Want to buy a Washing Machine

ubergeek

Skilled
so confused rite now we are using ground water the tank is situated 10meters above us, we are yet to workout the load though but I think we are planning to use the washing machine 3 or 4 times a week and the load will be around 6kilos with this in mind can you please reccomend which wm to go for also our water is not that hard

Which siemens model# are you using currently. How long have you had it.

6 kilos is too much for one load. How did you measure this.

You'll have to break it down into smaller loads. Read this article. Usable weight is what you are interested in.

a9wEJaE.gif

Which siemens model# are you using currently. How long have you had it.

6 kilos is too much for one load. How did you measure this.

You'll have to break it down into smaller loads. Read this article. Usable weight is what you are interested in.

a9wEJaE.gif
Siemens a0716 I think we didn't use the machine properly the machine was used on a daily basis and my dad used fill it beyond its capacity rite now the washin g machine is defunct the Siemens guy told us the drum change will cost us 12k so we thought of going for a n new washing machine also the six kilo is a rough estimation

How long did you use it for before it broke ?

You have to get the load weight right. So try and measure it.

Overloading which seems likely in your case shortens the life of the machine and gives you a bad wash. You're just wetting the clothes not cleaning them.

How long did you use it for before it broke ?

You have to get the load weight right. So try and measure it.

Overloading which seems likely in your case shortens the life of the machine and gives you a bad wash. You're just wetting the clothes not cleaning them.
Well we used it for 5 years and after the third year we had to change the drum which cost us 6K 3 years back. from what i observed after reading your post i realize that we were overloading the washing machine on daily basis and that caused the drum to conk off. but with the new machine we will be feeding hte clothes as you have prescribed in your previous posts. It would be really helpful if you could answer the following questions

1. Which brand offers the best and cheap after sale service after the warranty period gets over? for simens we had to pay 800rs just o consult with a srvice personnel :(
  2. Please tell me which brand of washing machine has spares which are available readily also the cost of the spares should be nominal
  3. We have been using FL for past 5 years, if we choose to switch to a TL what diffrence would it make except for the cost/
  4. are spares readily available for TL machines?
  5. are TL machines easy to repair?
  6. If i were to purchase TL machine which brand should i go for?
  7. if it were to purchse FL maching which brand should i go for? (except siemens)
Thanks,
UG

After a lot of thought i estimated that i would be washing 1.5-3 kilos of dry clothes in a single wash.
and this time we will be doing it 3 or maximum 4 times a week.
I have zeroed in on the following models
LG F8091MDL2
i have decieded on LG because
1. i think there will be no problems with the spare parts availability unlike bosch or siemens which cost way lot more
2. and engineer visit cost 160rs if no repairs are made and if repairs are made 360Rs

After a lot of thought i estimated that i would be washing 1.5-3 kilos of dry clothes in a single wash.
How many 20 litre buckets is that per wash ?

weight is not very helpful, how much volume taken up by the dry clothes determines what size is best.

I have zeroed in on the following models
LG F8091MDL2
i have decieded on LG because
1. i think there will be no problems with the spare parts availability unlike bosch or siemens which cost way lot more
2. and engineer visit cost 160rs if no repairs are made and if repairs are made 360Rs
Cannot comment much unless you nail down your load requirement.

5.5kg DD means smaller capacity than your previous siemens of the same weight rating. It's a little over quarter bucket difference when loaded properly. Improperly loaded will be much more given what you did earlier. I also think you will have to do more than 3-4 washes per week with a smaller size machine.

What other problems did you face with the siemens that required so many visits that the cost of the visit becomes a factor in your choice ? Besides drum change were there any other problems. What were they.

You faced two drum changes in less than six years whereas the average when talking to people here is first drum change after 6-8 years. That too washing almost every day. This is the difference between overloading to the point of abuse and proper loading.

How many 20 litre buckets is that per wash ?

weight is not very helpful, how much volume taken up by the dry clothes determines what size is best.

Cannot comment much unless you nail down your load requirement.

5.5kg DD means smaller capacity than your previous siemens of the same weight rating. It's a little over quarter bucket difference when loaded properly. Improperly loaded will be much more given what you did earlier. I also think you will have to do more than 3-4 washes per week with a smaller size machine.

What other problems did you face with the siemens that required so many visits that the cost of the visit becomes a factor in your choice ? Besides drum change were there any other problems. What were they.

You faced two drum changes in less than six years whereas the average when talking to people here is first drum change after 6-8 years. That too washing almost every day. This is the difference between overloading to the point of abuse and proper loading.
Hi @blr_p

I think I have nailed down the load requirement , as you said I filled a bucket with 20 litre of water using the weighing scale and I found out that we used to fill the 20 liter bucket up to the brim with dry clothes and we used to stuff all the clothes into our Siemens machine for washing. So we used to wash 20litres of clothes every day using the Siemens machine the mode we selected was full wash cycle and the heater temperature was kept at 40degrees. We used to wash 20 liters of clothes ever day 7 days a week per wash. To answer your question it is 20liters of clothes per wash every day.

Apart from drum change we never had any problems with the !machine.
And we would have called the Siemens guy only twice when using the machine

Get a measuring tape and measure the depth and height (diameter) of the inner drum. Try to aovid the paddles when you do this. Mention both figures in inches or cms.

Need to confirm the volume of your present machine's inner drum.

Get a measuring tape and measure the depth and height (diameter) of the inner drum. Try to aovid the paddles when you do this. Mention both figures in inches or cms.

Need to confirm the volume of your present machine's inner drum.
Depth is 25 CMS from the opening
Height is 46.5 Cms

Last edited:
Depth is 25 CMS from the opening
Height is 46.5 Cms
And that works out to the same volume as a 6kg Bosch or Siemens that sells today which is around 43 litres. proper load (60%) means around 26 litres.

Hi @blr_p

I think I have nailed down the load requirement , as you said I filled a bucket with 20 litre of water using the weighing scale and I found out that we used to fill the 20 liter bucket up to the brim with dry clothes and we used to stuff all the clothes into our Siemens machine for washing. So we used to wash 20litres of clothes every day using the Siemens machine the mode we selected was full wash cycle and the heater temperature was kept at 40degrees. We used to wash 20 liters of clothes ever day 7 days a week per wash. To answer your question it is 20liters of clothes per wash every day.

Apart from drum change we never had any problems with the !machine.
And we would have called the Siemens guy only twice when using the machine
ok, your current siemens can handle your present load. If you go with that lg it has a volume of 36 litres which means proper load is 21 litres or just one bucket is a full load. It's smaller and you will notice 20% smaller size difference but just fits your requirement. There is no extra margin. Check features of 6kg models too to see whether they have anything you need. Volume will be the same.

Has this been your avg load over five years ? if it is then you have not been overloading the machine as you're within the limits for siemens. I don't understand how you had a drum problem in just three years as you said water was not hard. Maybe it was exceeded, make sure the person that uses the washing machine understands and sticks to this limit per wash. Ask also whether they noticed the machine would frequently stop the spin early with clothes still wet.

What kind of detergent do you use ?

Last edited:
And that works out to the same volume as a 6kg Bosch or Siemens that sells today which is around 43 litres. proper load (60%) means around 26 litres.

ok, your current siemens can handle your present load. If you go with that lg it has a volume of 36 litres which means proper load is 21 litres or just one bucket is a full load. It's smaller and you will notice 20% smaller size difference but just fits your requirement. There is no extra margin. Check features of 6kg models too to see whether they have anything you need. Volume will be the same.

Has this been your avg load over five years ? if it is then you have not been overloading the machine as you're within the limits for siemens. I don't understand how you had a drum problem in just three years as you said water was not hard. Maybe it was exceeded, make sure the person that uses the washing machine understands and sticks to this limit per wash. Ask also whether they noticed the machine would frequently stop the spin early with clothes still wet.

What kind of detergent do you use ?

Yeah your right some of the clothes would be bit damp after a wash cycle gets over. i dont know whether the machine stops the spin early but after a full wash cycle gets over the clothes will be 35% wet of which some of them are very damp.
I have seen my father Ram the clothes inside sometimes he used to roll up the clothes before feeding it to the machine.
As for the detergent sometimes we use Surf bottom loader or ariel or even tide. i have seen sometimes my father use the detergents meant for top loading machines.
Thanks a lot for answering my queries patiently you have been very helpful :D.

Rolling up the clothes isn't a good idea because only the part that rubs against other clothes will get clean. In a roll the inner part won't be disturbed too much. It can always unroll later but putting them in loose is the way to go. Better cleaning in a front loader results when larger surface area of the clothes rub against each other. Idea is to mimic hand washing. Instead of just spinning them around like in a top loader. A roll means less volume and hence more clothes will fit so you decide.

What spin speed did you set usually ? the machine will halt the spin if it senses an out of balance and this is to protect the machine from violent spinning. This happens when clothes that absorb water differently are mixed the result is certain areas of the drum are heavier than others. Balancing is tricky, sometimes nothing you do will work. Washing like with like is one way. More likely to happen when drum isn't full or under half load. But you can always wash just don't use spin. So a machine that allows to cancel spin at the end of a wash is a useful feature to have.

Setting the slowest spin speed means the least stress on the drum. Course this defeats the purpose of spin dry but if you're not in a hurry to get your clothes dry then you get longer machine life. Detergents you use are fine.

I don't know whether your new machine will last longer as it's still not very clear why the current did not last as long as others.

Rolling up the clothes isn't a good idea because only the part that rubs against other clothes will get clean. In a roll the inner part won't be disturbed too much. It can always unroll later but putting them in loose is the way to go. Better cleaning in a front loader results when larger surface area of the clothes rub against each other. Idea is to mimic hand washing. Instead of just spinning them around like in a top loader. A roll means less volume and hence more clothes will fit so you decide.

What spin speed did you set usually ? the machine will halt the spin if it senses an out of balance and this is to protect the machine from violent spinning. This happens when clothes that absorb water differently are mixed the result is certain areas of the drum are heavier than others. Balancing is tricky, sometimes nothing you do will work. Washing like with like is one way. More likely to happen when drum isn't full or under half load. But you can always wash just don't use spin. So a machine that allows to cancel spin at the end of a wash is a useful feature to have.

Setting the slowest spin speed means the least stress on the drum. Course this defeats the purpose of spin dry but if you're not in a hurry to get your clothes dry then you get longer machine life. Detergents you use are fine.

I don't know whether your new machine will last longer as it's still not very clear why the current did not last as long as others.
Your reply is very disconcerting. So the machine we got was of poor build quality i take?. What do you think would have been the issue when my machine breaks down like this?

Also i would like to add In my old machine i observed some rust on the body. in the siemens washing machine i have i dont have any provision to adjust the spin speed

Last edited:
How long a machine lasts is primarily down to how you use it, number of cycles or how long the drum is rated to last which is a secret. Build quality is more or less the same for these machines with the only extras being more capacity and features. More capacity means less use as you get more done in one wash within spec.

Entry level machines are around the 1000 cycle mark, that is once a day for a little over three years.
Mid range as in the ones made in Germany or Korea rather than elsewhere last around the 2000 cycle mark or six years.

I think you can pick a figure in between to get an idea of how long it should last provided you do not over load or have hard water. Found people here told me they have managed to get 6-8 years of use. So there is variability and pushing over the 2000 cycle mark is possible.

Found some one with the same model as yours got a drum change done in three years as well. This is with 4 adults and a kid running 15-20 washes per week. Did you have this kind of use ? thought your loading is half that amount.

Current machines allow you to change spin speed. The idea here is slower speeds put less stain on the drum. Since we live in a warm country, drying times are shorter compared to colder countries. High humidity will affect this though.

How long a machine lasts is primarily down to how you use it, number of cycles or how long the drum is rated to last which is a secret. Build quality is more or less the same for these machines with the only extras being more capacity and features. More capacity means less use as you get more done in one wash within spec.

Entry level machines are around the 1000 cycle mark, that is once a day for a little over three years.
Mid range as in the ones made in Germany or Korea rather than elsewhere last around the 2000 cycle mark or six years.

I think you can pick a figure in between to get an idea of how long it should last provided you do not over load or have hard water. Found people here told me they have managed to get 6-8 years of use. So there is variability and pushing over the 2000 cycle mark is possible.

Found some one with the same model as yours got a drum change done in three years as well. This is with 4 adults and a kid running 15-20 washes per week. Did you have this kind of use ? thought your loading is half that amount.

Current machines allow you to change spin speed. The idea here is slower speeds put less stain on the drum. Since we live in a warm country, drying times are shorter compared to colder countries. High humidity will affect this though.

We used to do 7 washes per week that is each wash per day and full wash cycle i.e(Rinse+Spin the whole thing) the water is little hard id say because it does leave some residue after boiling it. we live by the sea but our water is not that salty. what if we skip the spin cycle altogether and just dry out the clothes normally. would that increase the longevity of the washing machine?

what if we skip the spin cycle altogether and just dry out the clothes normally. would that increase the longevity of the washing machine?
Yes, its a bit of a pain though.

Spin makes up a small part of the entire wash cycle, adds stress which can be more if the load is unbalanced and you have some but not much control over. Avoiding overloading will have a bigger impact.

Try adding a quarter more detergent to counter the hard water.

Back