Vodafone robbing prepaid users is increasing

I think what @blr_p is referring to is Flash messages. It is "ON" by default in new sim cards and not everyone knows how to deactivate it.

For Lumia,
Go to settings -> mobile+SIM - > SIM settings -> SIM applications -> FLASH! -> Deactivate*

*Not sure what you will get to see after "FLASH!" because I have it deactivated since a long time. Basically you just need to deactivate Flash messages.

I have not seen the option for "WAP push messages" in Windows Phone OS.

I don't think it has anything to do with clicking ads. I have experienced something similar on Aircel. I stumbled upon a site with many videos through google search, and upon playing a video, I got a message that I have been deducted Rs.60 odd for some subscription, valid for 24hrs or so.. I don't remember the site name, but ever since then, I've made it a point to avoid any video streaming site on mobile data.

This Sunday 8th mar till afternoon the bal. was Rs. 30.49.
Then sister simply checked balance and was shocked to see it was just Rs. 4.95.
She dint make any call on that day, just regular whatsapp.
Her no. is active on rate cutter pack & as well as on a data plan.
How much balance in terms of MB was left on her data plan ?

once you exceed it then the rates can be quite high. Again they don't block you but you use data without a plan you are paying through the nose. on airtel on 3G its 3p/10kb and on 2G it becoems 10p/10kb (!)

So is there a way on windows phone 8.1 to stop data transfer once a designated limit has been reached ?

Objective of this thread is to ensure this does not happen again. And i'm not sure we've got there yet.

So is there a way on windows phone 8.1 to stop data transfer once a designated limit has been reached ?

Yes there is. You can set data limit along with the date of renewal in "data sense". When data usage reaches near the limit you set, all data is turned off. Only if you disable data sense, you will be able to use data further.

He further stated we shouldn't click on any ad appearing on any apps or websites opened as it instantly charges us.:banghead:
That's the only clue. so if you have apps that show ads or websites that have ads then inadvertently clicking on one gets you charged.

loads of complaints (but not a single answer!) about the same thing here. Always redthat somebody has pain but no way to preent it further.

short format charge and hello store. all insist they never signed on for any service.

here is an interesting post.

his problem is mainly due to Whatsapp being linked to Vodafone Live! when in actual it should not be.

One solution is:
Send sms: CAN VL to 144.
Uninstall whatsapp.
Restart phone by pulling out the battery.
Once the VL service is deactivated, re-install whatsapp.

Hope this helps.

P.S.: Vodafone is completely wrong in linking Whatsapp to Vodafone Live! and is committing a fraud.

whatsapp being linked to vodafone live ?

She dint make any call on that day, just regular whatsapp.
So its something to do with whatsapp thats triggering these charges.

Last edited:
from what i've read on a few websites is that vodafone charges for downloads(any type of download) even if you are on a data plan..pretty crazy if true.

there is a discussion on IBF too..search for "Vodafone India charging extra for 'downloads'"

They all start with i'm being over charged and consistently fail to identify the cause. then it goes quiet. so they got a refund.

does the same thing happen again ? apparently not. why...

Any update on this? I'm also on Vodafone Prepaid. There were a few instances where I wanted to click on links but i didn't. Phew. My balance is always low as it is.

Sis simply viewed a recipe video and some oldie video song that too from either YouTube or general local free sites. Still clueless about
"DNLD-DWAP_VID0025_PPU_MOB00414001"

Back