Urgent help on number crunching work station rig

I need help in buying/building a new PC. My budget and requirements are as follows:
Budget: Rs 1,30,000/-
Existing hardware setup: NONE
Components from the existing setup that you intend to keep: mouse/kbd
Components that you have in mind for your new PC:
ALREADY DECIDED PARTS:
INTEL I7-3930K LGA 2011 PROCESSOR
ASUS X79 SABERTOOTH LGA2011
16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (PC3 12800) Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL
2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s INT HDD : WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN SERIES SATA 6GB/s

CANNOT DECIDE WITHOUT YOUR VALUABLE SUGGESTIONS:

• 2.5"- 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive INT SSD : PLEASE ADVISE
  • GPU : PLEASE ADVISE (PROFESSIONAL FIREPRO/QUADRO CARDS NOT REQUIRED)
  • Processor Cooling System: PLEASE ADVISE
  • PSU 650/ 660 W: PLEASE ADVISE
  • CABINET : PLEASE ADVISE
  • 24” LED supporting at least 1920×1080 pixels MONITOR: PLEASE ADVISE

Plans to upgrade in the future: NOT IN THE NEAR FUTURE
Places from where you will buy components along with your location: KOLKATA
Are you comfortable with buying secondhand components from the Erodov market? : NA
Intended use of the PC [gaming/office use/rendering/HD playback etc] : PC WILL BE STRICTLY FOR ENGINEERING SIMULATION, NUMBER CRUNCHING, DATA ANALYSIS,OPTIMIZATION ROUTINES AND NEURAL NETWORK MODELLING. NO GAMING AND NO OVERCLOCKING AT ALL .
Brand preferences: NONE
Monitor resolution and size: GIVEN ABOVE
Will you be overclocking your setup?: STRICTLY NO
Which OS will you use?: 64 BIT

GPU-Nvidia GTX560ti-14k OR GTX570-22k
Cooler-Noctua NH-U12P SE2-3.9k
PSU-Corsair TX650V2-5.3k OR Seasonic X560W-6k
Case-Corsair Carbide 400R-5k
Monitor-Dell U2410-27k[H-IPS technology better than E-IPS and with HDMI and all other ports included] OR DELL U2412HM-20k[E-IPS technology way better than TN panels]
SSD-OCZ Vertex 3 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD-13k
Hope this helps.:)

ALREADY DECIDED PARTS:

INTEL I7-3930K LGA 2011 PROCESSOR
ASUS X79 SABERTOOTH LGA2011
16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (PC3 12800) Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL
2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s INT HDD : WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN SERIES SATA 6GB/s

CANNOT DECIDE WITHOUT YOUR VALUABLE SUGGESTIONS:
  • 2.5"- 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive INT SSD : PLEASE ADVISE
  • Processor Cooling System: PLEASE ADVISE
  • PSU 650/ 660 W: PLEASE ADVISE
  • CABINET : PLEASE ADVISE
  • 24” LED supporting at least 1920 x1080 pixels MONITOR: PLEASE ADVISE

Are you comfortable with buying secondhand components from the Erodov market? : NA

Okay a few suggestion for the parts that you have already decided on --

If you are not going to over-clock then why do you need a -k marked processor, go for this instead --
Intel Core i7 3820
instead of a Sabertooth motherboard can you get a cheaper X79 based motherboard as you are not over-clocking.
Instead of the Western Digital Green Edition 2TB drive, go for the Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB ~7500/-, they are --
  • more reliable.
  • use fewer data access heads and platters, so lesser noise and power usage.
  • have 64MB cache memory and run at 7200 RPM so are more akin to performance drives.
  • For the respective data sheets of the companies, head here, then there.

Apart from this, in your parts that you have yet to finalize --

1. Go for Intel 520 series hard-drive OR Crucial M4 128GB. Both will be hard to source from within India [Intel might be available but no bead on Crucial], source from Amazon OR Newegg. Intel respects International warranty and you can RMA any peripheral / component bought in the US in India as well, this is not the case with Crucial.
  2. Go for the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 ~3900/-.
  3. Corsair HX 650W ~6500/- OR Cooler Master Silent Pro M600W ~6000/-.
  4. Corsair Carbide 400R ~5000/- OR NZXT Tempest EVO ~5500/-.
  5. BenQ E2420HD ~12500/- OR Dell Ultrasharp U2312M ~14500/-.
  6. For graphics adapter, go for the AMD HD 7750 ~6500/- OR nVidia GTS 450 ~6000/-.

Hope this helps. Cheerio!!

P.S. -- you are very lazy Sire, noticed you used the Erodov template here as well.

If op is gonna do good rendering on the machine it's better to go GTX 560Ti way,Also Seasonic X560 is good enough to handle it and why not go for IPS 24" Panel if it's in the budget.
Okay a few suggestion for the parts that you have already decided on --

If you are not going to over-clock then why do you need a -k marked processor, go for this instead --
Intel Core i7 3820
instead of a Sabertooth motherboard can you get a cheaper X79 based motherboard as you are not over-clocking.
Instead of the Western Digital Green Edition 2TB drive, go for the Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB ~7500/-, they are --
  • more reliable.
  • use fewer data access heads and platters, so lesser noise and power usage.
  • have 64MB cache memory and run at 7200 RPM so are more akin to performance drives.
  • For the respective data sheets of the companies, head here, then there.

Apart from this, in your parts that you have yet to finalize --

1. Go for Intel 520 series hard-drive OR Crucial M4 128GB. Both will be hard to source from within India [Intel might be available but no bead on Crucial], source from Amazon OR Newegg. Intel respects International warranty and you can RMA any peripheral / component bought in the US in India as well, this is not the case with Crucial.
  2. Go for the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 ~3900/-.
  3. Corsair HX 650W ~6500/- OR Cooler Master Silent Pro M600W ~6000/-.
  4. Corsair Carbide 400R ~5000/- OR NZXT Tempest EVO ~5500/-.
  5. BenQ E2420HD ~12500/- OR Dell Ultrasharp U2312M ~14500/-.
  6. For graphics adapter, go for the AMD HD 7750 ~6500/- OR nVidia GTS 450 ~6000/-.

Hope this helps. Cheerio!!

P.S. -- you are very lazy Sire, noticed you used the Erodov template here as well.

If op is gonna do good rendering on the machine it's better to go GTX 560Ti way,Also Seasonic X560 is good enough to handle it and why not go for IPS 24" Panel if it's in the budget.

He has not stated any RENDERING​ per-se in his requirements, I think OP will clarify the same.

Apart from that I do not know why anyone is going for a 24" screen for a number-crunching RIG, a basic 20" will also be more than enough, but again let us see to that @iamrahulfromnita can answer these questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys im ashamed i could not participate in the debate , i lost my mouse , keyboard and my good old toshiba laptop yesterday due to heay rain water soaking...left the windows open here at Agartala...must have been gale 5 ....ok to jump in it here it is...i have been religiously following the topic...here are a few of my declarations which i overlooked at the beginning:

im an assistant professor of Mech. engg. dept....(NOT THAT IT MATTERS HERE!!@@)
im perusing my PhD on optimizing engine combustion using neural network and genetic optimization
lots and lots of engine data to analyze( excel, matlab,avkl boost..(CAE pogram)
modelling on genetic modellers like gene xpro and GMDH shell
optimization of engine parameters on modefriontier ( seeks multithreads during runs...so more the threads better in this case)
data graphing and visualization
NO RENDERING
NO SOLIDWORKS,CATIA,OR PRO-E WORK.

IM EXTREMELY GRATEFUL TO ALL OF YOU FOR UR VALUABLE OBSERVATIONS AND PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING AND HELP ME OUT.

fixed: 3930k--other than that please do not hesitate to advise on everything else...wont be needing high powered/ ability GPU.

THANK YOU ALL ONCE AGAIN

i lost my mouse , keyboard and my good old toshiba laptop yesterday due to heay rain water soaking...left the windows open here at Agartala.

fixed: 3930k--other than that please do not hesitate to advise on everything else...wont be needing high powered/ ability GPU.

Oh!!! That is a very sad development, I hope you can recover the data on the laptops hard-drive, Sire.

As I already told you as you are not over-clocking, it makes no sense to go for the following components --
Intel Core i7 3930k, a better deal will be a Core i7 3820 ~18500/-.
Apart from that I think you can go ahead with the ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard, because the overall build quality is much better than most motherboards in its price band.
Go for a minimum of G.Skill RIPJAWS / Corsair Vengeance 4GB x4 modules ~6500/-, because the X79 motherboard and in conjunction the Intel Sandy-Bridge E chips support quad-channel memory.
Corsair Force GT 120GB ~9500/- SSD as a primary drive.
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB ~7500/- as a secondary / storage drive, it has a slower RPM than standard and due to several proprietary technologies performs quietly and consuming lesser power.
AMD HD 6670 ~5500/- [a basic display adapter to power your displays, you can plug upto 3 monitors to this graphics card]
NZXT Tempest EVO ~5500/- OR Corsair Carbide 400R ~5000/-, for reviews on these cabinets --> Corsair Carbide 400R Review | techPowerUp / Corsair Carbide Series 400R Review - Overclockers Club / NZXT Tempest EVO Review | techPowerUp / NZXT TEMPEST EVO Computer Case Review - Overclockers Club.
Seasonic X560W ~6500/- [an 80+ Gold efficiency rated, fully modular SMPS]
Dell ST2220L ~8500/- [a standard 22" monitor will be more than enough for your usage]
APC BR1.1KVA-IN ~4600/-

For cooling the CPU, get this cooler --
Noctua-NH-U12P SE2 ~3900/-, for reviews on the same --> Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Cooler Review - The Noctua NH-U12P SE2 - Legit Reviews / Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Cooler | Overclockers Online.

Any other suggestions required, any lingering doubts. Feel free to post, Cheerio!!

Back