VPS - 2048MB RAM, 50GB Disk, 2TB Bandwidth, 2x IP address $40/year

I bought 2 of these. Pretty happy with it so far. Had a down time for a day (they presumably got a lot of registrations, many more than they had anticipated), but otherwise it has been fine. Their customer-support is top-notch. At $40/year, it is a pretty good deal.

How much time did they took to provision the server, mine is in pending for more than 15 mins.
I heard they lost data when they had an outage some time back.
How are you guys backing up your data, Do you rsync to sync to some local machine or using some online service like Dropbox etc?

How much time did they took to provision the server, mine is in pending for more than 15 mins.
I heard they lost data when they had an outage some time back.
How are you guys backing up your data, Do you rsync to sync to some local machine or using some online service like Dropbox etc?

Depends, mine took about half hour.
For backup I have scheduled daily backups to be uploaded to my other shared hosting account.

@varkey why did you chose Buffalo location. The ping timings are ~340 while Cal is ~290 range. Do you see advantage in any other things that I should consider.

Last edited by a moderator:
Provisioning is too slow today. Mine is still in pending state for 5 hours. Looks like they are getting a lot of load and something had failed internally.

Looks like they are adding more nodes to the Chicago center today. Until then people who placed new orders have to wait.
Hello,

We have new nodes arriving today and we will get your VPS setup as soon as possible. We only want to give good performance.

Guys, need help. Can anyone help me setup an email server on the VPS? I have tried googling around and found a lot of tutorials. Was able to setup STMP server as well, but incoming emails were not working. I don't want to again look at those complicated tutorials. I am looking for a not-too-complex way to do it :)

I want to run my own mail server to be able to both send and receive emails on my custom domains (e.g.: pathik@mycustomdomain.com) I have already updated MX records on the Domain Registrar records to point to my VPS.

I believe GoogleApps is no longer free, right?

Volume wont be too high (around 500-600 emails a month).

@Pat

I think there is some trick through which you can still open a Google Apps account for free.

And running a mail server, the main problem is inbox delivery can't be guaranteed. Since it will be a new IP, its reputation will be zero and most providers will put your mails to the spam folder, something you don't want. You can have SenderID, SPF records, DKIM authentication etc which would help you. There are also steps that you can follow to get your IP white listed and allowed but its time consuming and you need to contact them individually. I went through that ordeal few years back and it wasn't smooth. These steps are in addition to configuring a proper mail server to ensure inbox delivery.

Since your email volume is low if you can manage to get a Google Apps account it would be the best solution. So unless its for experimenting, personally I wouldn't recommend running a critical mail server on your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to run my own mail server to be able to both send and receive emails on my custom domains (e.g.: pathik@mycustomdomain.com) I have already updated MX records on the Domain Registrar records to point to my VPS.

I believe GoogleApps is no longer free, right?

Volume wont be too high (around 500-600 emails a month).
Instead of Google Apps you can open a Windows Live for domains account. You'll get 500 email addresses of the you@yourdomain.com variety.

I have a VPS with this config which I am no longer using. Anyone wants to use this as a test/development server, this is perfect to get your hands dirty with this unmanaged VPS.

I can let it go for half the price :)...server is paid till March 2014.

Back