PC Peripherals Urgent ! How is this DVD writer ?

ohh....i had read a review of some DVD writers..they did a 16X in 7 mins...but that was more than 2 months ago :p maybe the products ahev improved :D

Well, for optical drives reliability(Write and Read) is more important then speeds. at least for me.

Higher the speeds , more the jitter, and more chances of data getting corrupt.

I mean when you are backing up or copying important files, The reliability of the data is more important than the few extra seconds ...??

I always use 24x or 32x speed to burn CDR's and 8x for DVD's.

I dunno why, but somehow i "feel" the data will be more "reliably" recorded at these reduced speeds.

on the other hand if you are copying / pirating movie files than a few missed / corrupt bits will not make of a difference since the decoder software's error correction algorithm will take care of it.

Chaos said:
32x writers will never come. 16x is the physical limit of DVDs since they can rotate at max around 10k rpm which they are already doing now. *Any higher and the disc will break due to physical stress. Its something like that. Not 100% sure of the RPM figure though... *You'll never see 32x readers or writers for sure so NOW is a good time to buy a dvd writer.
* Very true.

speed would not increase, but storage capacity will increase drastically with the imminent use of shorter wavelenght laser technology (blue /violet).

deejay said:
Well, for optical drives reliability(Write and Read) is more important then speeds. at least for me.

I mean when you are backing up or copying important files, The reliability of the data is more important than the few extra seconds ...??

I dunno why, but somehow i "feel" the data will be more "reliably" recorded at these reduced speeds.

on the other hand if you are copying / pirating movie files than a few missed / corrupt bits will not make of a difference since the decoder software's error correction algorithm will take care of it.
Hehe deejay ur not alone on that one :). I do the same as well... 32x is the max i write CDs at and 8x for DVDs. I value write quality more than saving a couple of minutes while burning. Generally the chance of having PI/PIF errors is a lot lower at lower write speeds. So I guess in a way we're justified in staying at 8x ;)

Ok Chaos thanks for clarifying. Should I get a writer now or hold out for some more time, cause prices are going to drop and will DVD-RW speeds increase ? Please advise as I need a DVD-Writer but not sure when to buy it...

deejay said:

Depends on the media ;) Verbatim's 16X -R discs, MID MCC03RG20 show significantly*higher* jitter levels at 8X than 16X..

Back