Virtual Reality (VR) gaming thread

D C

Adept
Wanted to make a thread for people to post their vr gaming experience, tips and tricks.
From the basic google cardboard to the top of the line Vive, index and pimax.
Looking for comments from existing users to prospective buyers.

I am looking to build a vr racing sim build sometime in the near future. Also, to be able to play half life Alyx.

VR user from about 1.5yrs here, although I play Beat Saber 80% of the time and the rest on other games :p

For a VR sim rig, I'd recommend a HP Reverb G2 - best resolution and bang for the buck for sim racing and flying, plus very decent for other stuff too. I'm myself using an Acer WMR and I'm completely satisfied with the tracking (with just 2 cameras, compared to G2's 4) even with Expert+ Beat Saber levels which have over 180bpm. Not sure how good it'd be for Pavlov and other stuff tho, since I'm not into those.

Had used the OG Oculus Rift before WMR for about 4-5 months courtesy of a friend, and just the basic Acer WMR was step up from it. Also as and when you get into VR, savour the first few days - it's just pure awe and joy as you discover how amazing it is. Must play games according to me are Superhot VR, Beat Saber, Google Earth VR and Aircar (the last 2 are free!).
Good luck on your VR adventures!

Btw the G2 is quite a difficult headset to run, and a minimum of RTX 2080 or equivalent is recommended for sim gaming (2060S and equivalent for non-sim games), so keep that in mind

Last edited:
That is awesome!

Beat saber is probably the most played game on vr. Best for quick 5 minute play session!

I have my eyes on g2 too, mainly because of resolution and lots of sim racing youtubers use that too.

But the valve index knuckles are the controllers to beat. Finger tracking should be default for next gen vr headsets.
Going how the csgo steam market is skyrocketing right now, I have some csgo stuff to help me cover the costs. Unfortunately it’s not available here, will have to get some help from friends/relatives.

Oculus quest2 would have been my purchase long time ago, if it wasn’t for Facebook. But it looks like fb is going to be the dominant player in vr scene for the coming future.

Psvr2 looks promising, but I am not holding my breath for it to have PC support. Looking forward to ps5 vr and what Sony has planned.

Do you plan on upgrading your vr headset?
Are there any vr apps like google earth? Looking for tourism/flyby style stuff for parents, for popular tourist destinations. (Guess vr videos would be good enough for that)

But the valve index knuckles are the controllers to beat. Finger tracking should be default for next gen vr headsets.
The Valve Index is arguably the best headset rn but there are quite a few complaints about the build quality after using it for a few months to a year, so keep that in mind if you do decide to go for it. Major complaints are about the knuckles controllers and the headset developing various issues like cracks in the build, and the headphones going kaput. Don't know if these have been fixed now but used to be quite widespread at least till a few months ago.
Finger tracking is quite convenient, although not very useful for sim gaming. But yea in general it's super exciting stuff!
Oculus quest2 would have been my purchase long time ago, if it wasn’t for Facebook. But it looks like fb is going to be the dominant player in vr scene for the coming future.
Yea it's both good and bad, and quite a long debate which likely warrants its own thread :p
On one hand, they are doing good by making the market more accessible to people, but at what cost? Walled gardens, strict control over hardware and software, plus privacy concerns and actively discouraging competition, and now in-headset ads. No one knows how VR will take shape in the coming years, but one thing for sure is that FB is here to stay (unless some miracles happen lol).
Do you plan on upgrading your vr headset?
Not really. For me, there's nothing really all round better (keeping in mind the games I play Beat Saber :p) - I love the inside out tracking since I don't have to sync base stations or anything, plus it makes it possible to play VR anywhere my laptop can go, aiding portability. If WMR comes out with slightly cheaper Gen 2 headsets, which have a wider FOV than gen 1 (and a bit more than G2 with at least 105degree FOV), preferably OLED display but with a resolution somewhere between 1440x1440 and 2160x2160 (maybe something around 1800x1800), physical IPD adjustment and decent set of built in headphones at a price slightly less than G2, I might consider upgrading.
But due to cost restrictions, I plan to use my Acer set till it works at least. So overall not looking for an upgrade really, unless there is something really compelling from a non-Facebook company. Maybe Decagear manage to pull off something brilliant, but I'm not holding my breath.

Btw as far as I know, you can use an Oculus Quest 2 without ever connecting it to internet by using it as a wireless or a wired PCVR headset, and there are still ways to use the Quest 2 without an FB account. I take no responsibility for the steps mentioned here of course.
Psvr2 looks promising, but I am not holding my breath for it to have PC support. Looking forward to ps5 vr and what Sony has planned.
PSVR2 looks to be amazing as per rumours but yea, even if people hack it to get it to work with PC (like they did with og PSVR), likely to remain a very niche territory, and not a bug-free one I imagine. But for someone with a PS5 it would be amazing I suppose.
(Guess vr videos would be good enough for that)
Stick to Google Earth VR dude. VR videos are as convoluted as RGB standards, and I gave up trying to get stereoscopic videos working. And even if they do get working, it's nothing spectacular imo .The 3D stereoscopic stuff is nice, but requires at least 8K resolution per eye to look good and it's not easy to run, plus very limited 3D sterescopic stuff (unless you count adult VR content that is lol).
Using a video player like BigScreen or SkyBox is quite nice tho, giving you the feeling of watching a movie in theatres!

Last edited:
Has anyone used Quest 2? It's available for 250 USD in US. Seems like a interesting choice to start VR journey but not sure how well it will age and all the FB restrictions.

Quest 2 is the best value for money headset right now. Stand-alone, wireless, can do pcvr. Nothing even comes close to that in that price range.
obvious downsides being Facebook. Facebook trying really hard to become the default standard for vr(personally, don’t like where this is heading). Also, some recent reports say that fb is testing for ads in quest2.
Quest2 pro/quest3 are also said to be confirmed, no eta yet.

some recent reports say that fb is testing for ads in quest2
No longer reports, Facebook added ability for devs to display ads in their sdk sometime last week or so.
Nonetheless, it's excellent hardware for the price, an excellent standalone headset (with the FB downsides ofc) and a decent PCVR headset.

The problem with VR is there's not many good games or games that makes you wanna play it everyday.
I wouldn't disagree with you, but there are at least 3 games I can think of which are playable on a daily basis - 'Beat Saber' and 'Pistol Whip' if you're into rhythm-based or music-based games, and 'Eleven Table Tennis' for folks who want to play TT but, well, lockdown and all. Eleven is really amazing, much better than I expected, and I say that as a state-level TT player.
Plus, watching shows and movies in VR is pretty cool - movie theatre right on your head!

I wouldn't disagree with you, but there are at least 3 games I can think of which are playable on a daily basis - 'Beat Saber' and 'Pistol Whip' if you're into rhythm-based or music-based games, and 'Eleven Table Tennis' for folks who want to play TT but, well, lockdown and all. Eleven is really amazing, much better than I expected, and I say that as a state-level TT player.
Plus, watching shows and movies in VR is pretty cool - movie theatre right on your head!
Those are fun but not for long, beat saber and other such games gets boring real fast. I'm not saying they're not good, they're fun but I can't play it everyday. I found the paint shooting in rec room more enjoyable lol. VR right now is more like an experience, the future will be great considering how realistic and fun these are.

Those are fun but not for long, beat saber and other such games gets boring real fast. I'm not saying they're not good, they're fun but I can't play it everyday. I found the paint shooting in rec room more enjoyable lol. VR right now is more like an experience, the future will be great considering how realistic and fun these are.
To each their own, and I understand :)
But for me at least, I enjoy playing beat saber on a daily basis, especially now that Beat Sage has made it possible to use virtually any MP3 file as a beatmap for it. Plus even before that, custome songs were (and still are) really fun. along with mods!

To each their own, and I understand :)
But for me at least, I enjoy playing beat saber on a daily basis, especially now that Beat Sage has made it possible to use virtually any MP3 file as a beatmap for it. Plus even before that, custome songs were (and still are) really fun. along with mods!
Agreed, I tried beat saber many times but I was never that good, right now my VR is sitting in storage. I wish there were more PvP games. The last time I played was a year and half back, I haven't been following on new games after that.

Agreed, I tried beat saber many times but I was never that good, right now my VR is sitting in storage. I wish there were more PvP games. The last time I played was a year and half back, I haven't been following on new games after that.
Which headset do you have? Any experience with vr sim racing?

there is population one and Pavlov, that i can think of.

The problem with VR is there's not many good games or games that makes you wanna play it everyday.
That's what is holding me back. I have this itch to buy and try VR I think after the first 15 days, I won't use it much. Also, let's see, If I can find a good deal, I might go for quest 2.
Also, are games purchased linked to FB account or different FB users can play the same games purchased by one user?

Which headset do you have? Any experience with vr sim racing?

there is population one and Pavlov, that i can think of.
I have OG HTC vive, had Samsung Odyssey+ too but sold it. I've tried assetto Corsa, project cars 3 and city car driving with Logitech g29, it was really fun, most of the time I was only crashing but it was very much enjoyable. If you're in to sim racing, VR+ any good wheels will be your best investment.
That's what is holding me back. I have this itch to buy and try VR I think after the first 15 days, I won't use it much. Also, let's see, If I can find a good deal, I might go for quest 2.
Also, are games purchased linked to FB account or different FB users can play the same games purchased by one user?
No idea about quest, I read it needs Facebook account to work sometime back but not sure if multiple accounts can be used. I might also sell my Vive soon

Last edited:
In case anyone's interested, the HP Reverb G2 seems to have got a price cut in US, at least in Walmart - 400USD now compared to 600USD at launch, making it just 100USD more than the Q2.
Ofc, the Q2 is still a complete standalone headset, but this just makes for a far better deal for anyone who doesn't want to support Facebook.

Last edited:
400usd makes a pretty good deal for sim pcvr. Sadly HP India Store is still at 53k.
Yea India price is unchanged, but one can get it imported via rahul. But personally I wouldn't recommend that since the initial batches had quite a few problems which were solved only by RMA. Hard luck for us Indians for hardware prices as usual lol

Has anyone used Quest 2? It's available for 250 USD in US. Seems like a interesting choice to start VR journey but not sure how well it will age and all the FB restrictions.
If you check the policy and see this...
We don’t collect and store images or 3D maps of your environment on our servers today
...you can be pretty sure that they will start doing it. This is of course in addition to all the device, network, usage data they are already collecting.

I was looking at this last year, but I would rather not use VR than use an Oculus device, especially since FB can disable it permanently if I use a separate account that they deem to be suspicious.

Has anyone here bought any VR set from amazon us? Specifically the Oculus Quest 2 since its double the price on amazon india. For example the 256 gb version is 448 USD in US vs 59k in India.

Just want to know if someone ordered directly from amazon us and faced any customs issues.

Back