Vista #1 biggest tech disappointment of 2007

For enthusiasts it really makes no difference. This segment already has enough horses under the hood to have good experience with Vista.
Out of the box, vista is not ideal OS or even a better functional OS for that matter.
There are few things which I dont like and UAC and Permission restrictions are one of them. But those can be disabled and honestly the logic behind these things makes sense. This way a unknowledgeable person cant mess with the system, neither can guests or family members who use the same computer.
With newer drivers and 7 critical hotfixes and patches, vista is decent enough for me not to go back to XP. The only thing I use XP is for pure benchmarking. And thats only for numbers. Otherwise I can play all my games just fine under vista as well and that includes crysis. You just need to know how to tweak your OS and Games ;)
I like the media sharing features of vista and WMP11/ WMC. Able to wirelessly stream music/videos from any of my 4 PCs with a simple regular wifi router which is working in simple bridge mode is a nice thing to have. This cant be done as easily under XP.
There are plenty of things you can do with the vista. I like the network management system of vista as well. Easy control over the network components and that too on the fly is great thing to have.
Problem is not many people are even aware or try to use these features and then say there is nothing more in vista than xp with eye candy ;)

KingKrool said:
^^So based on what might happen (but hasn't happened yet) he is supposed to hate Vista? Bad argument dude.

No i am not saying that he must hate Vista... What i was pointing out was that Udit as i have seen in recent years goes for numbers(FPS wise in the games)... Hence he will eventually start playing games on Xp... Just making his realize that next time he posts in 3Dmark threads with Xp as his OS for numbers he should keep a look at for me cause then i will remind him of the claims he made few posts ago :p...

Hope i made myself clear...

P.S. Although i do believe Vista is a disappointment i myself don't hate it...

Its just my feeling that Vista being newer than XP had to produce better benchies which it aint doing , XP with SP3 will be more better than Vista with SP1.

Considering from the performance and stability point of view , XP is better dont you think.

Only negative i feel is DX10 support not in XP else it wud beat the shit out of Vista. [Performance Point of View]

How many Vista users don’t use XP in dual boot , if they like vista so much why have a dual boot system.

I agree Vista has new GUI , Aero , Flip3D but that’s something i can live without.

[I don’t mean to be harsh on Vista , but this is my view]

Things I hate in Vista - UAC (Time Waste), Indexing (high HDD usage), System Restore (Its present in XP also, useless), Icon Corruption (Network Icon on desktop), Firefox slow, 10% less gaming performance, Windows Defender.

Things I love - Drivers management, Sound quality (In XP onboard sucks), ability to accelerate things which I use often by Rapid boost etc.

Now XP, it feels slow after few days, it requires lot of caring, defragment + Reagistry Mechanic + Junk Cleaner. Vista doesnt slow down, thanks to its better prefetch power.

Switch said:
No i am not saying that he must hate Vista... What i was pointing out was that Udit as i have seen in recent years goes for numbers(FPS wise in the games)... Hence he will eventually start playing games on Xp... Just making his realize that next time he posts in 3Dmark threads with Xp as his OS for numbers he should keep a look at for me cause then i will remind him of the claims he made few posts ago :p...

ohh previously i used to post scores from both xp & vista for the sake of all users but now i'm not dual booting so only Vista x64 is there on my rig :tongue:

plus i have realized after August 2007 that if you keep analyzing numbers you cannot game peacefully ;)

i hate xp most because of the format + reinstall needed every six months :no:

@Punjab234, every con you mentioned can be disabled or fixed & i just hate indexing which i disabled :)

best thing in Vista is scheduled defragmentation :eek:hyeah:

gaming performance loss of 10-25% does not matter with a high end gfx card :p

XP su*** now for me it just feels like crap :mad: xp lacks dual core support :mad:
so i used 2 xpirience lots of probs while playin cs 1.6 :S 1.6 n other games also run far smoothly on vista :clap: just like they did on XP.
also no hang problems in vista !!! not even once :eek:hyeah: xp hangs like hell :mad:
So vista roxx.
n may b vendors defer frm givin vista coz its costly than xp n not many ppl kno bout it :tongue:
VISTA VISTA VISTA

Kenpachi said:
also no hang problems in vista !!! not even once :eek:hyeah: xp hangs like hell :mad:

So vista roxx.

VISTA VISTA VISTA

XP hangs like hell , lol that’s funny :rofl: , hope u got genuine version of XP and not some patched or c@#$%^ version causing compatibility issues to hang.

Quad Master said:
XP hangs like hell , lol that’s funny :rofl: , hope u got genuine version of XP and not some patched or c@#$%^ version causing compatibility issues to hang.

duh !!! me havin og xp :mad: not sum crappy 1s :cool2:

I have a question regarding the dislike for UAC - what is it you do that causes UAC prompts in usual day to day activities? This is a genuine question, I want to know what sort of activity causes that. I don't get many UAC prompts, and so I wonder whether I am using my computer less in some sense.

Switch said:
if you aren't on Vista you aren't actually missing anything except for the eyecandy and the cool "alt + tab" which btw also looks cool :p... The basic funtanility of the OS(Cut/Copy/Paste )still works the same way... Maybe a little slower ;)

P.S. Whats Dx10 btw... You cant game on the stupid thing for peanuts...

Well said... exactly my point too....
PS: btw me on vista coz of eyecandy .... :clap:

All the Vista users , what virtual drive [mounting images] and image [iso,mds-mdf,bin-cue] burning\editing software are u guys using.

@Kenpachi - I too haven't formated and re-installed XP in past 1~1.5 Yrs.[Touch Wood]

Quad Master said:
All the Vista users , what virtual drive [mounting images] and image [iso,mds-mdf,bin-cue] burning\editing software are u guys using.

@Kenpachi - I too haven't formated and re-installed XP in past 1~1.5 Yrs.[Touch Wood]

me using daemon tools (daemon408-x86)n power iso both are gd power iso is better coz u can even burn images frm it directly ;)

Quad Master said:

i use Daemon Tools Pro Advanced which does everything :D

KingKrool said:
I have a question regarding the dislike for UAC - what is it you do that causes UAC prompts in usual day to day activities? This is a genuine question, I want to know what sort of activity causes that. I don't get many UAC prompts, and so I wonder whether I am using my computer less in some sense.

Installing Apps,Running some apps,changing any minor system setting (network etc.),copying files at times etc. etc.Its a PITA! I have no doubt that disabling UAC is the first thing most home users would be doing on Vista!

Udit said:
Lets make a Vista Gang & Boycott Vista Haters one by one & force them to use Vista for a week :eek:hyeah:
Ya lets kick some ***...

kiddin..
Quad Master said:
Considering from the performance and stability point of view , XP is better dont you think.
No, not really yar...Ya there is a small trade off, but not really,, todays normal processor, 1gb ram,,,u wont even notice the difference..:hap2:

Quad Master said:
How many Vista users don’t use XP in dual boot , if they like vista so much why have a dual boot system.
I dont..Never since the first day i installed vista...:eek:hyeah:

Punjab234 said:
Things I hate in Vista - ........ Firefox slow....
Now u cant blame vista for bad memory management by firefox...Ps-latest firefox build seems to address that issue...:eek:hyeah:

Dark Star said:
Vista is the biggest disappointment for every1 ... Not only for user even Vendors stooped their support for Windows .. Like Dell , IBM, Hp, Google, etc... These big giants have gone open ..Vista PC are very rare :p Well I really don't like Windows many reasons can't name 1 :p .. Working on Linux is so easy and fun..
P.S : Let the flame war begins :p
Ya lets begin..This time its balanced..
Vendors stopped support cause of the clients...Besides it was wrong on their part to bring out vista as soon as it was released..People didnt get time to adjust..And vendors just wanted to cash in on the initial hoopla...So paid for it..:cool2:

Dark Star said:
Working on Linux is so easy and fun..

U must be joking...i neednt say more..Cause hunting for drivers,for applications havin atleast even half the functionality of windows software, isnt my idea of FuN...:no:
Quad Master said:
Its just my feeling that Vista being newer than XP had to produce better benchies which it aint doing , XP with SP3 will be more better than Vista with SP1.
Do u expect new games to work better and better on old hardware??? Then why expect the same from new OS ???
Newer technologies need faster hardware..its been like this since the age of DOS...Did u go abt crapping xp and promoting win 98 when xp was launched???
Its just that no one want to give it a fair chance...Of all the hype i've seen abt OSX, Leopard seems sooo shitty...and is also slower than tiger...then??
Its like this for every facet of like...In school..."u dont come first in class, the topper seems like an idiot worthless pig.."

"In college u dont get a good girlfriend The one who does seems like an ass":rofl:

(jus the general idea..)

We criticise some thing sooo badly,,,but end up using it..

KingKrool said:
Im sorta neutral towards it,,,but there r a lot of prompts..if u just google u might get some examples..i remember onw with 8-9 prompts for just deleting a file...
Still once u get used to it, no real prob..
Pat said:
Installing Apps,Running some apps,changing any minor system setting (network etc.),copying files at times etc. etc.Its a PITA! I have no doubt that disabling UAC is the first thing most home users would be doing on Vista!
Copy Paste sorted...just download sp1..
U have prob changing network settings??As in where??
All they did was add more functionality, nothing removed..Come on man just take a slow look n u'l understand... It rather simple than xp,,most of the time autoconfigures..

Back