VFM phone Samsung Galaxy 3 at 6-7K

sriganesh

Disciple
While browsing websites for buying a new phone, I noticed that Samsung Galaxy 3 is up for grabs at 6399 (after discount coupon) on letsbuy. Does this make the best VFM mobile in this price range considering its capacitative screen, android, decent camera, and samsung brand. Please comment and advise if you have any other phone in mind in this price band that competes with this.

The processor is quite sluggish and lacks proper gpu thus ruling out playing 3d games like nfs shift and pes. Other then that it is a perfect value for money phone with added advantage of great sq out of the box? And also good enough video player. And do keep in mind that the hspda in g3 is restricted to 3.6 while other budget phones like galaxy 5 offer 7.2, this also is attributed to rather outdated soc, i think s3p series.

^Agreed. But it has the best music quality in the sub 10k droids and the best camera if we discount the Fit. So if wants it to use for just basic gaming but for other apps, music, browsing then @6.4k nothing even comes close :)

@emmarbee - Even after Froyo update , UI does gets smoother , but 3D games are more or less same ...

Just like Darkangel said , when considered at 6.4k , no other Android Phone comes close to the features in this phone . True it has 3.6 HSDPA , but all other offerings are updated(bluetooth 3.0,A-GPS) .

Thanks Darkangel and others for your suggestions. Regarding upgrading to Froyo, will the upgrade be out of the box or I have to take it to the service center for upgrading and does the warranty exist even after upgrading to 2.2

Is there any phone that I can consider in this budget, if not I am thinking of going ahead with this phone. This will be my first android and I am not a gadget geek, so would want to experience this and get a feel of android for some time before I consider a mid-level android in this ever increasing market of android phones.

On average how many days does letsbuy take to deliver the product to hyderabad, if anyone has any idea.

Even the Motorola Charm comes at 7.4k after the coupon and seems pretty VFM to me at that price. Has a 600 Mhz Cortex A8 CPU and a PowerVR SGX 530 GPU.Also has Gorilla Glass and 512mb RAM. Only drawback is it comes with Android 2.1.

manu1991 said:
Even the Motorola Charm comes at 7.4k after the coupon and seems pretty VFM to me at that price. Has a 600 Mhz Cortex A8 CPU and a PowerVR SGX 530 GPU.Also has Gorilla Glass and 512mb RAM. Only drawback is it comes with Android 2.1.

And the form factor. Not many might prefer a Qwery+touch phone.

^ Both gsmarena and Letsbuy state "1GB card included" , i do remember my friend getting a 2GB card with his Galaxy 3 ( not sure ) .

Perhaps you should call them up or send a mail to their CC .

Between the Galaxy 3 and the Sony Ericsson Elm, which would be the better phone?
Their both available at approx Rs 7600 and with the coupons even cheaper. Also how did the OP mention gettin the Galaxy 3 at Rs 6400? I thought the coupon was 10% off, so in this case it should come up to around Rs6800. Am I missing something?

How reliable is Letsbuy? Ive read that their customer support isnt that great and shipping can take a week or longer?

Nolasco said:
Between the Galaxy 3 and the Sony Ericsson Elm, which would be the better phone?
Their both available at approx Rs 7600 and with the coupons even cheaper. Also how did the OP mention gettin the Galaxy 3 at Rs 6400? I thought the coupon was 10% off, so in this case it should come up to around Rs6800. Am I missing something?

How reliable is Letsbuy? Ive read that their customer support isnt that great and shipping can take a week or longer?

RCOMLB1 coupon is a 15% max 1000 rupee coupon. It would better if you go through the letsbuy thread to keep yourself updated :p
They both are different form factors and OS. Its like comparing oranges and apples. The choice is based on your need between a Elm and a G3.

Just when I decided to buy this, one of my friends suggested that I should increase the budget and get LG Optimus One at 9000 on letsbuy. I am really not interested in increasing the budget unless absolutely required. Does increasing the budget by 2600 more and buying the Optimus is a good advice or the Galaxy 3 will be okay for me at this price considering this is my first smart phone and I am not a frenetic user of the phone. Also, I would like to know which is better in terms of camera and video recording.

Please give your suggestions (elaborate if possible!!!). I would like to buy today since RCOMLB1 coupon is going to expire tomorrow.

RCOMLB1 is expiring September 30th. Check the Letsbuy thread.
I would say if your budget is 7k then stick to G3. Its camera and audio quality is better than the O1 P500. But has less RAM, its GPU is weaker and resolution is lesser compared to O1. But hey thats expected since it also costs ~30% less!

Hmmm I have used both the phones for 3 months and currently using p500. Imho p500 is twice better then g3. So if you can pay 30 percent extra, go for p500. Camera p500 better. Audio g3. Also g3 screen is glass covered unlike p500 that has plastic covered screen which looks cheap.
Rest all p500 is better. Battery life., physical buttons, better speakers, much better market and community support.

DarkAngel said:
RCOMLB1 coupon is a 15% max 1000 rupee coupon. It would better if you go through the letsbuy thread to keep yourself updated :p
They both are different form factors and OS. Its like comparing oranges and apples. The choice is based on your need between a Elm and a G3.
Lol i did have a look at the letsby thread but it was some 165+ pages so thought id just ask here :D

Still undecided as to which one to go for...actually my trusty old K750i which has been going strong for the last 5 years got quite wet yesterday due to which the no 2 button stopped working, however it seems to be reviving itself today as its been working on n off. Guess that will give me a bit more time to decide.

Any idea if the G3 can play flash with Froyo? I think the ARM6 processor does not support flash as yet whereas the Elm has full flash support besides the fantastic camera. But your right, total apples and oranges in this case. Similar price is what makes the decision quite difficult though :huh:

Elm will be quite nice as a feature phone with a great camera. But be careful some users report that the d-pad starts getting stuck after a few months of use. But still at the price, it's a great phone.

Back