Graphic Cards Want to buy Asus GTX 680!

spitfire7

Disciple
I reside in Chennai. I called up Delta Peripherals and apparently they do not have it. To me, Flipkart seems to be overpriced. Any ideas/suggestions?

^there is a 680 on sale in the sale section..have a look

It is by saifbukhari, OP has turned him down.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Get the HD 7970 3GB card, over-clock it and enjoy; performance of the two cards is neck-to-neck and the latest Catalyst drivers are testimony to the fact that they are not crappy.

Another factor is that the HD 79** series is available much more easily. nVidia is facing issues supplying the enthusiast diaspora all over.

It is by saifbukhari, OP has turned him down.

Get the HD 7970 3GB card, over-clock it and enjoy; performance of the two cards is neck-to-neck and the latest Catalyst drivers are testimony to the fact that they are not crappy.

Another factor is that the HD 79** series is available much more easily. nVidia is facing issues supplying the enthusiast diaspora all over.

I am thinking of getting an Asus Nvidia GTX 670 DC2 2 GB. It is listed for Rs. 28227 on Flipkart. For that price and performance, it is a BEAST! Apparently it is out of stock. What do you think? Is there any other site which sells it?

I am thinking of getting an Asus Nvidia GTX 670 DC2 2 GB. It is listed for Rs. 28227 on Flipkart. For that price and performance, it is a BEAST! Apparently it is out of stock. What do you think? Is there any other site which sells it?

I am thinking of getting an Asus Nvidia GTX 670 DC2 2 GB. It is listed for Rs. 28227 on Flipkart. For that price and performance, it is a BEAST!

You can look at hardwire.in, but be warned I have no idea how their service is.

Again I reiterate that you better go for a HD 79** series card, because --
  • their performance is at par;
  • they are available in most metros at the major shops [OR you can ask for a demo];
  • slightly cheaper.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

You can look at hardwire.in, but be warned I have no idea how their service is.

Again I reiterate that you better go for a HD 79** series card, because --
  • their performance is at par;
  • they are available in most metros at the major shops [OR you can ask for a demo];
  • slightly cheaper.

I will be using softwares like Maya, UDK, Unity, Zbrush, Photoshop. I will also be playing games such as Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, Max Payne 3. Please consider this and the price per performance. GTX 670 DC2T 2 GB is available on Primeabgb for Rs. 29,500 whereas MSI 7970 3 GB OC is Rs. 34,200 on SMCInternational. I am confused. I am now in Chennai. I will be visiting Mumbai next month.

I will be using softwares like Maya, UDK, Unity, Zbrush, Photoshop. I will also be playing games such as Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, Max Payne 3. Please consider this and the price per performance. GTX 670 DC2T 2 GB is available on Primeabgb for Rs. 29,500 whereas MSI 7970 3 GB OC is Rs. 34,200 on SMCInternational. I am confused. I am now in Chennai. I will be visiting Mumbai next month.

Actually the raw compute performance of the AMD HD 79** series cards is far in excess of the GTX 6** series.

I do agree that nVidia has better 3rd party tools and applications for Adobe and AUTODESK [integration is seamless], for the rest of the software I think the CPU will be derivative of the performance factor [especially when it comes to rendering].

Apart from this I have nothing to contribute and it is wholly your call, Cheerio!!

Since you'll be gaming as well utilize your GPU for compute purpose too. Get HD 7970. It isn't far behind in games and is 45%; better than GTX 680 in compute power.

@spitfire7 The HD7970 is way better then GTX 680. I have given you the link to specify the difference. GTX680 take much much to run, But in HD7970 case it will take less power and give you the awesome performance.
AnandTech - AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition Review: Battling For The Performance Crown

You are wrong there DMC, the HD 7970 3GB cards performance is at par with the GTX 680 [in certain titles like Battlefield 3 nVidia cards are better]; the overall performance is pretty much standard and you cannot really go wrong with either card. Also the tables are turned this time around, the nVidia GTX 6** series cards have better power consumption numbers than comparable AMD models and run cooler.

The AMD HD 7*** series cards have one ace up their sleeve that is their raw GPGPU performance has gone up thanks to the revamped Graphics Core Next architecture.

Here is a benchmark run of the two cards --> AnandTech - Bench - GPU12.

Last edited by a moderator:
Avoid the 680 like plague then. Its OpenGL performance is horribly castrated by the drivers. Don't believe me - just check this link. The 7970 murders the 680 in professional apps. NVIDIA wants people running professional apps to buy quadros plain and simple.

AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition Review - Tahiti's Boost from Overclocking and Drivers by VR-Zone.com

I run maya, houdini and custom opengl apps on it all the time and the card is bloody fast. In fact it feels faster than my office Quadro 4800.

Here are some more threads with OpenGL performance issues of nvidia geforce cards

http://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...opengl-performance-with-geforce-580590-gtx/p1

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=185623

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=223390

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=232426

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=187087

The biggest issue with the AMD cards was the selection slowness and it is completely fixed in catalyst 12.4.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

Also just to add, a few things such as two sided lighting, line antialiasing and quad buffer stereo are disabled on the geforce cards to make you buy quadros. However these are still active on the radeons.

Avoid the 680 like plague then. Its OpenGL performance is horribly castrated by the drivers. Don't believe me - just check this link. The 7970 murders the 680 in professional apps. NVIDIA wants people running professional apps to buy quadros plain and simple.

AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition Review - Tahiti's Boost from Overclocking and Drivers by VR-Zone.com

I run maya, houdini and custom opengl apps on it all the time and the card is bloody fast. In fact it feels faster than my office Quadro 4800.

Here are some more threads with OpenGL performance issues of nvidia geforce cards

Very Slow Opengl Performance with Geforce 580/590 gtx - NVIDIA Developer Forums
OpenGL performance issue under Win 7 x64 - NVIDIA Forums

Poor OpenGL performance - NVIDIA Forums

Not getting the expected performance boost by GTX680 (Linux/OpenGL) - NVIDIA Forums

OpenGL performance loss between 19x and 25x/26x drivers - NVIDIA Forums

The biggest issue with the AMD cards was the selection slowness and it is completely fixed in catalyst 12.4.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

Also just to add, a few things such as two sided lighting, line antialiasing and quad buffer stereo are disabled on the geforce cards to make you buy quadros. However these are still active on the radeons.

Wow. That was detailed. Thank you very much. I have made up my mind to buy a 7970 but i am not sure about the brand. Please suggest?

Get whatever is the cheapest. I have an asus reference design. I have to admit that in an odd game or two it gets noisy - metro 2033 primarily. See if you can find one with a custom cooler. In maya, it so quiet, I can't hear it at all.

NV cards have better cooling plain and simple. In comparison, the AMDs sound like leaf blowers. Its sad NV ruined their cards for folks like us. My previous 8800 was whisper quiet and worked beautifully.

Wow. That was detailed. Thank you very much. I have made up my mind to buy a 7970 but i am not sure about the brand. Please suggest?

Look at Sapphire / GIGABYTE and MSi. ASUS is also an option but their after sales is shaky.

Also Sapphire and GIGABYTE are available from a lot of sources as well some deal threads in the TE market.

@Chaos has the Linux performance gone down with the new Kepler cards OR is this is a driver issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chaos has the Linux performance gone down with the new Kepler cards OR is this is a driver issue?

Drivers aren't optimized yet. So performance is seemingly pretty bad. Also 3D in Linux is pure OpenGL so any driver based castration of a card will be noticed immediately.

I have no idea what NV gains by doing this. They are losing paying customers like me, spitfire and the likes who buy cards for games and some pro apps, coding here and there.

Drivers aren't optimized yet. So performance is seemingly pretty bad. Also 3D in Linux is pure OpenGL so any driver based castration of a card will be noticed immediately.

I have no idea what NV gains by doing this. They are losing paying customers like me, spitfire and the likes who buy cards for games and some pro apps, coding here and there.

So basically anyone who has bought a GTX 4** and above series card will have 0 capability for development OR will be severely curtailed in their potential by their 'lacklustre' performance in the specific environment.

Then they go about trumpeting the alleged superiority of CUDA in development circles. Why are they resident on a gaming card at all [and I do not intend encoding / decoding HD-content]!!

So basically anyone who has bought a GTX 4** and above series card will have 0 capability for development OR will be severely curtailed in their potential by their 'lacklustre' performance in the specific environment.

You'll be able to write code but some code paths which are normal workflows in many GL productivity apps are nerfed in drivers. So these will run very very slow and will be kinda unusable. It'll work as proof of concept but getting any real performance will be hard.

A strange thing what many a folks have posted online is that a codepath that works perfectly well in cuda and d3d will just not work in GL. Also don't get me started on the gpu compute performance of kepler. It is horrible especially with double precision.

A strange thing what many a folks have posted online is that a codepath that works perfectly well in cuda and d3d will just not work in GL. Also don't get me started on the gpu compute performance of kepler. It is horrible especially with double precision.

Ummm... I thought CUDA was a proprietary architecture by nVidia so such intrinsic issues will creep in thanks to the differing hardware used on ground by the end-user [You, me, spitfire07].

You had already told me that infact you had clarified to me what is FP64 and FP32 computing in an earlier thread. So, cheerio!!

I did not want to start a new thread and might be going out of topic. I have trouble deciding between the i7 2600k and i7 3770k. i7 3770k is overpriced and availability is a major issue. So for now i have decided to go for an i7 2700k. Yes, i still want your advice/opinion. I will be overclocking if necessary in the near future. I do not know which motherboard would be the best for an i7 2700k/i7 3770k.

Just so you know, I have already bought the following parts:

Nzxt Phantom Full Tower Case
Thermal Right Silver Arrow Dual 14cm Fan Cooler
Gskill F3 12800 Cl9d 8gb Xl Ram

Back