to something as trivial as earning a shit load of money. You don't actually need an education to be able to do that and I know of a lot of people who without even an education manage to earn a lot more money than any MBA from a top business school. I fully understand if your own upbringing has misled you to believe and define success, happiness and satisfaction as how much money you earn and limited your aspirations to simply earning enough money to impress your rich parents, but most other people aspire for a lot more than just money. Remember, you don't live to earn money, you earn money to live and to me living is doing what you love to do. Money is the means, not the end. After all, if you are stuck in the mid of an endless desert and you would quickly realize that a glass of cold water is much more satisfying than all the money in the world.

Back