Laptops Want to upgrade RAM of Lenovo y50

Sobirvs

Skilled
So recently bought it, and looks like playing games in high settings is going good but ram usage comes up for 92% usage.

This laptop already has 8gb ram, and want to upgrade to 8gb more but I don't know which one is best and which one to buy as I haven't have experience in this stuff.

here's my cpu-z

Mine is haswell so upon google search, looks like I have to buy DDR3L ram only. also, it has something to do with voltage and MHZ aswell. Pin used is 204 system I think. Please guide :)

Upon more google search, Current one in my laptop is this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-original-204-pin-PC3L-12800-1600MHz/dp/B00I21G832

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 294
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 309
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Your DRAM frequency is 800mhz. This means the RAM is 1600 mhz because of parellel processing. (800 both sides)

If you have a slot free get another 8gb 1600 mhz RAM.

Corsair are the best but a little expensive.

Your DRAM frequency is 800mhz. This means the RAM is 1600 mhz because of parellel processing. (800 both sides)

If you have a slot free get another 8gb 1600 mhz RAM.

Corsair are the best but a little expensive.

I see price ranges b/w 5k-6k, I can manage :) Will be buying in 3-4 days, is there any deals available?

Corsair vengeance? Have heard good things abt it, let me know which one to buy, I want the best as I am thinking long term , not cheap ram's which fail after some time :) also possibily with indian warranty.

and yea I have a slot left, but I am confused abt which to buy. What abt ddr vs ddr3L ?? What abt haswell only ram recommendations as someone told me they will only work.

I'm looking for more RAM too.
I've got a Lenovo g50-45 with an AMD A8 processor, and I've currently got 1 4GB stick of DDR3 1600 1.35v RAM.
Can I use 1866mhz RAM? Will it increase performance? I'm going to palm of the 4GB stick, so compatibility with my current RAM isn't a problem, but does my laptop support DDR3 1866 1.35v RAM?
I'm considering buying this from primeabgb : http://www.primeabgb.com/gskill-f3-1866c11s-8grsl-notebook-ram-memory.html

Last edited:
No your 1866mhz RAM will run at 1600 mhz only.

I found visible difference between 4 to 8 gb so if you can would suggest you to upgrade.

I was referring to the difference between 1600 and 1866. Obviously, there'll be a difference when I add more RAM, hence the upgrade.
But, why won't the RAM run at 1866?

^ Which A8 APU? A8 6410? It does support 1866, so should run at that speed assuming you will be removing the slower 1600 stick.

Sometimes upgrading only ram doesn't really help to run your games...most games run fine at 4gb too if you have a powerful enough gpu, that is why i don't recommend laptops for gaming, they have these mobile chipsets which really really dont do justice to the price/performance ratio...so if you want to do gaming build yourself a nice rig...coz upgrading ram may feel like a solution now but in long run u will see its just waste of money. Sorry for going a bit out of topic..:)

Sometimes upgrading only ram doesn't really help to run your games...most games run fine at 4gb too if you have a powerful enough gpu, that is why i don't recommend laptops for gaming, they have these mobile chipsets which really really dont do justice to the price/performance ratio...so if you want to do gaming build yourself a nice rig...coz upgrading ram may feel like a solution now but in long run u will see its just waste of money. Sorry for going a bit out of topic..:)

No worries. I travel to different cities, so investing in a rig is not worth for me right now. May be after 4-5 years that i settle down, then definitely :D

Upgrading RAM may not have a great performance on the games but the difference in day to day tasks is certainly visible.

Back