User Guides Use Windows 2003 instead of Windows XP..

The advanatages are, it uses less memory and is much faster than Windows XP.

Here are the step by step details you need to use Windows 2003 :D

1. Install Windows 2003 Server :p

2. Install Win2003 SP1. Its a 330MB odd patch available at MS Site.

3. Goto Start -> Run -> services.msc. Enable Themes. Disable Automatic Updates, Print Spooler, Help and Support, Error Reporting, Task Scheduler, Application Experience Lookup Service, Wireless Configuration, TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, etc....

4. Goto Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc. Goto Comp config -> Admin Templates -> System. Disable "Display Shutdown Event Tracker", "Turn Off Windows Update device driver search prompt" options.

5. Goto Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Componenets -> Remove check on "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration" and enable "Indexing Services".

6. On the Desktop Right click, Properties -> Appearance -> Windows XP Style. Again Desktop Right click, Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot -> Set "Hardware Acceleration" to full.

7. Goto Start -> Control Panel -> Sounds And Speech Devices -> Enable Windows Audio :S (this is new since SP1..)

8. Goto Start->Run->dxdiag.exe, Display. Enable anything thats disabled.

9. Get the UXTheme patcher, install it and then any of your favourite themes. (I personally like CrystalXP shell pack)

10. Then install whatever drivers and softwares you used to install in WinXP in the same order as you would do in Windows XP.

The only problem is the Ctrl+Alt+Del option during boot :D i can live with it though...

Here are some links :

Windows 2003 Service Pack 1

UXTheme Patcher

The only problem is the Ctrl+Alt+Del option during boot
Try this (works in XP, maybe does so for 2003)
Run> control userpasswords2
Advanced tab
Uncheck "Require Users to press ctrl+alt+del"
Also uncheck on users tab "users must enter a username and password to ..."

I had seen a similar article on Neowin . Anyways nice guide but i wud no way switch on to Windows 2003 "Server"

*no offence meant*

1) It doesn't make sense and better for servers only not on my home PC :)

2) Understand the Relation
Windows 2000 Professional ~ Windows XP Professional
Windows 2000 Server ~ Windows 2003 Standard Edition
Wndows 2000 Advanced Server ~ Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition

3) Happy hunting for an Anti-Virus software for "Server operating system" especially "AVG" lovers and there exsists some applications that refuse to work on Server perating systems. Hope u do not come accros such applications which u may find very useful!

Regards.

Yeah, but it has to be remembered that win2003 has an all new improved kernel (the same one in x64). Which is why, if you switch off all the "server" related services/features you can (theoretically) get a better OS than XP for non-server use.

I believe windows server 2003 does a much better job having active directory,DHCP,DNS installed serving resources than as a workstation OS much like XP.But thats just me.No hard feelings or offence meant to anyone.

@ KingKrool: Since the kernel is the same as the one in x64, would it be just as fine for A64 users to use XP x64 instead of Server 2003 ?

Well does anyone here know the price of Windows server 2k3? Its something like 1000$ for a 5 seat license :p. Anyone here wanna spend that? This article doesnt make any sense for SOHO users.

Chaos said:
Well does anyone here know the price of Windows server 2k3? Its something like 1000$ for a 5 seat license :p. Anyone here wanna spend that? This article doesnt make any sense for SOHO users.

Correct! but piracy and curiosity lol. I don't understand why go looking for a pirated Win2k3 Cd(i bet majority will get a free copy :p ) when many home users here have XP/2K/*nix.
Have pity on M$ lol they deserve support for this quality server OS targetted for enterprise use and not home use "unless u plan to do MCSE 2003 and need the same for practice" official M$ courseware gives u a free 180-day evalution copy of Win 2K3 enterprise edition which u can turn into full unlimited edition using time bombs lol.

SoHo users shuld always go for Linux on server-end (Squid,Apache,Samba-3.0 with LDAP, firewalls blah blah are excellent free alternatives for costly Windows server ) Client end will be mostly Win 2000 Pro

Don't promote win2k3 for home usage. Note that its a server operating system used at enterprise level where quality matters due to critical data and so it has to be very stable under high load so obviously it will have performance superiority(kernel etc) over client OS like Windows XP.
So stick to ur good friend Windows XP rather than visiting ur local software pirate :eek:hyeah:

Regards.
Regards.

Heh, like someone already mentioned before, programs can be a b**ch to run on win2k3 and end up giving that 'not supported for servers' dialogue, damn! I miss zone alarm but since ports that aren't needed are blocked by 2k3 anyway it isn't really needed I guess, but still I kinda miss the ad contro, alertsl and what not of ZA......oh well.....

Might try tpf later.

i`ve used 2k3 before... when it was launched... and i found that to be much better than xp

now that xp46 is out im using it... and its much more stable and efficient than xp...

ok i have one question
xp64 has the core from 2k3 rite???
then wats the 2k3 64bit version???? is it even better than the xp64..

^the primary reason i switched to a Athlon64 pc was to use a good 64bit OS...but then the driver problems..:(

currently using a XP system...will be using a Wista OS...after things get sorted out...

I am a very satisfied user of XP..if u know woot to do & woot not to do...its' a perfect home OS..:D...a Genuine* USER.

(CD got with a DELL PC..:D)

a perfect home os is the windows mce or the xp home edition...

xp is not a PERFECT home os....
its designed to be something that can satisfy everyone...
it has features of both sides.. home and enterprise...

i keep both...2003 for develoment, coz its much faster, IIS runs better...XP for games, movies and music. There is a patch around for win 2003, which makes it a workstation and removes all extra stuff. will look around and post.

whosoever thinks 2003 is better at performance for home use than XP is a complete idiot. the Kernel core itself is optimized for background services & boosting the TCP/IP stack rather than the applications. it doesn't use less RAM, It completely uses the RAM in a completely different Management set.

Also I'd like to mention a fact that normally people don't know, the 2003 kernel is basically a native 64bit processor, even the 32bit version 2k3 as well. Its just ported inside a 32 wrapper u can say. The normal Drivers for XP are not optimized for such operation.

for a normal use - MCE is my vote of choice as well

I have actually used Win Xp pro, Win Xp home, Win 2k3 enterprise and Winxp x64. I find on normal use Win Xp x64 and win 2k3 are much faster. On theory it may sound stupid but its the truth. Many of my friends have similar experience.

Back