PC Peripherals Urgent ! How is this DVD writer ?

Its the upgrade of what I have... (3500A) If the performance is anything like what this thing is, its a great buy. Excellent write quality even on crappy media :). Phew! I got mine some 8-9 months back for 70$ :(

Sorry for threadjacking/crapping but another thread seemed useless.

Anyhoo I was thinking about buying the Sony DRU-800A. The only question in my mind is, as it is a rebadged lite-ON 1693s why are the reviews of the two different at cdrinfo.com, and why are their seperate reviews in the first place. Does Sony add more than stickers to the Lite-ONs ?

BTW I can't buy BENQs as the dealers get all glassy eyed about it in my town. Reminds me of the "AMDs are devilishly hot" days.

Fakepunk said:
The only question in my mind is, as it is a rebadged lite-ON 1693s why are the reviews of the two different at cdrinfo.com, and why are their seperate reviews in the first place.

First of all, if u look carefully, that's 2 questions :p

Sony DRU800 is a LiteON drive only in the fact that it is manufactured by LiteON. OK.. that was obvious wasnt it :p.. the thing is, u'll nowhere see the LiteON name on the drive. Sony gets this drive manufactured by LiteON and sells it as its own. thats about it. Hence even though the 2 drives are essentially the same, U still get it as 2 drives of 2 different makes in the market and hence the 2 reviews. But since it is manufactured by LiteON, the firmware upgrades released for LiteON will also work on this drive.

apollyon said:
wait for techhead to reply but i think the 3520 n 3540 r not as good as the 3500ag...get the benq or lg na?

Hierarchy -> 3500>3540>3520

Get the Benq or LG, as apo said. Better choices, even the Pio 109 is good.

Well I am looking for a DVD-RW too, but before I buy, I want to know if 32x writers are going to be in the market soon. Please let me know...

Well Nikhil, my combo drive writes at 52x it just depends on the media.

The question I am asking is will there be 32x DVD-RW drives in the future ?

A DVD read speed standard should always precede a DVD write speed - 52X CD-writers never came out before 52X CD-ROM drives. ;)

Going by the same rule - since no DVD 32X ROM drives are available, it will be quite a while before you see 32X DVD writers.

Hmm, fine I understand, but I dont want to get a 16x writer as when I bought a 24x CD-RW just two weeks later 32x was launched. I will hold off till then ! Thanks for the update Eddy !

anishcool said:
Hmm, fine I understand, but I dont want to get a 16x writer as when I bought a 24x CD-RW just two weeks later 32x was launched. I will hold off till then ! Thanks for the update Eddy !
32x writers will never come. 16x is the physical limit of DVDs since they can rotate at max around 10k rpm which they are already doing now. Any higher and the disc will break due to physical stress. Its something like that. Not 100% sure of the RPM figure though... You'll never see 32x readers or writers for sure so NOW is a good time to buy a dvd writer.

^^^ very true...

even with 16X DVD Writers, none of them achive the theoretical time for 16X, i.e., 5.30 mins...most take around 7mins to burn a DVD at 16X.....

Back