Views on cheap Chinese Projectors

rdst_1

Skilled
Hi,
These days we see lots of these cheap offerings in the projector space from 5-25k range. I know these are not going to be great by any stretch of imagination. But saw a thread on hifivision where many people were happy with these for casual usage. So just wanted to see if there are people on TE using any of these and how has your experience been so far.

I have one. It is e waste -
Which one do you have?
I know picture quality isn't gonna be any good, but a huge screen in a small room provides an immersive experience that makes one (at least me) forget about PQ. Think 80-100 inch from a 8ft distance. My last such experience was during college which felt awesome at that time. One friend also uses a Benq Short Throw at home.

Within that price you are unlikely to find anything worthwhile. The lower-end Anker and Xiaomi ones cost over 30k and they are just about acceptable. I had one from Xgimi which was at least 1080p and used it with a 92-inch screen. However, the ANSI lumen values are always overstated and you can only use them in an extremely dark environment and even then it wouldn't do HDR as it can barely throw out decent brightness. Also, the lag usually makes them unsuitable for gaming.

Projectors are certainly not viable living in apartments in Mumbai, makes more sense if you reside in a large home in a non-metro city. The short throw projectors are indeed good but not sure how many people will spend upwards of 1 lakh on them.

this has amazing reviews and roughly 200$

Within that price you are unlikely to find anything worthwhile. The lower-end Anker and Xiaomi ones cost over 30k and they are just about acceptable. I had one from Xgimi which was at least 1080p and used it with a 92-inch screen. However, the ANSI lumen values are always overstated and you can only use them in an extremely dark environment and even then it wouldn't do HDR as it can barely throw out decent brightness. Also, the lag usually makes them unsuitable for gaming.

Projectors are certainly not viable living in apartments in Mumbai, makes more sense if you reside in a large home in a non-metro city. The short throw projectors are indeed good but not sure how many people will spend upwards of 1 lakh on them.
Thanks for your inputs man. I am not expecting great quality from a 15-20k projector. Both rooms in which I plan to use this have dark curtains and most of the usage will be in the evening. I wish I would have bought one via my friend 3-4 years ago when branded projectors were cheap in the US and dollar rate was also more favorable. I was actually looking for a cheap 40 inch TV for one of the smaller bedrooms and thought that instead of spending 20k on a TV, why not try out a cheap projector instead. The guys on HiFiVision have been using these for a year now and they have grown accustomed to the lower PQ. I too, am someone who can sacrifice PQ for size, but finding it hard to do that for TV sizes. For projector sizes, the immersion is a lot more intense which helps. Let's see what I end up with.
The thing is that ever since my Plasma conked off last year, I don't want to make a compromise in PQ when it comes to TVs because they have become a lot more expensive due to the recent events, especially the so called budget models. So I just need something cheap while I save up to buy an OLED later.

Back