Vantec eSATA /USB2 SATA HDD case

Sorry for digging up an old thread but can someone let me know why I am unable to get the temperature readings from this case.

I bought the Vantec Nexstar 3.5" case and fitted it with a Seagate 320 gb drive (7200.20) (As pointed by Eazy this looks real sexy and does not look out of place asthetically in my HT room:hap2: :hap2: )
The software that I use for monitoring the temp of my system is able to give me the readings of the mobo, cpu, gpu and other harddrives (mounted internally: A 320 gb Hitachi and a 160 gb Seagate). However it does not detect the external hard drive.

The mobo is an Asus P5B dlx and I am using the esata connector to hook up the Vantec to the system.

Anyone pls?

Does the HDD in the eSATA case show in the BIOS and in XP's Disk Management ? Is it listed in the Device Manager ?

Cannot see any reason for the HDD not to show its temp as basically it operates just like any HDD connected to the Motherboard directly :huh: I have never had this problem. Can you attach another SATA HDD in the case if same problem ? I have a Maxtor 160GB SATA 1 drive that for some reason works in Windows but does not show up in the BIOS when attached to the Vantec eSATA case :(

What is the data transfer speed you get with HDTach ?

Eazy said:
Does the HDD in the eSATA case show in the BIOS and in XP's Disk Management ? Is it listed in the Device Manager ?
Yes, shows up everywhere...bios, disk management and device manager, Also in explorer

Haven't tried with another HD and most probably will not till I really feel like it some day. Checking temp is not really urgent right now but wanted the feature since I was using esata.

Eazy said:
What is the data transfer speed you get with HDTach ?
WIll check and let u know. I have never used HDTach or 3Dmark or other such benchmarking tools on my computer. Never bothered.

It could be that the software you are using to monitor temps does not support external devices like USB / eSATA cases.

Eazy, if I remember correctly, didn't you mention somewhere that the eSATA connector is like the regular SATA connectors on the Motherboard? I could be wrong.

If so why don't you try connecting it to the internal SATA connectors?

Also you might want to try using Everest to see if you get a temp reading.

Just realised that the most likely reason for the problem is that Ronnie is connecting his HDD via the eSATA connector built on the motherboard and not with the Vantec cables which connects to a regular SATA II connector on MoBo - Ronnie, is this right ? May be the eSATA controller of the MoBo does not support the feature of temp readout.

Use the cables supplied along with the Vantec case and connect the case to a regular SATA II connector on MoBo and see if you get the temp readings.

Back