VoIP calls from Viber, Skype Etc.. on Airtel will be Charged

Christmas and new year gift from Airtel to its customers.

Bharti Airtel Ltd, India's largest telecommunications carrier by subscribers, will soon start charging users extra money for using services such as Skype as Indian operators look to boost their data network and revenues.

According to the company website, internet or data plans that give customers discounted rates will only be valid for internet browsing and will exclude Voice over IP services (VoIP).

VoIP services include those such as Skype, Line and Viber that typically let users make free calls through the internet.

An Airtel spokeswoman said the charges will only apply to pre-paid customers and will be implemented soon.

link

I guess Hangout and Facebook calls would be counted. They're mentally prepared to charge any call made through these apps.

I guess their Packs for Viber, whatsapp Line & skype would be - Rs 200/month Unlimited VOIP data ( unlimited = 1Gb)

On Hike Application its 50% off because its theirs.

Last edited:
Are these Mafias really that desperate? Courts should give a kick in their nuts.

This is violation of net neutrality. These a-holes should be sued for this.

Sad. Maybe they should unbundle the whole service offering, and charge for everything in a different manner. UDP, P2P, mail, images, youtube buffering.

Govt to look into Airtel’s plan to charge for internet calls : Union Telecom Minister

Government will look into Airtel’s plan to charge separately for internet call services (VoIP) offered by apps like Skype, Viber and Line that will cost up to Rs. 10,000 per GB on 2G network and up to Rs. 4,000 per GB on 3G network to a user.
“We will look into it. Government will come back with structured response,” Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said on the sidelines of ‘Good Governance Day’ event organised by the Department of Electronics and Information Technology.

He was responding to media questions on Airtel’s plan to charge for VoIP calls at standard rate of 4 paise per 10 KB on 3G network and 10paise per 10 KB on 2G network.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com...-charge-for-internet-calls/article6725092.ece

“We will look into it. Government will come back with structured response,” Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said on the sidelines of ‘Good Governance Day’ event organised by the Department of Electronics and Information Technology.

I hope he doesnt means something like 'We ll look into it that how much of a cut the govt ll be entitled to, and then we ll give it the ok. They cant be the first to mooch off you guys. We are here for a reason.'

As far as I remember only Samsung has that built-in. My old n trusted friend - Nokia N73 - had it, but could use it just once in its service time :-(

Register your protest : http://netneutrality.in/
Retweet & Share on Fb.
Make everyone aware. Turn this in to a Internet movement. In future Nobody should f*ck with Net Neutrality In India.
[DOUBLEPOST=1419598022][/DOUBLEPOST]Airtel says VoIP pack priced at Rs. 75 for 75MB with a validity of 28 days. ~ 30P - 35 P/min similar to their 2G call rates with cutters.
Customers cam make between 200 and 250 minutes of calling .

http://telecomtalk.info/airtel-voip-rs75-75mb-with-a-validity-of-28-days/128216/

Dictating terms? Scumbag Airtel.

Last edited:
Back