Video Vu 40K16 40 Inches Full HD LED Television

Yes, bought 2 in the last 3 months. But both for friends. They are satisfied with the quality @ the given price. I have seen the TV in person and the display is good with good viewing angles and super slim bezels.
Also, both availed the extended 2 year additional warranty @3K.

Yes, bought 2 in the last 3 months. But both for friends. They are satisfied with the quality @ the given price. I have seen the TV in person and the display is good with good viewing angles and super slim bezels.
thanks for the reply.

This TV seems to be getting great reviews all over, now there are two models 40k16 and the 40D625 or something, the latter is newer and slimmer, but has a lower contrast ration and one less HDMI port.

Holy crap! A 55 incher for 46k. I'd definitely consider picking it up if my existing Sony were to go kaput (pray it doesn't). But I'm still dubious of the brand quality. I know the market is being flooded with relatively newer brands with lesser price point products, but not sure how effective they are in the long run.

Holy crap! A 55 incher for 46k. I'd definitely consider picking it up if my existing Sony were to go kaput (pray it doesn't). But I'm still dubious of the brand quality. I know the market is being flooded with relatively newer brands with lesser price point products, but not sure how effective they are in the long run.

If you have a sony you don't have to worry about 'vu' and other 'shu's'. Remember good brands like sony ask for a premium price because they use better components, LED panel, chips, caps etc.
Due to technological advancement picture can be improved/replicated to a extent on lower grade hardware as well. And for cutting costs manufacturers do tend to include cheap hardware to go with it.

Customers get attracted to that price thinking it would be the same quality as the higher end model.
They actually get to experience the agony of there decession once a problem develops in the led they bought.

^^ That is so inaccurate. Good brands do not necessarily use better quality components. A TV from Sony or Samsung can have the same manufacturing cost as a lesser known brand with the same quality grade, but still have a huge difference in market price. The additional price is usually because of brand recognition that they have acquired in the past. In addition it may be attributed to some proprietary technologies (which may not necessarily deserve the price premium) and in some cases for better after sales experience. At least that is what you get buying a known brand outside India.

In India, after sales support for even brands like Sony is often just as shitty as any cheap Chinese brand. That is how electronics industry has become these days. Spending more does not guarantee a superior product and spending less does not guarantee a shitty product. You just need to identify what offer better value and buy it.

^^ That is so inaccurate. Good brands do not necessarily use better quality components. A TV from Sony or Samsung can have the same manufacturing cost as a lesser known brand with the same quality grade, but still have a huge difference in market price. The additional price is usually because of brand recognition that they have acquired in the past. In addition it may be attributed to some proprietary technologies (which may not necessarily deserve the price premium) and in some cases for better after sales experience. At least that is what you get buying a known brand outside India.

In India, after sales support for even brands like Sony is often just as shitty as any cheap Chinese brand. That is how electronics industry has become these days. Spending more does not guarantee a superior product and spending less does not guarantee a shitty product. You just need to identify what offer better value and buy it.
Couldn't have put it better myself, I have two Samsung and three Sony led TV's at home. One of the two Samsungs panel conked in the first 3 months, and they refused to give me a new piece, they replaced the panel. The other Samsung went kaput after a year, the power board, spent Rs. 1500, this I don't blame Samsung, I didn't connect a stabilizer when I shifted. These were the 26 inch LCD when they were launched. Now onto the sonys a couple 32' panels, both of them the panel about 6 years old both are gathering dust requiring panel replacements and I just don't feel like spending 10k-13k on repairs of a 32 inch. The latest Sony was one imported from Thailand h750 55' which is running fine for the last 2 years *knock on wood*

I would definitely consider buying mmx/vu for daily use, I don't see anything wrong with them. Vu even give you extended 2 year warranty at 10% of the purchase cost. There were review where customer got a replacement at the end of the extended warranty period to a higher model cause the older model was unavailable.

Last edited:

That's a very generic statement that can be applied to anything nowadays.

Problem is that due to the 'use and throw' culture people have almost forgotten what true quality used to be. They still feel that if the product would last 2-3yrs then that's a quality product. I have seen sony walkmans, tape recorders, vcr etc that still work even after more than a decade. Take old nokia mobiles for example which were made like tanks and surprisingly you might easily find them working even today. That's what quality is. Can any one of the chinese brands micromax etc claim that?

Beleive me, sony even now use very high quality components when it comes to its products. You would be hard pressed to even find one single instance where it have used sub standard hardware components like chips, caps etc.
I have had a full hd 42W700b smart led from sony. When I bought it more than a year back. It had the best picture quality( videos and picture both) at the time when compared to the likes of samsung, LG etc.
After I bought the led, I decided to connect it to a gaming HTPC. Unfortunately, when I started reading about that, I came to know that response time in 'ms' is utmost important in a gaming led. And that's why gaming led's are so costly. As they had superior panels that are able to cope up without delay. And to my surprise this model even had the lowest or among the lowest response time in the industry at that time.

Sony does use one of the best panels in this industry. It even have the best software or engines to go with the hardware like the bravia engine, x-reality pro etc which take the viewing experience to another level as most of the content that we see is still not full hd. So, they just upscale those things.

They are made using proper R&D. The updates are regular. There manufacturing and testing process are extremely organised and matured unlike the chinese brands.

I don't agree that cheaper brands are comparable to sony in any way. You get what you pay for.
And sony with all there experience and expertise deserve the premium they ask for.

Last edited:
^^ You can have your own opinion about it, but that doesn't mean its always correct or that it make sense to others. In any case, the only argument that you are offering is that of proprietary technologies and after sale support which is what I have also mentioned.

Sony offered products that deserved the premium price back in the 80's and 90's. I don't find any value in Sony products these days. You spend a premium and you still do not often get basic features that are part of every other competing product. You may get quality, but you would be paying a lot more than what that deserves and sometimes, you may get similar quality and overall better value for a lower price.

If I have to give a parallel, its like you may want to blow $1000 on a Titan X because it is the costliest card and offers best single GPU performance, but others may want to get a overclocked 980 Ti with a custom cooler for substantially less or maybe even a couple of them for more than the cost of the Titan X. I would discard the Titan X simply for the reason that it does not have the option for custom designs from the sellers.

That is exactly the same sort of reasons for which I have rejected Sony LCD TV's twice in the past and chose to go with Samsung or LG TV's after comparing side by side because the LG and earlier Samsung offered better overall package of features that I need.

Spending money is not a problem, but whether you get the right value from it or not definitely is important for people like me. I still have working Sony products back from the 80's and 90's, but none of the Sony products I bought after year 2000 (expect for my second PS3) lasted more than 2 years. Further more, I had bad experience with Sony support with me having to write a mail addressed to every one of the top level Sony India personnel to get it sorted and after threatening with legal action.

I also have a Chinese made video cum MP3 disc player bought for Rs. 3500 from a customs shop back in late 90's that's still in working condition right now. In fact, a Sony music system bought just an year before this one, required repairs for the CD tray after 2 years and that too lasted just one more year.

So, thanks but no thanks, I would much rather spend my money on what ever offers the best value and performance than blindly based on perceived brand value. Going with a known brand is definitely most times a safe bet for people who cannot afford to do the necessary research, but you should also realize that you do not always get what you pay for especially these days and I would much rather keep my eyes open for alternatives that offer better value even if they are lesser known and established brand.

Sony does not even make its own TV panels, they buy them from LG, Sharp and Samsung. The latest IPS panels used in most Sony TV's are from LG. And regarding service in India, most TV brands provide pathetic service along with very expensive spare parts. I, for one, welcome these smaller brands like VU, Micromax, Videocon etc Atleast you get these TV's at less than half the price and VU even offers 3 years warranty at just 10% of TV price.

Since this discussion has already taken that turn, I would like to know of good insurance policies for household appliances. It would be better if someone who has availed these services replies. In US, warranties from Squaretrade are really good. I have only seen ads from Syska on TV. With the prices of TV and other home appliances on the rise and the life steadily declining, I feel insurance is very important these days. My Samsung Plasma's warranty will get over in August and I would like to be ready for any future untoward incidents since in most cases the panel costs are as much as buying the TV itself.

Ordered one..
Got the delivery installation is pending
Hope everything would be fine.

Any videos to test for ghosting, black levels and bleeding and s what not stuffs

dont be so be concerned about the tests. Just watch your favourite movie clip or cable channel. If it looks good to the eye, then its all good!

This TV seems to be getting great reviews all over, now there are two models 40k16 and the 40D625 or something, the latter is newer and slimmer, but has a lower contrast ration and one less HDMI port.
Don't get the newer model..
It has a higher response time and two other things you mentioned

I'm sure they must have cut costs some other places too.
It's a trend nowadays with the companies (gigabyte)

Oh! Thank
Oh! Thank you So much for your information. I was just wondering about the the Viewing angle only[DOUBLEPOST=1438272821][/DOUBLEPOST]
ha ha :D please go ahead ATB:playful:

Anybody using this as a monitor..

My nvidia gts 450 has some problems detecting the TV as a secondary screen..
Detects the HDMI source displays for some time and then disappears. This happens randomly..
Also sometimes shows Hitachi as the source in EDID.. Where the native res is 1080p
And switches to generic vga and has 1024*768 as res

Radeon based laptop works fine.. Other than the overscan/underscan problem

Raspberry works completely fine

Back