Using low end nvidia gt 610 gpu with ffmpeg and linux ryzen 5600.

rupeshforu3

Disciple
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have pc with Intel i3 10th gen 10100 and Asus prime H 510 me motherboard and I want to upgrade my PC.

I have chosen AMD Ryzen 5600 cpu which doesn't have integrated cpu and require discrete graphics card and so I have chosen zebronics GT 610 graphics card which has nvidia gt 610 gpu.

I can get Ryzen 5600 and Ryzen 5600G at the same price ie., 12500 rupees Indian currency. But the intersting point is that 5600G has 16mb l3 cache and graphics core next 7 integrated graphics. Ryzen 5600 don't have integrated graphics and has 32 mb l3 cache.

So if I can buy 5600 cpu I can get double performance than integrated graphics version cpu.

Actually most of the time I use my desktop pc in transcoding x265 hevc videos into aom av1 codec video. I don't have the habit of playing video games.

I have chosen zebronics GT 610 graphics card because it costs only 1600 rupees Indian currency and it has 30 watts TDP which comes with 2 GB GDDR3 ram.

Mainly I use my desktop pc for transcoding videos and linux programming and even I don't use it for video editing or video creation. I mean I use my pc with command line or CLI.

I have some videos with x265 codec and 500 mb size and approximately 1200*700 pixels.

While converting x265 to av1 I use 2 pass encoding in ffmpeg.

My question is " Is there any requirement for any high quality graphics card which costs thousands of india currency or hundreds of US dollars just to decode x265 or x264 video".

How much time does it take to decode 500 mb x265 video using CPU which doesn't have integrated graphics. How much CPU percentage does it take to decode.

Some people said that gt 610 will crash and cpu usage will raise upto 90 percent while decoding. Is it true.

I think that ffmpeg tool first decode the input x265 video file and store temporarily somewhere and then convert to other format like av1.

While the ffmpeg tool is decoding the input x265 video can I use the CPU which doesn't have integrated graphics or can I use low end nvidia gt 610 GPU.

Another point to mention is that high cost graphics card has two to three cooling fans and require additional power supply but gt 610 requires only one pci slot.

In the specification page of zebronics GT 610 they have given it require only 35 Watt power. Is it true if not how much watts does it take.

I am not going to stick to only GT 610 but I want to select any graphics card which costs less and which has only one cooling fan with x265 and x264 decoding.

If the graphics card fails I can buy and replace another cheap one.

Kindly try to suggest whether I can use gt 610 gpu in ffmpeg x265 and x264 decoding. If you think using graphics card requires additional cooling I am ready to use cooling cabinet.

If you say don't use any graphics card I will follow your suggestion.

Regards,
Rupesh.

1. That GPU is so old I doubt it supports decoding x265
  2. Double the cache doesn't mean double the performance. Depending on the game/app there might not even be any difference
  3. Any recent gen CPU should support x265 decoding in real time, so I wouldn't worry about it
  4. Big GPUs exist to play games at high fps/settings. Video decoding takes very little power, like 20W even on a 300W rated GPU
  5. I'm pretty sure ffmpeg doesn't decode a video fully before transcoding it, both happen in parallel
  6. GPU for video conversion is helpful when you want to use the hardware encoder for fast/real time conversion by sacrificing quality/file size.
  7. Slow encoding on CPU will give you smaller file size/better quality
  8. ffmpeg can make use of all available cores to speed up conversion, so using 100% CPU is good. You can limit the threads it spawns if you wish
  9. x265 to AV1 conversion is off little benefit file size wise
  10. Instead of buying AMD CPU + mobo, consider buying a more powerful CPU that your mobo supports

Back