Linux using full cpu and system resources in linux after uefi bios reset

rupeshforu3

Disciple
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have a system with Intel i3 10th gen 10100 processor and Asus h510 me motherboard. Yesterday I have issued load optimal settings in uefi bios. At present full system resources are not being used.

I have brought my system 20 months back. I installed Arch Linux 4 months ago and compiled ffmpeg git source code. after that I have ran ffmpeg in three terminal emulator windows I mean I ran three instances of ffmpeg in three separate directories.

At present my system is running linux kernel 6.4.11.

While running the system I opened an application called lxtask task manager and I have noticed that cpu load is from 70% to 84%.

Yesterday my system stopped working and there was no display in monitor and so I have removed ram from motherboard and inserted again. After that I entered into bios settings and selected load optimal settings.

At present I have booted into Arch Linux and started three ffmpeg instances in three separate directories. After that I have opened lxtask task manager and this time I have noticed that cpu load is from 57% to 68%.

My cpu base frequency is 3.6 ghz and it's turbo frequency is 4.2 ghz.

I have issued the command cat /proc/cpuinfo and found that frequency is 3.6 ghz.

Finally my complaint is the quality of the video converted from h264 codec to av1 codec is not good.

I think that linux kernel has not detected all of the system components correctly.

I think that kernel has not detected the cpu frequency and it's flags or extensions like mmx, sse etc.,.

I have entered into bios and enabled over locking and even no use.

I want to remove old configuration files of cpu and ram and use new ones.

My system is working properly I mean I am able to play media files and watch videos but the average load is not as expected.

Kindly try to suggest how to recognise all the system components correctly and make average usage of cpu between 70% to 83%.

Regards,
Rupesh.

A) lower CPU usage for same tasks is better. Means computer can do more. Open a 4th instance of ffmpeg.

CPU should boost to 4.2 when possible under light single thread load. Under high multi core load(ffmpeg work in multiple instances) ,it would remain close to base frequency.

B) CPU usage is not a indicator of video conversion quality. For that check your conversion settings.

I think that a good output video will be produced when the system works properly as expected.

May I know how to generate new configuration files for cpu and ram.

Hi cpu usage is fluctuating between 56 percent and 69 percent instead of 83 percent. Previously I have noticed maximum number of times to be 81 percent.

Can I think that my system is working properly.

My current requirement is I want quality video output from ffmpeg.

Is there any relationship between quality video output and cpu usage. I think that if ffmpeg take more cpu resources it produces quality output.

Please suggest weather my assumption is wrong and can I safely ignore the cpu usage.

Finally my complaint is the quality of the video converted from h264 codec to av1 codec is not good.
Every time you compress video, it will lose quality. If you have access to the h264's higher quality source, then transcoding that to av1 will give you better result. Else h264 --> av1 transcoding is a waste of time and resources. Better to invest that in a bigger HDD.

Please suggest weather my assumption is wrong and can I safely ignore the cpu usage.
There are a lot of factors that affect CPU usage. If the program is only limited by CPU speed and optimized to make use of all cores, it will be closer to 100% on an i3 or an i9. If it needs to read data, process it and then write it back to disk, then that is probably the bottleneck. Assuming you're not getting thermal throttled as mentioned above.

Is there any relationship between quality video output and cpu usage. I think that if ffmpeg take more cpu resources it produces quality output.
The output quality will be the same whether you run ffmpeg on a Pentium I or a Threadripper. The only difference is the time taken to finish the job

Back