W700i Review

Okie, just a quickie review here since my sis will be taking this with her..
Inevitable comparisions with the W800i may occur, but please forget it, i'm just trying to review the w700i alone.

Bought the W700i for Rs.13200 with SE warranty and stuff. Sis didnt want the w800i coz it "looked like a toy."

Contents of the Box :

The phone, 2 piece hands-free, data-cable, 256mb memory stick duo pro, memory stick adaptor, CD with bundled s/w

Looks :

Looks nice. dull golden brown front and back, and dull silver sides.
do not buy this phone if you want something very very flashy, coz this isnt.
The buttons are placed perfectly for anyone to handle.
Orange Backlight looks nice with the mobile.
VERY lightweight!

As with the other SE models, removing the SIM card still remains a pain.

Camera :

2MP good enough. havnt taken any specific photos to test the lack of Auto Focus. Very effective Flash.
Video recording is OK (as with all such mobiles) and is taken in 3gp format.

Walkman/Speakers/FM Radio :

Very good! superb quality with the bundled earphones, and the speakers sound very good too!

Software Provided :
  • PC Suite to connect and transfer media
  • Quicktime
  • Adobe Photoshop Album SE (Has some image editing features)
  • Disc2Phone to transfer music from PC to phone

Though i dont like the PC Suite, so i am using a friend's recommendation of MyPhoneExplorer.

Havnt installed any appz into the mobile.

Bought it mainly for the mp3 playing feature and camera as a backup.

Photos :
  • Contents
  • Walkman
  • Mobile fits nicely into my hand
  • Photo taken with the W700i from the front of my home.
:cool2:

asdf1223 said:
nice review. but is the jack 3.5in or 2.5?

er... i dont understand your question..

for the earphones, its of 2 parts. on part is from the phone(this is SE standard) upto a socket (with mike). the earphones (with normal earphone pin) connects here.

i dont usually use any software to xfer files to my phone.. it shows up as a removable disk in my computer ?

@bottle: i like MyPhoneExplorer a lot.. it shows a lot of info too.. from temperature to available vs. used space of contacts, messages, memory, etc..
and its easy to transfer stuff..

nice quick review.... although i would like to get more details on the sound and camera quality and comparison with few other phones if possible :)

how abt edge foes it have this? and phones heat up too much while gprs? and um how abt the mass storage device function? how much memry is alloted for j2me whats the maximum limit of software tht can be installed say 512 kb .. anf and battery life with continous music listening? recharging time ans is it too prone to scratches etc?

@Icefusion:
I havnt used the latest Nokia equivalents, so i cannot compare it with them.
Cam Quality seems to be same as the k750i (since this is the only other similar SE i've used)
Like i said, havnt taken a lot of photos to find out the effect of AutoFocus

Sound:
the sound thro earphones and the speaker seems to be same for all the W series.. (though the w550i's speakers seem a bit louder :-? )

x86 said:
how abt edge foes it have this? and phones heat up too much while gprs? and um how abt the mass storage device function? how much memry is alloted for j2me whats the maximum limit of software tht can be installed say 512 kb .. anf and battery life with continous music listening? recharging time ans is it too prone to scratches etc?

It does not have EDGE and Wi-Fi.

Havnt used GPRS. My sis may try it once she gets back to Mumbai.

"mass storage device function" -> you mean does it recognize the mobile without any software? i dont know coz i've been having problems with the s/w on my PC, but using s/w it works perfectly on my sister's laptop.

Havnt installed any extra appz coz my sis does not want me to fiddle around with it.

I had to recharge the battery after 2 days of heavy use (i.e., few hours each of talking, listening to fm, mp3s, mp3s in speaker mode, and using the cam)

Body seems good, i do not think it'll get scratched easily.

Nice review....repped ya :D

But I have a suggestion,... you could have formatted it better.

Make the titles in colour(red is my preferred choice) and bold and increase the size.

Like, "Contents of the Box:-" , "Looks", etc....etc..... these sort of titles could have been bigger, in colour and in bold.

Would make it much easier to read.

But otherwise, nice review!!

hey great review... i dont think this is exactly a budgeted phone!! that category belongs to the 550i and maybe to the 750i too! ;)

btw how is transfering stuff to the mem card and the phone? slow/fast?? is it usb 2?

and what exactly is the difference between the 750i and the w700? i can see that the earphones are different.. anything else?

@Nikhil: Sorry dude, my sis was killing me here.. i nearly dropped it once too :eek: so that made her mad.
I promise i'll properly format my future reviews (2 coming up now hopefully).
@Chic_Magnet: Yes, its USB 2.0
I managed to transfer a 7 mb mp3 from lappie to memory stick in 13-14 seconds.
I dont think theres any other difference between this and a k750i! only looks different and has the Walkman label on it..

Nice review mate.

I think that UI in w700 is same as w810. This means that it gets flash support and also a slightly better browser with rss feeds .
This is one are where it is better then them

Back