CPU/Mobo Urgently need help. NCR

ankur1211

Disciple
Hey people, I recently upgraded to these -

CPU - i5 12700kf
Mobo - MSI B660-A Pro
Ram - Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz C16

After googling for hours I realized the reason my build is loop cycling without letting me enter into bios because of out of the box compatibility issues. (Basically requiring Bios update).

So, In Noida/Delhi, I would need someone's help in terms of helping me update the BIOS for my Motherboard, probably using an already compatible LGA1700 Processor.

We can definitely sort out the how part accordingly, if first someone is kind enough to help me sail through this!

what? b660 should be automatically compatible with all 12th gen processors.. that chipset is literally made for 12th gen.

1) try only with 1 ram stick installed.
2) try locating the cmos pins on motherboard and short them using a screwdriver.. it will reset your bios to factory and it should work. if you cant find the cmos pins try taking the motherboard battery.. press the power button a couple of time with the system switched off and then put it back and try again.
3) all latest mobo's have bios flashback.. there should be a usb port on the mobo which handles it.. refer to your motherboards tech specs.. u dont need a processor to upgrade bios nowadays.

all latest mobo's have bios flashback.. there should be a usb port on the mobo which handles it..

IIRC, none of MSI's B660 boards feature such a dedicated "Flash BIOS Button" aka blind USB flashing function.

Nevertheless, the i7-12700KF can be booted by any B660 motherboard out of the box, as mentioned by you, so the actual issue is indeed different.

what? b660 should be automatically compatible with all 12th gen processors.. that chipset is literally made for 12th gen.

1) try only with 1 ram stick installed.
2) try locating the cmos pins on motherboard and short them using a screwdriver.. it will reset your bios to factory and it should work. if you cant find the cmos pins try taking the motherboard battery.. press the power button a couple of time with the system switched off and then put it back and try again.
3) all latest mobo's have bios flashback.. there should be a usb port on the mobo which handles it.. refer to your motherboards tech specs.. u dont need a processor to upgrade bios nowadays.
Already tried 1 ram stick, Clean POST, and CMOS reset before going to the internet.

No, B660 does not have a Flash BIOS button.

The reason I am suggesting an update after booting it up with a compatible CPU is because of a detailed reddit article on the exact same topic, that discussed something about CPU steppings and MOBO manufacturers providing support for some "C" and "H" steppings after BIOS updates. So, chances of either CPU or RAM not being supported without a BIOS update are pretty significant.

I have literally tried every other troubleshoot, including re-doing all the connections, using just a single 8-pin EPS and back to 8-pin and 4-pin combo.

I also checked for CPU cooler being too tight and did the entire thing again, took a deep look at CPU socket for any bent pins (which cannot be the case because of a brand new packed MOBO and me being extra careful after my previous MOBO dying due to bent pins.
IIRC, none of MSI's B660 boards feature such a dedicated "Flash BIOS Button" aka blind USB flashing function.

Nevertheless, the i7-12700KF can be booted by any B660 motherboard out of the box, as mentioned by you, so the actual issue is indeed different.
I am not sure about just one thing and that is compatibility of this RAM with this CPU-MOBO combination. However, when I check compatibility on PC part picker or Build my pc, there pops up no issue.

But, maybe a BIOS update is required or something?

Also, if someone can point me towards any store or something where people are decently skilled enough to be able to put in an older LGA1700 CPU and update the BIOS?

This doesn't look like a BIOS issue to me. 12700KF is supported since BIOS version 7D59vA0 and that my friend is the very first BIOS release for this board.
If CPU is incompatible the message is displayed on the screen in some mobos and in other the CPU debug LED is lit continuously.
In a rare case your CPU could be faulty too.

CPU Compatibility list:
BIOS:

You should ask for a refund or help from the retailer you bought it since it's new.

This doesn't look like a BIOS issue to me. 12700KF is supported since BIOS version 7D59vA0 and that my friend is the very first BIOS release for this board.
If CPU is incompatible the message is displayed on the screen in some mobos and in other the CPU debug LED is lit continuously.
In a rare case your CPU could be faulty too.

CPU Compatibility list:
BIOS:

You should ask for a refund or help from the retailer you bought it since it's new.
I see, so this sounds like a faulty board, am I reading it right?

If you bought it from a physical shop, take it there and they will help diagnose the issue. Might even provide you with a replacement, or call in a favour for speedy replacement from the respective service centre.

If you bought it from a physical shop, take it there and they will help diagnose the issue. Might even provide you with a replacement, or call in a favour for speedy replacement from the respective service centre.
Unfortunately, MOBO from "PC STudio" and CPU from "Best Computers Dehradun"

Hence, probably need to find a decent enough store in Noida that can help with the testing part.

What is the status of the "EZ Debug LED" when it tries to boot?
1691040530459.png

Hey everyone for your responses, thanks a ton!

So, the issue stands resolved now, it indeed was a RAM problem. Here is what all happened :

1. I tried the usual RAM troubleshoot, taking one stick out and using just one DIMM in the recommended slot, then switching slots, trying another stick - No success
2. Ended up opening up the backpanel and going back to re-doing all the power connections into PSU. I don't know the logic, but watched something about 12V rails and stuff like that, so shuffled some positions of the EPS, VGA connectors etc. etc.
3. Closed it all, did CMOS Reset again, tried with just 1 RAM stick and it started working. Switched to another RAM and again worked. Combined both RAMs and back to Red DRAM EZ Debug led issue.

Despite putting in exact same sticks with same CAS, same timings, everything same except the Version from Corsair's end, could not get the PC to boot and work.

So, back to have it working with just 1 stick, now returning the freshly bought stick to Amazon, planning to sell off another stick in the marketplace, and get a new 16GB X 2 kit.

As they say, never match 2 sticks unless they were supplied as a kit.
Also as they say, just hit and trial and re-do everything again.

As they say, never match 2 sticks unless they were supplied as a kit.
You were just unlucky. This is a rare scenario, mostly it doesn't have any issue.

I have a PC, a laptop, an NUC, and a Synology NAS, all using 2 RAM sticks. None of them were bought as a kit. Couple of them are even mismatched in terms of size and clock speed. No issues in any of them.

I have used such configs in my old laptop, old PC, and in my dad's laptop as well, without any issues.

You were just unlucky. This is a rare scenario, mostly it doesn't have any issue.

I have a PC, a laptop, an NUC, and a Synology NAS, all using 2 RAM sticks. None of them were bought as a kit. Couple of them are even mismatched in terms of size and clock speed. No issues in any of them.

I have used such configs in my old laptop, old PC, and in my dad's laptop as well, without any issues.
Well, no idea why just me!

Well, no idea why just me!
Yeah, it's always frustrating when these things happen. I just got a new RAM from a user here and it conked off on a month while the old one was working fine for over a year. I immediately regretted the unnecessary upgrade (to 32 gb) when 16 gb was working fine for me.

The reason I wrote my above post was that you don't have to waste money on an expensive kit just because of this experience. You can go to a store and buy 2 RAMs and just make sure they're from the same batch.

On the other hand, if you can find a reasonably priced kit, then it's fine.

Despite putting in exact same sticks with same CAS, same timings, everything same except the Version from Corsair's end, could not get the PC to boot and work.
Oh that's the same problem I had. I bought 4 single sticks since 2 & 4 packs were not available. While I took care to make sure they were all the same specs, one of them was from a different batch/"Version No.". It was booting up, but was not letting the other sticks run at full speed.

Returned it and got the same version and now they're running at full speed.

TLDR: there's a reason for 2 & 4 packs to exist. Get them if you don't want to experiment

Back