St.John

Disciple
Help needed people...!

I intend to buy my first car... My choices are as follows:

Polo 1.2 Trendline
Fabia 1.2 Classic/Ambiente
Ford Figo 1.2 Petrol
Fiat Punto 1.2 Petrol

Asian cars are out of the equation, might check out the Toyota Etios's hatchback if it comes out soon.. Have driven swift (brother owned one), ritz, i10, and then I drove the Polo & Fabia.. plastics, overall build quality way above, the comforting thud when the door closes... So no asian cars it is...

Weekly runabout of about 120~150 km, dehradun trips maybe once in 3 months (from delhi), should last at least 5 years (I intend to keep this car for the next 5 years at least)...

I prefer utility over luxury... so am ok with base version as all these get the aircon, power steering, front power windows and remote boot lid opener..

Please suggest...

Ford Figo sales are about twice that of polo and 4 times that of fabia.Check the reviews at tbhp,carwale etc.Its should help you decide.

Polo is a better car than the figo (LOOKWISE have not yet tested the polo)...
moreover the polo looks more sophisticated/better while the figo looks like a functional car and not like one of luxurious ones.

There is an acute shortage of parts for figo (know that cause mine is in the service center for 15 days awaiting a AC pipe)...

What will be the average occupancy rate?

If it's 3 or more-> Hyundai i20 is the only good option.

If it's 2 or less -> Polo and i20 are equivalent, while personal choices differ.

Figo: A class below

Fabia: Outdated

sato1986 said:
What will be the average occupancy rate?

If it's 3 or more-> Hyundai i20 is the only good option.

If it's 2 or less -> Polo and i20 are equivalent, while personal choices differ.

Figo: A class below

Fabia: Outdated

Occupancy for the 1st year will be me most of the time and friends on weekend (full house).. Dad is buying a Ritz this Diwali... One of the reasons why no Maruti...

Bachelor life for the first 2 years and then biwi... :)

Polo is a 3 cylinder car which is outdated & Fabia is too small for its worth. Also VW & Skoda will rip you when it comes to paid service/parts.

I would go with Punto because its simply an awesome car. Or go with Figo if you tight on budget.

Since your weekly distances is 150km, I recommend you take a Diesel car. Petrol prices will not come down but rise again.

Also take the longest Extended Warranty possible when you take the car.

[/COLOR]3 cylinder transcends to good FE (12.0 (City) / 16.0 (Highway)... agreed Polo's engine isn't in the same league as the k series or the kappa series but I'd go with the Polo/Fabia because of the German marque... also with the little research that I have done, Polo/Fabia engines have lasted a lifetime with people... same can not be said either about the k series or the kappa, asian car makers cut corners to keep the production costs down...

Also, Fabia being small may not be a correct observation, in fact it is the biggest car among Polo,Swift,Ritz,i20 and Indica Vista... Fabia has a 315 litre boot in a hatchback... Small, i don't think so...

I have had a word with VW & Skoda dealership in gurgaon, cost of ownership for both the Cars is very competetive, the relationship manager told me that unlike asian manufacturers, german cars are build around the philosophy that a Car should need the least amount of dealership support and should be able handle the humdrum of daily running without frequent visits to the dealerships for small quirks and niggles... Not quite so with the Marutis or the Hyundai's ...

Punto, lemme see... definitely worth a look, but Fiat's quality is really dodgy...Will take a TD and confirm...

150 km a week is about 8,000~9,000 km an year... Diesel's cost of ownership will be too high for that kind of mileage to turn towards a Diesel...

Thanks for the suggestion, I intend to ask for the Extended Warranty..

Punto/Polo ride, handling and refinement is way above that of any Asian car.

Asian practicality and cost of running is way ahead of most European cars.

Economy (fuel) will be similar for both.

Both kinds are made to a price. Don't expect German quality at Indian prices. It's not possible. The famous build starts showing cracks after a few thousand kms.

Agreed about Euro engines lasting. Not so sure about the rest of the car.

In 5 years at your running it will do about 40-50k kms. Assume another 10k for enthusiastic sessions, which increase once your car is actually around.

This is no sweat for even the most cheaply put-together Asian car, let alone what you think of as sturdier European.

Punto has a 4-year 2,00,000 km warranty. Which means 80% of your intended lifetime. Estimate costly engine and electrical parts, and pray for failures within warranty.

Tata service is not that bad, if you get the right service center. They mostly deal with terrible taxi drivers and owners who mistreat their cars (Indixx), so getting a good service advisor is what you need. Everything else sorts itself out. In GGN that would be ABS. The other one sucks. Even Delhi has a good one, I intend to use it for at least one of my scheduled services.

Dont go for the punto cause it does no have proper service. Last i heard was that it used TATA motors for its servicing, which is pathetic in my opinion and the service cost are way too high...

They charge 7k for an oil change in the linea... which i dont understand why??? They say they use some kind of special synthetic oil which is manufactured only for them or some shit like that

^ You own a Punto/Linea?

For me FIAT service is not at all bad if not excellent like Maruti. These cars provide long feature list at same price as other European/Asian counterparts and they built like tank. Just have a test drive and then decide.

@ OP

I would suggest getting a diesel car as your usage is high. Any reason for not considering Beat?

Darky said:
^ You own a Punto/Linea?

For me FIAT service is not at all bad if not excellent like Maruti. These cars provide long feature list at same price as other European/Asian counterparts and they built like tank. Just have a test drive and then decide.

@ OP

I would suggest getting a diesel car as your usage is high. Any reason for not considering Beat?

I feel claustrophobic in the rear seat...! and the toyish look...

I'm just back from a trip of 1700 KMs across Uttranchal till gangotri in a Polo 1.6 through all muck, dust, rain, land slides and all through the curvy n broken terrain the Polo was superb compared to all other cars that i've ridden. ABS for the first time in car, had a few close shave and it was real good ! Also the AC was way above the regular ones. I've also ridden Figo but Polo seems way above it.

lida said:
They charge 7k for an oil change in the linea... which i dont understand why??? They say they use some kind of special synthetic oil which is manufactured only for them or some shit like that

Agree, service is bad and largely dependant on your service centre.

But their service rates are pretty standard.

They use either their brand Selenia (semi-synth; ~700 bucks/litre), or Castrol Magnatec. Oil capacity is 3.5L. So it won't cost more than 3k.

Synthetic oils are expensive, so these oil rates are pretty standard. The flip side is your oil change intervals get extended to 15K Kms/1 year.

If someone charged you/your friend 7k for synth oil, you've been ripped off :p

my vote for punto i love its high speed corning and braking . About service even if its done at TATA its service people are totally different and there response is very good . I have seen it myself whenever i go at tata for my safari service i see fiat owner are treated differently then us but then its my own experience .

Hey Polo is also good though i haven't got chance to TD it .

Back